question about co-sleeping and new baby/toddler..

spacecadet

1st time mum
Reaction score
hello :)
i am pregnant again (10 weeks) and am thinking about when LO arrives..
at the moment my toddler (13 mths) does sleep mainly in her cot, although we have a double sofa bed in her room and often (for the past week!) i will sleep with her when shes teething or ill, she goes down well in her cot and on a bad night will sleep 8.30pm till 1-3, then not settle again so i get in her with her so i can get some sleep! she does sleep very well self settles nicely and will sleep till 8am often unless she is not feeling well, so i dont mind sleeping with her as i feel she needs me..
thing is when new baby arrives july/aug i will BF and co-sleep with this one in the next room (they are adjoining) and am worrying about her still being unsettled some nights? she still only has 3 teeth so plenty to come!
are there any cosleeping mothers of 2 LO's who can reassure me its not going to be too difficult with 2 in the bed (esp a newborn and toddler), i worry about leaving NB baby crying while i go sort violet out, about the practicalities of feeding NB in bed while violet is jumping around all over me!!
urrggh i thionk im just being a worry wort!
but any advice/thoughts from mothers who may have had similar experiances are very welcome!!
thank you and sorry this is rambly xx

Plenty can change in 30 weeks so i would not worry about it to much .

We have been here twice now , when my second was born her sister was 17months and still co-slept full time plus breastfed every 3 hours or so during the night.
At first husband and i slept in different rooms , he slept with the eldest and me with the baby. When the eldest woke and wanted a feed he would bring her to me and i would feed her then he would go back to bed with her. My second never really liked sleeping with me though and by 4 months it was impossible (she would scream) and she went into her own cot.
With my third we done the same although neither were breastfeeding so dd1 was in our bed and dd2 in her own cot. Hubby slept with dd1 and i slept in another room with the baby , he stopped co-sleeping at 3 months also so have never really dealt with newborn and older one in bed together.

Would daddy be able to deal with the eldest when you had the baby?

We have four in a bed most nights.
15 month age gap between my 2
When my OH is working, or drunk he will sleep on the sofa and on my own I put my eldest up one side of the bed with a bed guard so she doesn't fall out, then Lylah in the middle then me, I always make sure I am awake to feed her then pop her back in the middle
it works for us and we have had no squashed babies. Indie seems to sense her sister is there

Plenty can change in 30 weeks so i would not worry about it to much .

We have been here twice now , when my second was born her sister was 17months and still co-slept full time plus breastfed every 3 hours or so during the night.
At first husband and i slept in different rooms , he slept with the eldest and me with the baby. When the eldest woke and wanted a feed he would bring her to me and i would feed her then he would go back to bed with her. My second never really liked sleeping with me though and by 4 months it was impossible (she would scream) and she went into her own cot.
With my third we done the same although neither were breastfeeding so dd1 was in our bed and dd2 in her own cot. Hubby slept with dd1 and i slept in another room with the baby , he stopped co-sleeping at 3 months also so have never really dealt with newborn and older one in bed together.

Would daddy be able to deal with the eldest when you had the baby?[/QUOTE]

thank you for replying!

no daddy is not gunna be able to help with violet as he a) cannot hear a bomb going off once he is asleep! b) has absolutely no patience/tolerance of anything when hes just been woken up! like a bear with a sore head.. even i steer clear.. and c) works loooong hours driving around the country so NEEDS his sleep badly..

he is brill at the weekends and gets up early to deal with her one day so i can catch up on zzzz's if i need to :)

so im gunna have to have them in the same bed with me..
(your OH sounds like a star!)

We have four in a bed most nights.
15 month age gap between my 2
When my OH is working, or drunk he will sleep on the sofa and on my own I put my eldest up one side of the bed with a bed guard so she doesn't fall out, then Lylah in the middle then me, I always make sure I am awake to feed her then pop her back in the middle
it works for us and we have had no squashed babies. Indie seems to sense her sister is there

i love the name Indie! i wonder if violet will be so gentle! i was thinking of sleeping with myself in the middle, the bed pushed against the wall with a bed guard on the other side?

also im hoping violet will be walking and i could get her a toddler bed and she could just come in if she needs to (although this could become a habit that i may have to break in the future!)

i am excited and picture our lovely cosy nights together all 3 of us - with daddy snoring very loudly in the next room!

Kaya usually joins us during the night (sleeps in a bed) and once I was about 7 months pregnant I made sure that she only slept in between me and OH and that she was used to me lying with my back to her. Now she's in the middle and Blythe is between me and the bedguard. The main hard and fast rule is not to let a toddler and a baby sleep next to each other

I was actually wondering this myself. I'm not pregnant yet and don't plan on trying for a while, but I also am not sure when I plan on stopping the co-sleeping so it could be an issue in the future. The first thing that comes to my mind is to invest in a bigger bed. :haha:

i love the name Indie! i wonder if violet will be so gentle! i was thinking of sleeping with myself in the middle, the bed pushed against the wall with a bed guard on the other side?

also im hoping violet will be walking and i could get her a toddler bed and she could just come in if she needs to (although this could become a habit that i may have to break in the future!)

i am excited and picture our lovely cosy nights together all 3 of us - with daddy snoring very loudly in the next room!

Thankyou, I love it too lol.
I wouldn't recommend pushing the bed up against the wall, but thats just me.. I worry that one of them will get stuck (because the bed is blatently going to get up and walk in the night) but you could always put a bed guard either side and yourself in the middle?

Indie also has a toddler bed, in her own room. She goes into it at first and generally comes in with us about 5-6 am so we don't have all night of co-sleeping now.

Luckily I'm not fussed, anything to get some sleep and I love it when we are all in bed together, nice and warm and cosy lol xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->