question about the bloodtests

Louise

Proud mum to baby Nick
Reaction score
Ok, so as I mentioned previously, I had my blood tests done on friday- now I wasnt worried about the results until my brother mentioned that they will do a full screening of the blood.
Now when I was having them done at the hospital, the midwife said they look for what's listed on my notes which is STD's, immunity to rubella etc: downs syndrome and all that jolly stuff- I dont like the thought of having a full screening test, god knows what they'll find.
Tell me, do they actually do that? or do they look for specific things?
Rubella, HIV, Hepetitus B (cant spell), Downs, spina biffida- and I cant remember the rest!

They only tend to look for the things you want them to look for, if i remember rightly
so if you didn't want a downs test they wouldn't look but i think that is with amnio anyway
they'll check your Iron levels and stuff, general wellbeing

They only tend to look for the things you want them to look for, if i remember rightly
so if you didn't want a downs test they wouldn't look but i think that is with amnio anyway
they'll check your Iron levels and stuff, general wellbeing
Ah right- well I know this sounds ridiculous but Im terrified of cancer and Im scared to death of getting it, therefore, I have never had a blood test in my life up until now. Whenever my dr suggested I have one I refused because of that reason. Midwife claims even if I had it, they wouldnt find it in these tests because that's not what they're looking for, but if they're checking your general wellbeing then they can find absolutely anything (thats if you've got something to find) :(
How long did you guys wait for your results?
I know some people who had them done on the friday and got a call on the monday, but they're mostly in the US and private treatment tends to pay off in the respect that you get results alot quicker.

tended to get my results at next appointment
they only tend to call you if something is wrong
they wouldn't look for cancer hun, and to be honest i don't think it would show in a regular test anyway:hugs:

Is this your first set of booking in blood tests?
I know Jack is only 18 month but my god i have forgotton loads:blush:

My O.C was only detected because they were looking for it, its not looked for usually which i find strange

Please don't worry hun, if they find that you are anemic say you might get a call to go get a prescription for Iron tablets

tended to get my results at next appointment
they only tend to call you if something is wrong
they wouldn't look for cancer hun, and to be honest i don't think it would show in a regular test anyway:hugs:

Is this your first set of booking in blood tests?
I know Jack is only 18 month but my god i have forgotton loads:blush:

My O.C was only detected because they were looking for it, its not looked for usually which i find strange

Please don't worry hun, if they find that you are anemic say you might get a call to go get a prescription for Iron tablets
It's my first ever blood test in my whole life- they didnt even know my blood group or anything like that!
I read online that to do most the tests on the medical notes they only need one sample of blood, well how come they took 4 large ones from me?
I wont be waiting until my next appointment, Im ringing the hospital tomorrow morning first thing to see if they know anything. I know for a FACT I dont have any STD's and I *think* im immune to rubella, anemia im 80% sure of as I was taking pregnacare multi vits for 6 months and still continue to take them, as for everything else..... god knows what they'll find.
I wish I had refused half the tests now, I really do!!!! :( :( :(

They rung me because i had to go back but generally they leave it till your next appointment unless your Iron level is low and you need to take a suppliment tablet which is comon in pregnant women!

xxx

Really sweetie there will be nothing to worry about
Midwives do tend to take a lot, i think they are vampires really:)

They just need to do it to give you and baby the best care they can:hugs:

I call em butchers pmsl!
xxx
I call em taking the piss.

Thanks for the reassurance guys. I have a bleak outlook on life and Im always convinced something is wrong with me. Never having a blood test before kinda scares me because I've been on this earth 22 years and never had a test in my life, for anything...... It's a scary thought really.

Thanks again ladies. x

No probs hun, that is what we are here for :)

I'm West yorkshire, Dewsbury way
my Step dad is from near Barnsley Goldthorpe or whatever it is :)

Hi Louise,

I had all my tests done on Wed's. They took about 5 or 6 tubes and the worst of it was she (a student midwife) couldn't find my vein and have a massive bruise on my right arm...my midwife then had a go on the second arm with no pain, no bruise and lots of blood taken.

I'm also worried about the test's....what will they find that maybe I didn't know I had and will the baby be ok etc etc.....I think its pretty normal to worry.
My midwife told me that if anything we're the matter I'd be called within two weeks and if i'd heard noting in two weeks everything would be fine. I was also told if they found anything wrong with little baby boo they'd call otherwise its just a letter to say everything is fine. No news = good news!

Btw....you know how we were saying about how spooky it is we've both had the same things happen...even more spooky is we're the same age!! Scary!?

Hi Louise,

I had all my tests done on Wed's. They took about 5 or 6 tubes and the worst of it was she (a student midwife) couldn't find my vein and have a massive bruise on my right arm...my midwife then had a go on the second arm with no pain, no bruise and lots of blood taken.

I'm also worried about the test's....what will they find that maybe I didn't know I had and will the baby be ok etc etc.....I think its pretty normal to worry.
My midwife told me that if anything we're the matter I'd be called within two weeks and if i'd heard noting in two weeks everything would be fine. I was also told if they found anything wrong with little baby boo they'd call otherwise its just a letter to say everything is fine. No news = good news!

Btw....you know how we were saying about how spooky it is we've both had the same things happen...even more spooky is we're the same age!! Scary!?
Hey Sam :)
You're not seriously going to wait two weeks to find out your results are you? Your results will be ready now so why dont you put your mind at rest and call them this morning, thats exactly what im doing.
I'll probably get a mouthful from the midwife but hey, who cares aslong as I know whats what!
Midwife promised me faithfully that even if I had some unknown disease that I didnt know I had, they wouldnt find it in these tests because they only care to look for the things which are stated on the medical records, well last night I decided to look at my notes and I noticed on the bottom it said 'FBC', I didnt have a clue what this meant so looked it up online to see that it meant full blood count- when taking a full blood count they can find these such as leukemia and hodgkins disease, two things my midwife swore blinde they wouldnt be able to find.
Im extremely worried about these tests because like I said, I havent had any before so I dont know what to expect really.
You & I are pretty simular and it is rather scary that you're my age too.
Are you really going to wait for two weeks to see if they contact you? stuff that- you're braver than me. xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->