Pro's and Con's for induction at 42 wks?

New2Bumps

Mummy to 2 gorgeous boys
Reaction score
Hi ladies

I posted a thread in Natural Parenting https://babyandbump.momtastic.com/natural-parenting/1409907-thoughts-comments-research-induction-sweeps.html but hoped you ladies would have some knowledge too.

My last LO was early so this was never an option for me, but it seems most mommies lump for induction asap. My instinct was not to try and force something that isn't happening naturally, and in the back of my mind I have the idea that after 42 weeks the placenta becomes less effective.

Can any of you shed any light on the 'safe' period in which you can refuse induction, if this ever becomes an option for me.

Thanks in advance x

ETA: Have read info in this post, very helpful :) https://babyandbump.momtastic.com/home-natural-birthing/1332535-would-you-go-over-42-weeks.html

Personally I'd never induce just because I was overdue. I'd not induce at any time unless there was a clear medical indication to do so. Normal gestation for humans is 38-42 weeks so a woman isn't even overdue until 42 weeks and the EDD is just an estimate and for many women 44 weeks is normal (and can run in families). There are some great webpages on 10 month mammas. This article below explains how babies initiate labour when their lungs are mature enough to breath air - it's about the baby being ready not looking at the calendar.

https://www.drmomma.org/2008/01/fetal-lungs-protein-release-triggers.html

I was induced at 42 weeks and bubba arrived at 42+3. Placenta and baby were both fine so could have gone a bit longer although he had meconium in the water which apparently is common when they are overdue xx

I went to almost 42 weeks with Philippe and I would have refused induction beyond then as well. To me, it just wasn't worth the trauma we dealt with in my previous induction.

I would never do it again. My first was 13 days "late" and induced and even though it was pretty straight forward compared to some it was really painful, I gave in to gas and air, my daughter was tiny, and I didn't feel like she was really due. My son was 9 days late, so my body obviously holds babies a little longer than average. His labour was a walk in the park. No pain relief. I loved every minute of it.

My aunt and grandma all were pregnant till nearly 43 weeks and had healthy babies, 10 between them. Sometimes your body just cooks 'em slower. Unless there is a reason, like a weak heartbeat or some other serious concern, I'd rather avoid induction. It comes with its own set of issues and complications, which could wind up being for nothing.

Yes, it makes a mockery of the "do no harm" oath when medical professionals induce babies for no medical reason even though they know it can harm them.

I went to 42+4 (18 days past EDD) and caved into intense pressure from MW, Dr and family to induce .... I'm sure I would've started naturally within days if I'd been left alone. I arrived at the hospital for induction already having irregular contractions, had a prostin pessary inserted and delivered my son in a birth pool 3 hours later.

I'm perfectly happy to go to 43 weeks this time - without caving into pressure!

I planned a HB, got to 12 days over and was then 'told' I 'had' to go in for daily placenta monitoring. We had agreed to allow me to 18 days over, but at 16 days I was so uncomfortable, and had been hounded so much, I let them break my waters.
In and out in 12 hours, so not as bad as I thought it might be, and they were very hands off at my request x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->