• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Question About Electing For C-Section

Miss_Quirky

Mummy of 1
Reaction score
So my mum had a really terrible labor, after being almost 3 weeks overdue and being induced. 36 hours later she had a C-section and they think that it was because she was induced, she couldn't go into natural labor. The same thing happened to my aunt, she went overdue by only a week and they induced her and she also had to have a c-section. My other aunt on my father's side wasn't induced but once her water broke she also physically couldn't dialate enough.

I brought this up to my OB and said that I was really really worried about going overdue and having a long, painful labor like my mum and aunt's did, and asked if I could elect to have a C-section if I got to 39 weeks and hadn't already gone into labor....This was the odd part, she told me no. o_O
She said no, she hates elective C-sections because it's almost always by women who wanna "avoid the pain" of labor...I'm not quite sure how to take this :dohh:

She agreed that if I go a week overdue to skip inducing me and will do a c-section but how she wanted to avoid it at all costs was strange to me. Should I just leave it alone, or try to approach it in a different way? What should I say? :shrug:

I think thats reasonable to be honest she has agreed not to induce you and will do a c sec at 41 weeks so i dont see the problem?

Tbh in the UK they wouldnt even let you do that without trying labour first!

Also a lot of people dont go into labour until between 41 and 42 weeks but still go naturally so i dont know why you would want to be induced at 39 weeks just seems a little unnecessary if your mainly worried about being induced.

I'm sure the biggest issue with the request was to have the c section at 39 weeks. They do say that there is no correlation between family members and labour stories. It's not a hereditary thing, so you may have an easy labour, while your family had harder ones.

I think the best way to talk about this with your dr is to explain that you want to avoid complications and risks due to labour. Your nervous about a long labour and want to be assured that you will be taken care of in the best way possible. You will certainly get a section if it's called for, don't question that. I had a 40 hour labour that ended in a c section, because they said every 2-3 hours that next time they checked they were sure I'd be fully dilated. I only got to 6 cm after that time and they were worried that I wouldn't physically be able to push even if I did get to 10cm.

I'm not sure how it is there, but here it seems they are 50-50 doing a c section or not. They don't want to because it's harder on the body, on the baby and requires so much more care after than if you had a natural birth. Please don't think that having a c section will stop you from having a difficult labour. My recovery was very hard and I would have much rather gone through vaginal,.....but everyone has their own story.

I think your doctors response was very reasonable. She's offered you a c-section at 41-weeks instead of induction based on your worries. Even with your family history I'd still want to try a natural labour. My mum had 6 natural and uncomplicated labours but my experience was totally different. After induction my body just didn't respond. My sister on the other hand responded really well to being induced & had a short and natural labour. Having gone through a c-section, personally I'd want to avoid it at all costs. I'm not against them per se but it's a major operation & the recovery is awful & debilitating with a newborn & they should be reserved for emergency and pre agreed medical situations only.

My mother was in labour for 3 days with me, then had to have an emergency c section. I was induced, was in labour almost 3 days but had my baby vaginally. My moms second pregnancy was a tubal, mine wasn't.... no direct correlation.

Thankyou for the opinions :)

Yeah I understand why she'd want to wait til after 40 weeks, and that's okay, it was just the amount of pushing I had to do to get her to possibly do it at 41 weeks seemed odd to me. Of course I'm hoping I go into labor and all is well, but it's nerve-wracking that my mum almost died and lost me in labor, I wanted to have all my bases covered..if that makes sense?

I'll probably just leave it with my OB though until I get to that point.

I think her answer was rude, she is saying that all women who have them want to avoid labour pain? what if it has nothing to do with that??
if there is a physical or psychological reason or needing one then she should not discriminate but the majority of women who get pregnant are against C sections anyway so in her defence she is probably not used to women requesting them since so many women choose a vaginal birth

Not sure how old ou are but things have changed enormously since your moms birth experience. We've come a long way don't forget that.

I would definately take a c-section over an induction anyday. However, your families' experience doesn't have anything to do with how your labor will be. My mom had a great easy labor with me while I was induced and suffered for 26 hrs and then ended up in a very stressful emergency c-section. I think your dr was fair, at least she's offering you a c-section if you run late ;) for the record, the c-section was a walk in the park compared to the hell I endured for 26 hrs of labor...I would and will have a c-section again anyday over natural birth but that's just me, based on my experience.

hey there i think you should get a second opinion... some obs are against c section and also alot of midwives i had to fight to get a c section this time round im on my third baby both my other 2 ere vaginal naturel births and to be honest my second was traumatic and left me with severe anxiety about this birth... i will have my c section when im 39 weeks pregnant and im so happy with my decision... if its what you really want ask to see another consultant and explian anll the anxious feelings you are having xxx i hope it all works out for you hun...

I think your doctor's response was reasonable, but maybe worded incorrectly. My mom had two c-sections and had to be put under both times. In the UK, they don't let you opt for a c-section unless there is a valid medical reason. There are more risks associated with c-section as opposed to vaginal birth. As a PP said, we've come a long way since your mother gave birth :flower:

I'm from California too! Whereabouts are you from? :)

I'm sure the procedures can vary slightly between countries. I'm in the USA. I've read that c-section is the preferred method of birth in Brazil. After doing my research, I'd rather take the "easy way out" as they're calling it and get the c-section. For medical reasons I have to strongly consider one anyway.

I don't know if it's because of the procedure itself or if it's just your doctor's personal opinion about it. Quite honestly, it sounds more like a personal opinion and I wonder if you might want to seek out a second opinion just for clarity on WHY.

What are the statistics of infection, pro-longed recovery, etc. for c-sec in the UK? I think it will benefit you to find out as much as you possibly can and make it your decision not your doctor's. Not saying that a profession opinion should be cast aside, but that it should be your own decision based on professional advice not a doctor's personal opinion.

I think your doctor's response was reasonable, but maybe worded incorrectly. My mom had two c-sections and had to be put under both times. In the UK, they don't let you opt for a c-section unless there is a valid medical reason. There are more risks associated with c-section as opposed to vaginal birth. As a PP said, we've come a long way since your mother gave birth :flower:

I'm from California too! Whereabouts are you from? :)

:) Thanks, that is kind of how I am feeling currently. I have been happy with her so far, and I know she means well and is good at her job. Also, when I first got pregnant I was immediately labelled as "high-risk" for a number of reasons but it's all gone really well I might get the label dropped :happydance: which makes me happier to have a C-section at least planned out as a back-up.

:thumbup: I am 60 miles north of SF, and you?

im having a c secton due to anxiety and i live in the uk... so it is possible to have a c section it depends in the doctor

Some doctors are against elective c-sections. My doctor told me to try natural first and then if we didn't get anywhere after 8 or so hours, we would do a c-section. I see your reasoning for wanting a c-section, but just because your mom and aunt had a difficult labor, doesn't necessarily mean you will. You could either get a second opinion and seek other advice, or take her option of having a c-section at 41 weeks if you go over due. xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irenetta
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->