question about giving lo apple?

kaylynn040485

Mummy to two girls
Reaction score
Ok so a couple of wks ago mil, who is a nanny, popped in just when jessica was having her morning snack of fruit. Now she almost had a heart attack when she walked in and jessica was eating apple, i cut it into little segments for her and take the skin of and she eats it fine, mil said that she was way too young for apple and that it creates one of the highest risks of choking. Now at the time i just thought "yeah whatever" as i know jessica is fine eating it and know for sure ive seen mention of lo's having apple on here but since she said it subconciously ive become scared to give her it and just realised today that she hasnt had any apple in about a week (obv she has had other fruits) so i just want to check, do u all give your 10mnth old or younger apple with no probs? im just scared she chokes or something. Thanks in advance Kx

Honor has an apple cut in half with skin on for grip. I stab at it a few times to get juice going. xx

Hannah has them to, the only time she's had problems with it is when she got some of the skin

surely it wont cause choking anymore than any other food?!

i know, i wouldnt have thought so either but just thought maybe it was a bit more solid than say banana iykwim, just wanted to reassure myself that it was ok thanks girls Kx

Emma just choked a few days ago on apple slices. She thankfully got the piece back up on her own, only to do it again about ten minutes later. I'm not talking about gagging, I mean full blown choking with no air escaping. I will now NEVER give her apple unless it's baked or in one of those nuby feeder things. :cry: Just my experience though hun.

as long as it has the skin off - we have had a couple of gagging instances where she gets the skin of the apple (she seems to be like a magnet to the skin) but once its up goes back to eating it fine.

People worry so much about choking..I know it is serious - but lets face it - you don't leave her there to eat it alone!

Izzy eats all sorts of fruit in varying sizes - the biggest is whole dried apricots, I try to make her nibble them but she pushes them right in and sucks them - sometimes she makes a gag noise as its gone a bit far back, but she has never choked!

Sometimes I wish 'well meaning' grandparents etc would keep their nose out, my mum came yesterday and said 'oh now she has teeth she can have lumps'...I said 'she already has lumps, eats sandwiches, toast..anything'...my mum replied ' only becuase it goes soft in her mouth'...Yes that's it mother - you clearly know more about MY baby who I feed everyday day - when you feed her maybe twice a month.

Honestly, I only WISH someone had told me not to give raw apple. Than I wouldn't have the image of my daughter choking permanently engraved into my head. :nope: Grandparents might be annoying but they are only doing it out of love. Things were done differently in their day so we ought to cut them some slack. I was weaned at two months and it was all pureed food. That is just what they did than. I'm sure once our babies grow up, WE will be the annoying ones. :thumbup::haha:

Honestly, I only WISH someone had told me not to give raw apple. Than I wouldn't have the image of my daughter choking permanently engraved into my head. :nope: Grandparents might be annoying but they are only doing it out of love. Things were done differently in their day so we ought to cut them some slack. I was weaned at two months and it was all pureed food. That is just what they did than. I'm sure once our babies grow up, WE will be the annoying ones. :thumbup::haha:

I see your point, but then I would never have given Izzy raw fruit before she was 6 months old. She was quite a bit older in fact before I felt she was able to handle it propetly with her hands and in her mouth.

When she was alot younger I used to give her apple I had cooked slightly to make it a bit softer but I think she was handling raw apple pieces fine by about 8 or 9 mths.

I see your point, but then I would never have given Izzy raw fruit before she was 6 months old. She was quite a bit older in fact before I felt she was able to handle it propetly with her hands and in her mouth.

Yeah I started BLW a week early. :thumbup: Every other fruit I've given her has been fine but apple just didn't work for us raw. Trial and error I say! :shrug::haha:

I dont see the problem giving apple :shrug:
Its very rare that LO will choke and if you have been giving apple before then stick to what your doing. Its obv doing your LO no harm :)

We give connah apple but we usually bake it for him x

I have given Kaitlynn apple quite a few times even though it does worry me about choking. She has 6 teeth but it will be easier for her when she has a few more.

My DD is 2 and she still has been known to choke on apple sometimes :shrug: ... I know that as a baby I choked on apple too....just one of them things I guess!!

I was stupid enough to give Alex some apple. Didnt expect her to try and bite it tho, this causing her to choke and throw up the contents of her belly :( She was smiling about it, but thats the last time i'll be doing that!

I was stupid enough to give Alex some apple. Didnt expect her to try and bite it tho, this causing her to choke and throw up the contents of her belly :( She was smiling about it, but thats the last time i'll be doing that!

oh god hun, glad she was ok! c thats what worries me, jessica loves taking big chunks of of rusks etc and does it with banana too so worried she does it with apple, esp now! Kx

I have been giving my little boy chopped up apple since he was about 10 months. He likes it, but it does take him a while to chew it. I find pears to be his absolute favourite as they are so soft. The one I heard was a no, no was grapes because they can swell up if they choke....

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->