Question about using a family member's name

aspiringmum

Reaction score
DH and I have been discussing names lately and we both love his grandmother's name and would like to use it as a middle name for our daughter (should it be a girl--we find out next week!) However, his grandmother is alive yet in poor health. Do you think it is strange to name a baby after a living loved-one? Or inconsiderate if they are in poor health? Just thinking these things through...

Our tammi's middle name will be Annette, after my living and healthy grandma. It was also my late mother's middle name. And let me tell you, she is THRILLED. She just kept going on and on about none of her grand kids got her name and she's so happy we decided to name her first great granddaughter after her.

I think it's a sweet idea. We're used to honour people's memory, but what about doing it when they're still around? If you really think it could come across as inconsiderate, maybe ask the lady how she'd feel if you named your daughter after her?

i think anyone would be thrilled having someone name their child after them. x

Dylan's middle name is Jack after my late grandfather, but if we have a girl her middle name will be Marie after my (very much alive and very healthy) nan :)

I don't think it matters if they are still here!

I don't think it's strange. My uncle really looked after me when I was abit of a teenage tear away and I promised him randomly once I'd name my son after him lol. So my son has his name as middle name. My sister has our grandmas name as her middle name too and SILs daughter has MILs name as her middle name x

Doesn't sound strange at all.

DD has MIL's middle name. DS has OH's grandad's middle name who died when I was pregnant with DS.

Not at all. Our little boy will have my Dad's name for a middle namr and he is thrilled

I don't find it strange, my family were all named after family members - I share my name with my mum, my brother shares with my dad and my sister shares with my gran (who is still with us!)

I usually find it weird to name a child after a living family member (although not uncommon) UNLESS they are ill

my brother was named after his granda who was dying... finding out he had a grandson and that he was being honored give him a reason to fight, he live a few more years but has passed now

All my children are named after family members, two of which we're living when we named them.

I wouldn't say it's weird. I think it's a nice way of honouring someone. I don't think it matters whether they are still alive or not. In fact, I think it's nicer if it's done whilst the other person is still alive to appreciate it! If you're unsure, as someone else has suggested, maybe ask her how they would feel if you were to do so.

We will most likely be using another family member's name as LO's middle name. However, I think it's more weird if you're using it as LO's first name!

My niece has my name as her middle name, I'm very much alive and was really touched they chose my name.

Dd1 has both her grandmas
names as her middle names, although my mum died shortly after she was born, I didn't know that was going to happen though when I named her.

Thanks for all the advice! I will probably just check with my FIL (it would be named after his mom). Because of her illness, DH's grandmother isn't able to understand our questions but I like the idea of checking with someone first and I think it best if it was her son (DH's dad).

My lo is named after my grandma who is still alive. I chose to name lo after my grandma as i have lots of positive feelings associated with her name and she adores my daughter. It gave my daughters name meaning for me and totally suits my little lady

I don't think its weird at all- it's not like people mean less to you because they are alive! Checking with FIL sounds like a good idea though, just in case. DS has my dads name as one of his middle names and DD's middle names are my mum and MILs names. All were very happy to be honoured.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->