Question about those who have had forceps used before

ashley2pink

Mom to 4 girls
Reaction score
I had to have forceps used during the birth of my 2nd daughter, which ended up in a c-section anyway due to my narrow pelvis(my 1st was a month early so no problem w/vaginal delivery). I ended up with nerve damage due to it, which resolved after a few months.
My worry is, could the forceps have caused me to now have an incompetent cervix? I know preobably in most cases no, but I wonder is there a chance? I have heard damage to the cervix can cause incompetent cervix, and maybe the forceps could have damaged my cervix as well. I have been feeling occasional pressure and pain in my vagina/cervix area recently and now I have myself so worried over it.

I just want to hear from anybody who has had a forceps assisted delivery and if they had a subsequent pregnancy and how it went, positive or not, even if they didnt have complications like the nerve damage I had. I will have my Dr check at my next app., but thats a month away, wonder if I should call him now, or if you think I'm just worrying for nothing?

Oooh i'm not sure - I was a student MW for 2 years and saw lots of forceps, and the point of them is that they go around he baby's head after it's got through the cervix...but i'm a bit confused as to why forceps where used in the first place if your pelvis was deemed too narrow - assuming they were high vaginal ones (can't remember the name) that failed... Bless you that sounds really stressful. I'd speak to my consultant, look up research (randomised control trials and the cochranes database are the best type) and maybe request a scan to see if the cervix is shortening already (or pay for the scan if the consultant is a bit sniffy). Good luck!

Just see you are from the US, maybe things are slightly different but same advice really :)

My Dr. was trying to manually turn her since she was posterior, he used his hand, and he could feel the top part pf my pelvis went narrow. He told me this and said I would need a c-section, but he brought up the forceps option and said it probably wouldnt work, but he could try. I was so scared to have a c-section that I told him I did want to try the forceps first, if he would have told me it definitely wouldn't work than I wouldnt have, but since i thought there was hope I let him try. No didnt work, I was being pulled across the operating table by her head she was so stuck, they even had two people hold my legs down while he pulled so I wouldnt slide down the table while he used the forceps. Anyway so I did have nerve damage in my pelvis, had very difficult time peeing for a few months as I couldnt use the muscles to relax my bladder nor could I even feel when my bladder was very full. I had to remember to go to the bathroom. Also I had a slight limp in one leg, because the nerve connection from my pelvis to my legs were damaged (I felt numbish in that area), though thankfully all went back to normal after about 4 months.
But, thats not what worries me, but the possibility of of an IC, since it did damage my pelvis maybe it did damage my cervix as well? I am sure my Dr would have no problem checking me for dilation or cervix length. He is really good with all of my worries. So should I get an ultrasound instead then to check my cervix length?

I had a forceps delivery with my daughter nearly 2 years ago tho no real problems from it! I miscarried my last pregnancy at 11 weeks and I'm now nearly 17 weeks pregnant and so far all is going well! Although I don't know the answer to your question I do hope you find out soon and you have a h&h 9 months x

You should be getting an ultrasound if you havent had one already. It is standard to check the cervix length during the ultrasounds. So if you have had one it has probably already been checked! I wish I knew more about the forceps to share with you. I know it isnt always the case but many women get spotting with an incompetent cervix.

I had forceps after a very long labour with my first baby, my last pregnancy ended at 14 weeks but that's not a sign of anything as I have a history of m/c, but this one seems fine, I'm 23 weeks today, when I had an internal a few weeks ago M/W said my cervix was so closed it didn't look like I'd had a baby... apparently a good thing. If you are worried I would speak to doctor or M/W about it, I've had pressure and pain and at one point thought I was losing fluid but it's all ok, pain and pressure is cos baby is breech currently and placenta is front so pushing baby down apparently.

could the pain youre having be SPD?

I had forceps but had no problems and my 2nd baby went to 38 weeks of pregnancy :flower: x

What is SPD? The pain I feel isn't constant, but every time I get it I worry.
I know most who have had to have a forceps assisted delivery won't have any problems. I read somewhere if there was extensive damage done to the cervix during forceps use, it can cause IC later. I have no idea what damage, if any were caused to my cervix, but I do know I had some damage to my pelvic nerves, so the thought has been there about IC. I am really finding it almost impossible to find any info about this with googling. I guess maybe cause it isn't at all common? I hope so.
I have my anomaly/gender scan on the 26th so I will be asking to have my cervix length checked!
Thanks to all who have replied so far:)

Hi hun i had a forceps delivery with my oldest son 11 yrs ago because he was 15 days overdue, i had been in labour for so long with him that i was too tired to finish it and his head got stuck. i also have a son at 7 and another at 6, i had normal deliveries with them both, no forceps needed and no problems arose, im now pregnant with my 4th child and hoping this labour will be the same as my last 2 xx

I can see exactly where you are coming from with that, it's logical thinking but hopefully nothing to worry about at all. All I can say really is what i have said, wish i could be more help for you! When women have a colposcopy (tissue removed from the cervix after abnormal cells) it's quite an invasive procedure and they still go on to dilate efficiently at the right time so that should reassure you. I think the only way the cervix can potentially be affected and damaged is by the forceps themselves having gripped on to them, but i doubt the doctor would have used them if the cervix was in the way. Yes i would definately have your cervix looked at because if anything when you see it fine then you can disassociate the pain from the cervix itself being the issue. Remember tha pregnancy hormones such as relaxin and progesterone relax all the ligaments and soft tissue and if you have existing damage from your birth then this could easily be irritated again this pregnancy. Hope you feel reassured after your scan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->