Pupils I teach have guessed, work don't know and waiting to hear about interview!

loeylo

1DD, 1 pup, WTT#2
Reaction score
Okay so I am now really stressed!

I'm currently a supply teacher, although I have been covering this school since the start of December and the job has just gone out to advert to be made permanent. I had an interview which I feel went well, although there are 5 other candidates. Unfortunately the local authority aren't letting people know if they were successful until May by which point I will be at least 17 and a half weeks (based on the start of May, it could be the end of May!) so I am having to keep quiet until then!

I have been having some sickness which tends to be brought on during my morning commute, so I have been sick a few times in class. I'm also changing shape a bit already but mostly it is disguised by clothes. Anyway, today another teacher asked me if I was pregnant because the pupils are apparently all asking!

I really don't know what to do - I'm on holiday for two weeks as of tomorrow so I have a few weeks to decide but never less I am really worried that the school will work out and not give me the job. I also haven't told my own family yet (we are doing so tonight) - only my partners family know and they have only known for a few days as my own family are on holiday abroad just now. I'm so upset/stressed.

Oh no! What did you tell the other teacher? I hope everything works out for the best!

I didn't really answer her! I didn't know what to say! My partner said to tell her, we are doing a study thing together next week during the holidays so I might just tell her. It will be nice to have someone Inthe school knowing!

If it makes you feel better, i told my daycare that i work at pretty quickly. My boss and manager has no problem at all with it. I could see if its a job that doesnt often get women who are pregnant, but often bosses of teaching jobs completely understand and dont hold you against it. I also find telling work causes you to relax and not feel stressed at work about it. I also have people i can freely talk to about it since this is my first and super excited about it.

I told my head teacher really early with my first. I only started in my new school in September, I've just been promoted and have just informed my new head teacher that I am pregnant. It relieves so much stress to let them know. I've not told anyone else at work though. It's odd that they are making you wait so long to find out. I'm not sure what to recommend but I felt such a weight off my shoulders when I let my head teacher know. He agreed it would stay between us and he would not tell anyone else. Good luck with the job and the baby x

That's a really tough situation! Is it secondary or primary school?(I.e. is it one class or are the children constantly moving between teachers and classes) I would definitely tell your friend next week and ask her to keep it under wraps. Maybe she could act as a mole for you to see who else knows, and try to divert conversations as they come up. Then depending who knows you can make a decision whether to formally announce. I'm thinking if it's likely everyone knows you'll look more honest announcing, if hardly anyone knows I'd keep it under wraps to stop any potential (illegal) discrimination xxx

Hi.
It is a tough decision, but if the students are guessing, it's likely the staff are too. Are you in uk? There are rules covering maternity leave/pay, you have to be in your job for a certain amount of time (sorry not sure how long) to get paid maternity leave. If you've not been in the job long enough you are only entitled to SMP and they may not have to keep the position open for you to return to. So even if they did offer you the job, you might not be entitled to paid leave or have a job to come back to. If you're in a union I'd check it out with them.
Good luck. Xx

I told my principal and staff union rep pretty early on.

Is it a public or private school? If you are in a union that goes by seniority I don't think it could affect getting the job.

Have you got on well with SMT since you started at the school? Are they approachable? If the kids know and are spreading rumours, then they'll have heard those and might be wondering why you haven't told them? I'd speak to the head. If you've been getting on well there since you started then they shouldn't hold it against you. If you don't tell them now, then get the job and have to tell them afterwards, it could make things really awkward for your relationship with them? What age range do you teach? Perceptive kids. I was walking around with a big old bump towards the end of my pregnancy with my daughter and kids I don't teach were coming up to me and suspiciously asking me if I were pregnant (even kids up in year 6 - 11 year olds). I would always look mock-offended and tell them I'd just been eating a lot of cake. Crazy thing is many of them believed me :haha: Good luck! I hope things work out for you!

It is secondary school, so 11-18. I think the "rumour" started with my s4 class (15-16 year olds) as I was spewing in the sink when one of them walked into class for help before school. Then in class I was talking to them about exam technique/stress management and mentioned that I have a lot of stresses just now as well so know how they feel. Meaning job interview, but they obviously put 2 and 2 together.
I don't think other staff are likely to have noticed as I don't really spend as much time with them as I do with pupils.

I think I am going to tell one teacher tomorrow at the study break, I feel closer to her and more comfortable than other staff!

I am not going to tell the smt yet just incase. I will have had my nt scan by the time the holidays are finished so would rather wait until them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->