Pumping and storing breast milk questions -

Saphira

Reaction score
I'm interested in advice on how soon after Baby's born I could start pumping my breast milk and bottle feeding. I've read it's best to establish a routine with the baby first, which can take 6-8 weeks depending.. I guess my main concern is whether or not the switch will be an easy one, or if it's even worth it that soon. Do babies usually take a bottle willingly after being only breastfed for the first 1-2 months? Or should I expect some extra difficulties? I only want my baby to be fed breast milk but I'm concerned about when I start going out for longer periods again and don't want the baby to be in a busy environment, rather with the grandparents, for example. In that case I'd need the option of the baby taking the bottle. Should I expect confusion after Baby takes a bottle that s/he'll no longer breastfeed properly? I'm just a little lost on this all (first time mom-to-be) and any experiences shared would be greatly appreciated. I'm going to ask my midwife next week but it'd just be nice to hear from others as well. Another question I have is, does stored breast milk lose any of its nutrients? Or is it just as rich?

Thanks so much!

From what I understand, stored breastmilk is just as good! I don't think you will have a problem with the bottle, but try to avoid introducing a dummy as it could cause nipple confusion. Good luck!

The recommendation to wait 6-8 weeks is due to supply. It takes this time for your supply to regulate. It's supply and demand. Baby will go through growth spurts and cluster feed to increase your supply which will be tailor made for your baby. Don't worry if it seems like baby isn't getting enough, they are.
Nipple confusion can be a problem before 6-8 weeks so it's best to wait until after feeding is established (it's not about routine, baby should be fed on demand, following hunger cues).
You may have troubles with bottle refusal but this can be overcome with various techniques such as trying different bottles/someone aside from you giving a bottle etc and perseverance.
There are always ladies here to help if you need it. As well as lactation consultants on the community :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->