Purple splotchy baby

mommyof3co

Mommy of 4 amazing boys!
Reaction score
I have posted about Preston before but for those who don't know, he was born at 37+3 so technically full term but he was very sick, his lungs were not ready to breathe and he had a very rough start at life. He was on a vent for awhile and required nitric oxide to start improving, once he got better it was pretty quick though.

He is now 7wks old and I've been noticing more and more he is looking splotchy. You can see it here in this pic
https://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/270748_10150239553636267_515016266_7449621_911785_n.jpg

At first I thought it was just that he was cold but it's getting worse it seems. It does go away sometimes but most of the time he looks like that all over his body. It does seem to go away most times we are in the car so I thought it was because it's been SO hot here (20 days at 100F or higher) but then I had him out in our 104 degree heat and he still looked like that and there is just no way he was cold in that, especially with me holding him so he had my body heat too. So now I'm worried that maybe his oxygen levels aren't right? He isn't blue around the mouth, hands or feet so I don't know if it could present just like this?

Earlier tonight it was really bad, I was changing him and he got mad and was screaming and he was really splotchy head to toe, I went to put him in the bath which was really warm water and he got pissed, don't think he's feeling well today, but instead of getting better being in the warm water he got worse and all those splotches were purple. He stayed splotchy after he calmed down for awhile though not as purple. It's now gone away and his skin looks really good but he's been in his babyhawk carrier for over an hour now against my chest...so could be the body heat? But he also is completely calm now and sleeping plus against my chest so might be breathing better?

Hi, I do remember that Jamie used to do this a lot and it could come up very quickly. I can't remember why it was, but it wasn't anything to be concerned about.

are you referring to the purple vein like marks over his arms in this pic? My LO is like that, he does it when hes stressed out or naked (the two pretty much go together lol). It can be sign that they are feeling unwell but if hes been like that since birth i wouldnt worry as some babies are just paler than others. However if are unduly concerned then just pop him to your gp hun, get them to give him the once over. x hope your are both good x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->