Question about leaving breastfed baby

xQuinnx

Reaction score
I know this isn't that relevant right now but my friend and I have a weekend away booked end of August (3 nights) and I just suddenly thought what will I do about feeding baby as she's breastfed?! My first was bottle so never had to think about it.

By the time the weekend away comes around baby will be 9 months that so who knows what will be happening then in terms of feeding but I don't want to put a stop date on breastfeeding I'd like to keep going while me and baby are happy.

Anyone gone away from baby for a few days, if so how did you manage it? Is pumping while I'm away an option? I can't remember how much a 9 month old eats in terms of milk lol.

I'll also have been back at work for 2-3 weeks before this holiday so 3 days a week for sometimes up to 12 hours I'll be away from baby anyway...But even then it would be nice to feed her when I can and express also.

Thanks for any advice :)

I would pump however much you'll think she'll need while you're away (you'll have a better idea of how much that is when you're closer to the date obviously), and then pump while you're away. At that stage it probably won't be too damaging if you're not pumping at every would-be feed but you'll definitely want to be doing some. Perhaps just whenever you're starting to feel engorged/uncomfortable.

I was away for 3 nights when my DS was 9 months I pumped while I was away but dumped it as couldn't store it but it kept up my supply. I pumped for weeks beforehand just once a day and I was well covered I had some left over. Remember milk lasts up to 6 months in the freezer so you can start preparing months in advance so your not panicking coming up to it.

I would start pumping a couple weeks before you start back at work and freeze the milk. I wanted a freezer stash for when my baby went to daycare at 12 weeks and I started back up work... so I started a bit earlier and pumped once in the morning after baby ate.... I froze the milk. That will probably get you some of the milk for your trip... and pump while you are away on your trip. Now while I'm away from baby at work from 6am to 5pm... I pump 4x and feed her probably an hour after I pick her up. She's only 4 months so she eats every 3 hours or so now (not on solids yet either). But if you pump every 3 hours or so, you probably will keep up your supply!

Thanks everyone, hadn't thought about freezing a supply! And great idea to start in advance, thank you :)

It all depends how well your LO takes to food. At that age the energy they can get from food really starts to pick up so she may not need that many milk feeds. She may also refuse the bottle because you aren't there, or she may want more than usual for the comfort. What is important to remember for your sanity is that she won't starve without you as she has food and there is always the option of formula or even cows milk (won't hurt for an odd drink here and there while you are away).

I agree you need to pump to avoid blocked ducts and keep your supply up but I'd also say not necessarily exactly as often as you feeding times but definately when you start to feel uncomfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->