pumping and nervous

ButterCup17

Reaction score
I am going away for the weekend so will be pumping while away from ds. The first time I pumped today I got literally drops out of each breast, not even a half an ounce combined! Is that all he is getting when he nurses?? Why was it such a small amount? :(

You probably don't respond well to the pump, it might be the pump you have or it might be all pumps. Have you given hand expressing a go? Xx

I've pumped a lot before, it's just been a while, but never had that problem before

Well that's a mystery had you recently nursed your ds before you pumped? Xx

Nursed him at 8am, pumped at noon and just pumped again at 4. The two pumps combined came to one ounce :(

Well that's bizarre, what times do you usually nurse him?

xx

Your LO is much more efficient at getting milk from you then a pump can. Just because you only get a little when you pump doesn't mean that is all your LO is getting.
You are nursing so your LO is probably taking all she needs and so there is not a lot left to pump out.

What kind of pump are you using? I have a Medela Swing and found I was getting less and less each time I pumped, it turned out one of the parts needed replacing.

X

I have the medela pump in style
I usually nurse him at 8, 11, 3 and 7. Sometime Another time in there also. But I'm away from him for three days so will only be pumping, he has frozen milk while km away but that is the end of my stash so I was hoping to make more this weekend

When I pumped again to.ight I got maybe a tablespoon combined :( I'm so scared now that when I get back home my supply is going to be totally gone! :( :( what do I do??

How are your boobs feeling? Full and uncomfortable? 'Cause it's only if they're feeling like that that your supply will start to drop.. although I can't see how they wouldn't if you're getting so little when you normally exclusively breastfeed.. are you massaging your breasts before you pump? And are you well hydrated and eating well? Also try having a shower beforehand, or do what I do if I've not got enough time to do that and just hold a hot water bottle against your chest for 5-10 minutes! It might even be that you're stressed. I once was really stressed for a few days and was getting hardly any milk when I pumped then when I started to feel better I got much more. You might just not have the knack of triggering your letdown. I know it sounds daft but try picturing your baby guzzling away! Maybe try looking at a picture while you do it. I try to imagine the noise you hear when you're pumping and you hear the drops of milk in the bottle! And try not to sit there obsessing over how much you're getting. A lot of it is psychological and if you're sat there stressing about it and watching the bottle you won't trigger your letdown reflex.

Even if your supply does take a bit of a hit this weekend I'm sure you'll be able to work it back up again when you get home.. you'll probably just have to nurse more often for a while.

I think you'll get more when you are away and haven't fed him, I don't think a weekend away 10 months in would affect your supply too much even if you can't pump much.
Xx

Well I pumped this morning and got much more, still not what I'm used to pumping but more than what was happening yesterday. I was researching last night and saw somewhere that ur boobs have to be trained to pump. It has been several months since I've done it so maybe that's it? Ugh what a scare that was! That u.all so much for ur support!!

I think I figured out the problem! Duh...! this morning I plugged my pump in (when I got more milk), yesterday I ran it on batteries....bc I just pumped again, on batteries, while we r out and I got barely anything again...mystery solved!

Oooo duff batteries isn't going to help, hope you have cracked it!
Xx

This is my second one and I went back to work at 3 mos, and I have to pump during the day at work for his feeding the following day.
I've found if I am stressed I just can't seem to pump much, so as silly as it sounds you need to try to take a couple of deep breaths and relax. The more worked up you get before you pump the worse it will be. You can try taking a hot shower before you pump to loosen things up. Then when you're pumping, try having a lot of pictures of LO visible and really focus on the photos/zone out and mentally just think about holding your LO and nursing. I also find when it starts to come out if I gently massage my breast ( from the back of the breast towards the nipple, don't massage the other direction ) it can help with a let down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->