Question About U/S

DaisyDreamer

mama to a beautiful boy
Reaction score
Hello ladies, hope you don't mind me popping over from second trimester.

I am a FTM, first pregnancy, and I have only had one ultrasound thus far, and that was my anatomy scan at 18 weeks.
My MW has me see her about every 4-5 weeks, to discuss symptoms, measure, listen to baby's HR.

I was wondering if that is typical of a MW office to only do an anatomy scan ultrasound and have quick appointments? I have not had the GD test (was that supposed to be this month, or next?) nor have they taken any more urine or blood from me since 7 weeks.

Luckily I am not having anything to be concerned about yet, but don't most women get an 8 or 12 week ultrasound?

Perhaps because the equipment is not on site that might have something to do with it? How many more should I expect? I would think they would like to take a look at baby again some time as I get closer to my due date.

Thanks for reading!

Taylor

A lot have dating ultrasounds which are the 8/12 week ones, but some offices don't. The glucose test is usually around 28-32 weeks unless they have reason to do it early. As far as the urine or blood, I'm a little surprised at that. I've had urine screened for protein at every single appointment (even now that I'm twice weekly).

A lot have dating ultrasounds which are the 8/12 week ones, but some offices don't. The glucose test is usually around 28-32 weeks unless they have reason to do it early. As far as the urine or blood, I'm a little surprised at that. I've had urine screened for protein at every single appointment (even now that I'm twice weekly).

Yes, I definitely thought I would at least be giving more samples by now. Do they profile patients who may be at a higher risk for GD? I was near underweight when I got pregnant but my weight has been on track with roughly 1 lb a week since then. The next time I see them I will be just shy of 25 weeks so I suppose they wouldn't do the test then, either.

Do they do more ultrasounds the closer I get to my due date? Best case scenario nothing to worry about. I'm confident they would keep a close eye on baby if they thought either one of us was at risk

They only do the early "dating" scans when you are unsure of your due date. Ive never had one myself. I got one with each of my pregnancies at 20wks and then since I had placenta previa which they saw on my first scan, I had to go back in for a follow up u/s at 32 weeks to make sure it moved away from my cervix which is has each time. hope that helps good luck

Yes, I definitely thought I would at least be giving more samples by now. Do they profile patients who may be at a higher risk for GD? I was near underweight when I got pregnant but my weight has been on track with roughly 1 lb a week since then. The next time I see them I will be just shy of 25 weeks so I suppose they wouldn't do the test then, either.

Do they do more ultrasounds the closer I get to my due date? Best case scenario nothing to worry about. I'm confident they would keep a close eye on baby if they thought either one of us was at risk

They don't usually do extra ultrasounds after 20 weeks unless there is a reason (GD, placenta previa, growth issues). As far as profiling, most offices do. I've heard several people on the higher end of the weigh scale have the test earlier, but I myself started this pregnancy at 203lbs and I didn't have it until 30 weeks (which stinks because it turns out I have it AND I'm insulin dependant). Each pregnancy is different, and each OB or midwife does things differently as well.

As for the dating scans, I had one and I am dead on positive on what my due date should be. Some hospitals have policies in place that require it.

As previous ppl said you typically get 1 anatomy ultrasound. Most insurance won't pay for extra unless there is a problem. I had my GD test at 24 weeks but most appointments are short. I do have my blood pressure and urine checked every appointment though.

As previous ppl said you typically get 1 anatomy ultrasound. Most insurance won't pay for extra unless there is a problem. I had my GD test at 24 weeks but most appointments are short. I do have my blood pressure and urine checked every appointment though.

As PP said too they don't do a dating scan if I'm sure of my due date. Which based on my LMP it is correct and the anatomy scan backed that up. So maybe I should expect to do a urine test next time around?

That particular office has not done a pelvic exam on me, how would they be able to catch something like an incompetent cervix? Like I said I don't necessarily think that I have something wrong with me or baby--lots of kicks regularly (way more than 10 per 10 minutes), the anatomy test looked good from what they could see, and my symptoms have not been severe, just frustrating.

I think part of my worry is anticipation to meet our baby!

I only know what's typical in New Zealand, we have a national health system. You choose your own midwife, you see that same midwife every 4 weeks. They give you referal forms to have your bloods taken in the 1st tri, a form to book your nuchal scan at a radiology clinic, then you have more bloods at that time taken. You will be given a form to book your anotomy scan before 20 weeks. You have bloods again either late 2nd or early 3rd tri to check all your levels again (can't remember when that was), have a glucose test etc. Your apointments go to every 2 weeks and then every week at the end of the 3rd trimester. That was the same for me with both kids. Your midwife then attends the birth of your child :).

I only know what's typical in New Zealand, we have a national health system. You choose your own midwife, you see that same midwife every 4 weeks. They give you referal forms to have your bloods taken in the 1st tri, a form to book your nuchal scan at a radiology clinic, then you have more bloods at that time taken. You will be given a form to book your anotomy scan before 20 weeks. You have bloods again either late 2nd or early 3rd tri to check all your levels again (can't remember when that was), have a glucose test etc. Your apointments go to every 2 weeks and then every week at the end of the 3rd trimester. That was the same for me with both kids. Your midwife then attends the birth of your child :).

That sounds pretty similar to what this office is doing here in the States. No nuchal scan though. Thanks !

Actually now I think about it did they talk to you about genetic testing? If you're under 35 they should have offered you the NT scan around 13 weeks and that would be a blood test and ultrasound. Another option would be the CVS or amino a few weeks later. How far along are you? It maybe different with a MW though.

I just started getting internal exams at 37 weeks to check for dilation and effacement. Unfortunately they're going to assume all is well and not check for an incompetent cervix. It's scary I know!

I went every 4 weeks until 30 weeks then it was every 2 weeks. Once I hit 36 weeks I go every week. I go to a Dr. though so again a MW might be different.

Ask about the urine test or any concerns next time you go.

Actually now I think about it did they talk to you about genetic testing? If you're under 35 they should have offered you the NT scan around 13 weeks and that would be a blood test and ultrasound. Another option would be the CVS or amino a few weeks later. How far along are you? It maybe different with a MW though.

I just started getting internal exams at 37 weeks to check for dilation and effacement. Unfortunately they're going to assume all is well and not check for an incompetent cervix. It's scary I know!

I went every 4 weeks until 30 weeks then it was every 2 weeks. Once I hit 36 weeks I go every week. I go to a Dr. though so again a MW might be different.

Ask about the urine test or any concerns next time you go.

They have talked about genetic testing, NT scan and Cell-Free. I only looked into the cell-free because I figure NT might cause more concern than relief. According to my insurance there needs to be a medical reason to do genetic testing.

BUT I did find out that Translocation Down's Syndrome is genetic and I could have the marker for that on my genes even though I don't have any symptoms. Now at 22 weeks, we figure it's too late to consider options at this point so what's it matter if we find out about genetic abnormalities now or when baby is here?

With baby number 1, I was in Canada. I had a NT scan done at 12/13 weeks and my next US was at 20 weeks.I also had a glucose test done at 27 weeks. I don't think weight or being high/low risk has anything to do with whether they offer you a GD test. I thought it was offered to everyone as with my DS, I was 26 and my weight was 105 (height 5ft 5) so I was underweight and my pregnancy was low risk.

With this baby ( I am in Australia now), I got a dating scan at 10 weeks because I had to do the harmony test and then another scan at 12/13 weeks (NT). I got another scan at 13+5 because of spotting. With my anatomy scan, it took a total of 3 scans because baby was not co-operating. So I am guessing the routine is only 2 ultrasounds and ofcoz at each hospital appointment my urine, BP is tested as well as a doppler is used to hear the baby. I got a referral to do the glucose testing done between 26-28 weeks. My maternity folder states that the glucose testing is offered to all pregnant women.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->