Pumping session didn't produce enough milk!

Wugz22

Reaction score
I've been pumping for a couple months after LO's morning feed to build up my freezer supply, but today was the first time I pumped later in the day to replace a feeding while little one was at daycare for the first time... And I didn't even pump enough for 1 feeding!! It was at the exact time he usually eats, I'm so confused why I didn't produce more? Especially when I'm able to pump almost double that after he BFs in the morning! If this is how it's going to be, I don't think I'll be very successful at pumping when I go back to work in 3 weeks:(

I always got way more in the morning than I did at any other time of the day. I usually had to be away from her for a good 4-5 hours to get anything substantial in the afternoon/evening.

Yep same with me. I can pump 2 or 3 ounces in the evening if I'm lucky.

I don't know if this really works or not, but my lactation consultant suggested looking at pictures of your baby while you pump or snuggling with their blanket so you can smell them. It's supposed to boost your hormones and help production. No harm in trying, right?

Thanks, why bird! That's a great idea. I so badly want to be able to continue breastfeeding once I go back to work. I will definitely give that a try!

It's common to have more milk in the morning. :/ You may need to express more often at work to be able to keep up, and/or to add pumps on weekends. Stay hydrated, and make sure you are pumping effectively (correct flange size, strong but comfortable suction, long enough to empty, plenty of compressions and massage, and consider hand expressing at the end). You should feel EMPTY when you're done.

Also make sure DCP are not overfeeding. About 1 oz per hour apart from you is enough for most babies, at least to keep them full enough to get through the time apart and make it up later while nursing, if not completely satisfied.

definitely plenty of massage/compression~ and like others suggested, add another pump session in the evening time.

sometimes i didn't pump enough for one feeding, I would do a "pump-rest-pump". Meaning.. pump for ~10 minutes... rest for 5-10minutes, then pump for another 10 minutes :thumbup:

also, I would pump right after the feed in the evening time too. I pump after ever feeding session for the first 8 weeks (I had to go back to work after the 8th week). It definitely help build up milk in the fridge so you feel a little less "pressure" to pump enough for a feeding at each session.

I've also done a few power pump at around 2-3 months time too, just to build up my supply. Power pump is to pump for 10minutes, rest for 10 minutes, pump for 10 minutes... etc. for one hour :thumbup: I was pumping so much that my dh said I was obsessed with pumping :blush:... and also... I felt like I was a cow~ (well.. still am :shy: :haha:)

Thanks ladies! This is all great advice! I'll have to try out a power pump this weekend!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->