Proposal stories!

LadyofRohan

Mummy to Éowyn
Reaction score
Ok, ladies, I need another distraction from thinking about babies! :wacko: Tell me how your DF/DHs proposed!

My story:

DH and I had been dating for about 8 months when we went on holiday to Paris the week after Christmas. We spent a few days walking around, seeing the sights and touring the museums. One night we walked all the way to the Eiffel Tower from our hotel (it was quite a hike, and it was freezing) and watched the tower light up. Then we walked around the grounds. DH asked me a few times if I had to use the bathroom. I kept on saying no, that I'd be ok for a few hours, lol. He was acting really nervous (he's never nervous--he's the most confident person I know!) and he said "let's find someplace to sit."

So we find an empty bench and I was watching the lights on the Eiffel Tower and he said something to me (can't remember what) and when I turned to him to answer he was on his knee holding a box out with a beautiful ring in it. He said "will you marry me?"

Unfortunately I was taken by complete surprise (remember, we'd only been dating 8 months) and the first words out of my mouth were "you're joking!?"

Poor DH had a very confused look before I shouted "Yes!" and burst into tears.

We walked back to our hotel (I was smiling ear to ear the whole time, my face started to hurt, lol) and called our family to tell them the news! Then we had a wonderful, amazing dinner at a really really nice restaurant.

We were married 10 months after that. :kiss:

Well me and OH had been talking about getting engaged and so we went and looked at rings because my OH was adamant he wanted me to pick so i wouldnt be 'disappointed' with his choice :dohh: I wasnt really that fussy! So this was November 2006, so we'd been together for 8 months.

I didn't know when he was going to actually propose... but i told him he had to ask my Dads permission as i'm the only daughter and a daddys girl lol.
We moved into our new house on friday the 1st December and on the Sunday, we were in the house, i was rushing around as we were abouts to go out, and i turned around and he was down on one knee in front of me :happydance: i knew straught away, so he barely got out "will you marry me" and i jumped on him lol

:cloud9:

Well me and OH had been talking about getting engaged and so we went and looked at rings because my OH was adamant he wanted me to pick so i wouldnt be 'disappointed' with his choice :dohh: I wasnt really that fussy! So this was November 2006, so we'd been together for 8 months.

I didn't know when he was going to actually propose... but i told him he had to ask my Dads permission as i'm the only daughter and a daddys girl lol.
We moved into our new house on friday the 1st December and on the Sunday, we were in the house, i was rushing around as we were abouts to go out, and i turned around and he was down on one knee in front of me :happydance: i knew straught away, so he barely got out "will you marry me" and i jumped on him lol

:cloud9:

We had also talked about it and i had pointed a a couple of ring styles i like as oh didn't want to just pick one!! This was about march time and we had been together just over a year!

In the May we went to center parcs for a long weekend. On the Saturday he packed a picnic and we went for a walk, found a lovely little spot in the middle of loads of trees just the two of us. We sat talking an eating and the next thing I knew he was on one Knee with a little box in his hand asking me to marry him!!! I obviously said yes through the tears!! He then pulled out a bottle of champagne and glasses!!! :cloud9:

DH and I had purchased our brand new home in September 2007. Well in January of 2008,
he came home early from work and said "let's go look at the land." I'm thinking, it is just a piece of frozen land, no house yet, why the heck do we have to go look at it. So I agreed, and we took the dog. We got to our future property, and we got out of the car, and it was sooooo cold and windy. Because it is January, and a big open field. So when I turned around, he had this red box and I knew right away. He didn't get down on his knee (because the ground had snow), but he just asked and it was perfect.

Then we went out for dinner, I could hardly eat because I was so excited and nervous at the same time. That was almost 2 years ago now, and we are so in love. He is my world and my life. :)

Aww such cute stories!

Mine is nothing like that :rofl:

We'd been talking about it every so often and we'd just moved into our own flat from living with my parents... My parents we going through a really rough patch and on the verge of splitting up.

One night we were laying in bed when he just randomly said 'I was going to ask you to marry me but I don't know if it's such a good idea with what's going on with your parents'. I done the whole 'we've got to live our own life, they'll be happy for us etc etc'.

Then the next day he said if I still wanted to get married, then why don't we go shopping and look at some rings. So we did and I come home with a gorgeous ring that we picked together.

I think it wasn't until a few days later when I said to him that does he realise he hasn't actually asked me so I made him get down on one knee and ask hahah... It wasn't anywhere romantic, just in the front room on a random weekend afternoon!

We had never intended to get married we started going out together in 1992 when I was 18 and finishing off my final year at high school. I spent the next 6 years living away from home at university but we were still together and seen each other regularly. We were together for about 10 years before he proposed. We had always spoken about it saying there was no need for us to get married we had been together a long time.

One day we were in Fort William, it was an anniversary of when we started going out together and we had climbed Ben Nevis and once we got to the top, the weather was getting bad cloudy with some rain coming in so we knew we had to hurry to get back down again, there was no one there just us and he proposed. He did not have a ring as it was a decision he made as we were climbing the mountain.

Obviously I said yes and we are still together 17 years later.. we have our first baby and you know the best thing is I know I am so lucky because number 1 I still like him and we get on very well, but I still love him to death. He is my best friend in the world.

Its lovely to hear everyone elses story too... its fantastic.

Copied from my journal so its in the tense of the day it happened!!

Ok, you want the story, here it is!!!! Not what most people may class as how they want to get engaged but if you know us, it was perfect!!!!!!

We had been out at a shoot this morning and popped home to drop the stuff off before heading to town for some shopping. We got the bits we wanted to re-do the bathroom and then headed to good old Greggs for some quick lunch.

Headed back to the car and drove to "our" spot which is a lovely wooded area and we often sit in the car park there with some lunch talking and listening the footie on a weekend. Anyway, there we were, me looking like a tramp in my old faithful jeans, hoodie and ugg boots, covered in pasty crumbs and not a care in the world. We finished eating and my boy asked me if I had any Rennie (he suffers terrbily with indegestion!) and I said no so he went into his pocket and I was looking out the window.

Turned around and he was holding the most beautiful ring and just said, "Pops, will you make me the happiest man in the world and marry me" and I just stared and the next thing I knew I was in tears and all I could muster was "are you kidding, is it real

I think because it was so unexpected I just couldn't see how it could be happeneing and I even thought he had found a toy ring or something!!!

After a few minutes he said "Pops, please say something" to which I squealed yes and he popped the ring on my finger and we had the biggest hug ever.....

We sat there just smiling for ages then I called my folks and almost deafened my poor Mumsy and then went to the inlaws and lots of tears ensued there too.

It is just the nicest feeling, I am amazingly happy and it was just perfect.

We aren't the sort to get togged up and go to posh restaurants so if he had done that it just wouldnt have been him or us. His style was just this and it was perfect.

Like he said, he wanted to get the surprise element and boy, did he do that!!

My ring he had made for me and it was supposed to be here on my birthday but the diamond came from SA and it didn't show up in time for the jewellers to make it. It is platinum and is a 1/2 carrat princess cut solitare and I love it soooooooooooooo much. I cant stop looking at it.

So yeah, October 3rd is going down as one of the best days of my life.

Our folks asked if we had any thoughts about when the wedding would be yet and I said not really but my boyo said if I wanted to he would like to this time next year which just made me even happier

I am soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo happy

xxx

mine is actually pretty funny.

We were about to move in together, and he sent me a text message while I was filling out the paper work and what not. It said, Babe, do you love me.

And I knew right then that he wanted to propose. We always said that we were gonna wait until we were sure that we wanted only each other. So I called my best friend and told her, before I even answered him, and asked her what I should do. and she coached me through it. So I answered him back saying yes I do, then he goes well i have a question for you when you stop by later.

I arrive all anticipating and happy but trying not to show it. But he chickened out. I was so sad. I had to drag it out of him and tell him that I will say yes if he just asked. So he asked.

You're all so lucky. Two kiddies down the line and my OH still hasn't proposed, I don't think he wants me like that. I'm pretty sad about it :(

3 and a half year laters im still waiting. Wev discussed getting married and we know we are, Im just waiting for him to save for a ring.

Im still unengaged.. but I reckon as soon as we start living together, that will change. (or at least I hope it does!!)

Your stories are lovely girls. Im so jealous!

xxxx

What lovely stories! Mine is slightly different shall we say!

DH has never exactly been the sort for showing emotion, so I was never really expecting the whole 'down on one knee thing'.

I had arrived home from work looking pretty rough, he was sitting in the lounge on his computer. As I walked in he shouted ' grab me a can of coke out the fridge'. I'd had a pretty stressful day and all I wanted to do was kick my shoes off and lay on the sofa, so my response to him was ' get it yourself'!!! We argued back and forth for about 10 minutes with me getting more and more annoyed with him. To the point where I stormed in the kitchen grabbed his can of coke out the fridge and slammed it down in front of him.
He seemed pretty shocked that I was still in a mood, and asked 'was there anything else in the fridge'. I was still annoyed so probably shouted something like 'of course there is'!
He then went into the kitchen and asked me to follow him, then got me to look in the fridge where my ring was waiting on the shelf!!! I didnt really know what to say and the rest is kind of foggy!
His plan was obviously for me to find it when I got him a drink, but very rarely in our lives do things go completely to plan!

So there is my story, lol. We've been together a few weeks shy of 8 years, got married last year and have 2 gorgeous girlies!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->