pumping what seems like mostly formilk??please any ideas

x-li-x

Me & Hubby + 3 :)
Reaction score
hi all, so ive started pumping mainly to build up a small stash in case of emergency or i need a nights rest etc, my husband is soon to deploy and i just feel it will be a good idea, plus he wants to give me a good nights sleep before he leave.

however atm im getting an ounce per pump, if express one whilst he feeds of the other, but ive noticed when i put it in the fridge a bit when i go back to get ready to freeze (im freezing in 2oz) its seperate the thin to thick, yet it mostly the thin milk, and the smallest layer of fatty milk?? i pump for as long as i can about 15 mins and about 5-10mins of that nothing is coming out , noah never has green nappies etc, so is this an imbalance and no good to store or is it fine??

:flower:

I can't help about the balance of milk as not sure but when about are you pumping? I do same as you feed off one and pump the other. During the day I only get about an ounce but at night I could fill bottles! Maybe changing when you pump might help? Just a thought :D

Can you feel your letdown? Generally speaking, the first ounce or so that comes out is a bit more watery, but then as baby makes your milk let down, the milk becomes fattier. If you're only getting the initial milk then it will be thinner, but its still fine to use. When your milk lets down subsequent times, the milk will be creamier.

Apon looking more closely it looks like its separated into 3 parts, the thin watery then thicker milk, then a top thin layer of really thick milk. So I guess not all watery

Thanks ladies xx

My first was bf and is HUGE. 29 lbs and 33 inches tall at 12 months and when I refrigerate my milk i get hardly any fatty layer on top.

Sounds normal to me! I don't get much either by pumping unless I do it at 2 or 3 in the morning.

I tried pumping in the night and yet still could only get an ounce a time :( I've only been pumping since Friday so not long but will this amount increase but im getting very tired n a bit :-( about only an ounce a time. I only made the effort to pump in night as heard I'd hopefully get more but as I didn't I don't think il keep up pumping in the night as I would prefer to keep up on sleep :)

I tried pumping in the night and yet still could only get an ounce a time :( I've only been pumping since Friday so not long but will this amount increase but im getting very tired n a bit :-( about only an ounce a time. I only made the effort to pump in night as heard I'd hopefully get more but as I didn't I don't think il keep up pumping in the night as I would prefer to keep up on sleep :)

Hey. I heard there's an emotional factor to milk let down.... When I pump I always flip through pics of my little one on my phone - I esp do this after the first letdown to keep it coming. Just an idea. And I hear ya on the sleep!!!! More important for sure!!! Last night I pumped and only got 2 ounces. Ugh

im getting nothing now when i pump :( n boobs are getting sore, ive been using tommee tippee manual pump but just ordered the avent as heard this one is better - fingers crossed. not overly fussed as it will be rare he will have a bottle it was just an incase. and to get a few zzz's before hubby sets off for 8 odd months, i would spend out for an electric but too be honest dont see the point spending so much on something i wont be using like loads if that makes sense.

i get about 0.5 oz out if i hand express sometimes less , n when i first started i was getting about an ounce each side so not sure what is going on :(

Gatorade, oatmeal, oatmeal cookies worked for me. I pumped 5 oz 5:30 am, 4 oz at 1 pm and 3 oz at 10 pm yesterday. I fed my boy all day too.

I also pump for a few minutes, if no letdown switch sides for a couple of minutes then switch back and I get a steadier stream.

Thank you

I do eat a bowl of oatmeal every morning and drink loads of water through out the day. Maybe il try more . I was thinking fenugreek just to help give me that bit extra for pumping but last time we tried that it gave Noah really bad wind :(

The only reason I'm wanting a stash is recently my friends daughter went into hospital and I had her tiger daughter until the army flew back her chap and it made me think how would Noah feed of that same happened for me as its unlikely they will let him stay in with me etc so I just wanted some milk back up just incase (and because my husband said hel do a night feed before he leaves again as I'm so tired - dear of him ey )

Thank you

I do eat a bowl of oatmeal every morning and drink loads of water through out the day. Maybe il try more . I was thinking fenugreek just to help give me that bit extra for pumping but last time we tried that it gave Noah really bad wind :(

The only reason I'm wanting a stash is recently my friends daughter went into hospital and I had her tiger daughter until the army flew back her chap and it made me think how would Noah feed of that same happened for me as its unlikely they will let him stay in with me etc so I just wanted some milk back up just incase (and because my husband said hel do a night feed before he leaves again as I'm so tired - dear of him ey )

I think the more you pump the more you start to produce too

I also try not to think about it...do something else pumping...I think it relaxes me more....I used to only get two ounces a day

Hi,
I've been doing similar. I let baby feed from both breasts until she's had enough, and then I express pump both breasts and then refrigerate or freeze and freeze what is left. I can see that the expressed milk is not too watery. The pumped amoun seems to be around 150 mls even after baby has stopped breastfeeding. So I am building up quite a stock of breastmilk. Baby has not had any problems feeding from the stockpile at times I can't breastfeed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laree1820
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->