protein shakes advice

F

foquita

Hi :)

I don't eat meat or dairy (I'm not a vegan, I eat fish :haha:) and before I started uni in september I was really healthy, ate a proper balanced diet all prepared by myself with plenty of beans, lentils, etc for protein. but now I'm on the go a lot during the day and I work at night so I'm not eating so well anymore and I doubt I'm getting enough protein.

anyway, my question is...if I drink one (soya) protein shake a day, will I put on weight? I want to be healthy and get enough protein but I really don't want to put any weight on! I'm worried because I think of protein shakes as something people who are trying to bulk up drink?

any advice would be greatly appreciated as I don't have a clue :flower:

You honestly would be better off making a bunch of lentil patties or something to munch on when you are on the go rather than a protein shake - as soya protein shakes especially are nothing but processes artificial protein and soy. No nutrients, or goodness or anything. If you do some research on processed soya products also i am afraid you will be disappointed with the research as they are actually indeed very bad for you. Soy milk for starters stops you from absorbing other nutrients and actually messes with your thyroid. So if that were to happen to you, as it is actually sadly very common then yes you will gain weight. This is why they more so recommend almond milk.

You are far better off getting your protein from natural non processed sources like lentils, beans etc and fish. They are a healthy natural protein with nutrients which is what you need in order to be healthy. Protein shakes are a gimmick quick fix without being a fix, if ya know what i mean.

thanks so much for the reply! :)

i know how bad soya is through finding out about its effects on fertility, and i'm actually intolerant to it as well so we don't drink soya milk or eat many soya products for that reason (for some reason the soya shakes haven't hurt my stomach or anything, they've been ok! i have the powder and make the shakes with unsweetened almond milk)

i'm aware i've come across like a total idiot here, because i didn't think about it being soya protein and soya being bad, i was just thinking about the PROTEIN part and thinking oooh this may be a good and quick way for me to get more protein :dohh: so your reply has been even more helpful for me because you've pointed out to me what i stupidly didn't think of :haha:

i didn't realise they had no nutrients either, thanks so much for your advice :) i'll give them a miss in that case and just make my new years resolution to have more beans and stuff. to be fair we eat a lot of chickpeas and beans and stuff so maybe my protein is ok!

i am always really quick to jump on gimmicks so it looks like this was just another case of that :rofl:

Oh babe you're not an idiot!!!! I only know this because i used to be a gym junkie so i used to be into all that stuff - the shakes AND the bars LOL!

I don't think there is a single human on this earth that doesn't prefer a quick fix solution. Hell even though I am a complete health freak now, I STILL tried out some hunger suppressant pills recently and now i think about it I feel so ashamed of myself!! Why am i doing this to myself?? Because i got side tracked by the gimmick quick fix side of it hahaha!

From what it sounds like you have a great diet .. you probably are getting plenty of protein. Were you considering this because you are feeling a bit extra peckish/hungry? or because you are worried about your protein levels? if you're feeling all in all well and energetic etc, then i think its safe to say you are getting plenty of protein. Your body will tell you if you need a little extra something... and when that happens a small hand full of nuts is very filling and packed with nutrition. A much healthier alternative than a shake. If you're worried about weight gain then opt for unsalted nuts.

I just read over my first reply and I sounded a bit dry, sorry love i was so tired when i replied. You are not an idiot at all. :hugs:

Oh babe you're not an idiot!!!! I only know this because i used to be a gym junkie so i used to be into all that stuff - the shakes AND the bars LOL!

I don't think there is a single human on this earth that doesn't prefer a quick fix solution. Hell even though I am a complete health freak now, I STILL tried out some hunger suppressant pills recently and now i think about it I feel so ashamed of myself!! Why am i doing this to myself?? Because i got side tracked by the gimmick quick fix side of it hahaha!

From what it sounds like you have a great diet .. you probably are getting plenty of protein. Were you considering this because you are feeling a bit extra peckish/hungry? or because you are worried about your protein levels? if you're feeling all in all well and energetic etc, then i think its safe to say you are getting plenty of protein. Your body will tell you if you need a little extra something... and when that happens a small hand full of nuts is very filling and packed with nutrition. A much healthier alternative than a shake. If you're worried about weight gain then opt for unsalted nuts.

hahaha yeah i am so into gimmicks, in every aspect of life and not just diet :haha:

i started a stupid detox thing (complete and utter gimmick, i am such a mug :lol:) and got the protein powder for that, but i'm not doing the detox now but loved the taste of the shakes so wanted to know if there was much benefit in keeping on having them :) but there's not, and i'm glad now because i had a shake two days ago and it honestly made me want to boak :sick: :rofl: i just went off them all of a sudden!

I just read over my first reply and I sounded a bit dry, sorry love i was so tired when i replied. You are not an idiot at all. :hugs:

i didn't think you sounded dry at all, your advice has been great and i really appreciate it! :) it was more that your post made me realise i hadn't even thought any of my protein plan through :rofl: and that made your advice even more valuable lol :)

Haha cool cool!

Oh and i have done those detox programs too, more than once....:blush: I actually really enjoy them, but they're probably no good for us. lol

I thought it would make me feel motivated because I achieved something, but I was f**king starving and couldn't bear it any more :rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTom
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->