Pumping question

SpringCrane

Reaction score
So, this might seem really silly, but I'm shy and introverted, so thinking things through and planning helps me a lot :)

I'm going to be gone for a full day away from my baby, and I'm wondering how it works pumping on the go. I will be attending a bridal shower for an upcoming wedding I'm a bridesmaid in. I'm supposed to pump as frequently as baby would eat, yes? I suppose I'll have to bring along a cooler... how long does milk last in a cooler?

I'm totally comfortable nursing in public, but asking the hostess for a room to pump in feels like it will be awkward. Or do I just discreetly lock myself away in a bathroom for an extended amount of time?

This is a stupid post, sorry! I just feel so awkward about it all for some reason.

I think given your baby is only a few months old the bride will assume you will need to pump if you are breastfeeding. Otherwise you will be a leaky painful mess!! 😂
I would pump every 3 -4 hours (even if your baby feeds 2 hourly) and you should be fine. Bring a cooler bag with and some dishwashing liquid/ paper towels so you can wash your pump. Milk will last fine but if they have a fridge you could always store it there. It's such a pain but will be worth it otherwise you'll mess with your supply.

Ps good on you for going for the whole day! Enjoy it! My baby was born in March also and is so clingy there is no way I could leave him without him having a melt down. X

Not silly questions at all, pumping on the go can be a bit tricky.
If your baby is less than six months, then you probably want to pump pretty much when they would normally feed, or if they are a bit unpredictable, with about the same intervals between feeds as usual, say every 2-3 hours. The main reason for pumping would be for you to stay comfortable and avoid engorgement, so you can also be guided by how you feel to some degree.

I think it would be a good idea to ask for a room or private space, as awkward as it might be. Even with a very portable manual pump, you'll probably want somewhere to put things as well as somewhere comfortable to sit, so I wouldn't go with the bathroom option. You mentioned being away for an extended period but I would think that 10-15 minutes per pumping session would do it - you aren't going to mess up your supply by not squeezing out every drop of milk if this is just for one day.

As for storing the milk, do you actually need to keep it? Like for your partner to pick up to feed the baby while you are away? If not, I'd be inclined to ditch it rather than worrying about dragging around a cooler of breast milk rather than enjoying the bridal shower. Others might disagree, but now that I have no more room in the freezer to store EBM, I realise that I was probably overly concerned with storing every last drop. I could have cut myself some slack and reduced the hassle early on by just ditching it if it wasn't convenient to get it in the fridge at home.

I have no idea what a bridal shower involves, but could you not just take your baby along if they're very young?

If you definitely don't want to do that, I'd tell the hostess in advance and ask for a separate room (maybe a spare bedroom or somewhere where you can relax and not be disturbed, and most definitely not a bathroom!)

Thank you all for the advice! I really appreciate it.

That's a good tip about possibly dumping the milk. I will have to see where my stash is at that point. Two weeks after, I'll be gone for two days and a night, so I might need every last drop!

Before baby had arrived, I also thought there'd be no way I or he would be ready for a full day away at this point, but thankfully he's a really easygoing little guy. If something comes up where I'd feel better taking him along, it shouldn't be an issue, but I'd like some time to socialize as an adult ;-)

Seems like your questions have been answered, but I just gotta say I would bring along the cooler with a few bottles...it's really not much extra especially if you have to lug the pump anyways.
I personally wouldn't worry about "every last drop", but I'd NEVER dump milk...you just never know when/if you'd need it, and you could do so many things with breastmilk even if it's been out more than 6 hrs you can make lotions and whatnot...it truly is liquid gold if you ask me.

I definitely wouldn't dump it either but maybe that's because I have always struggled to have a good enough supply. I treasure every last drop! That being said if I had plenty then it would be a different story :)

Seems like your questions have been answered, but I just gotta say I would bring along the cooler with a few bottles...it's really not much extra especially if you have to lug the pump anyways.
I personally wouldn't worry about "every last drop", but I'd NEVER dump milk...you just never know when/if you'd need it, and you could do so many things with breastmilk even if it's been out more than 6 hrs you can make lotions and whatnot...it truly is liquid gold if you ask me.

It is really a good advice. When I go out with my baby I use breast pumps and extract milk and store it for him. Don't dump it rather than keep it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->