Question: CBFM and OPKs-all negative

l8bloomer

Reaction score
This is my first month using a CBFM and OPK. AF comes like clockwork every month.

I have a 30 day cycle and around day 14, usually experience twinging pains in my ovary/uterus section of my body; which I've always attributed to ovulation.

However, I've just done the Day 19 test and the CBFM and the OPK (First Response kit which I'm using as a back up) both show negative results. :nope:

What's going on? I'm panicking a bit. Am I not ovulating, despite the pains around Day 14? What if I don't ovulate at all? Is that possible even though AF comes every month?

I know I can google and find the info but I'm hesitant to do so because the info I find usually ends up ends up depressing/scaring me..

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

Maybe I am misreading this, but if you think you normally OV ~ CD14, I would expect the tests at CD19 to be negative....

If you ovulate around Day 14 and take the OPK at Day 19, you will most definitely get a negative, as your LH surge (which happens before ovulation) would have decreased by then. You need to start doing the OPK at least 5 days before suspected ovulation.

And no, getting your period every month does not always mean ovulation and a positive OPK does not always mean ovulation either. OPK just detects the LH surge that means your body is getting ready to O. However, there are many factors after that LH surge that will cause the body NOT to O. Stress, dramatic weight gain or loss, over exercising, etc.

The presence of a menstrual cycle does not guarantee ovulation either. Bleeding without ovulating is called anovulatory bleeding because you begin to bleed due to a decline in estrogen. This can often be mistaken for a period and may even seem like a regular period but not as heavy. A normal period is brought on by a decreasing level of progesterone which means you have ovulated.

I would do basal temperature testing. That is the truly the only way to suspect that you are ovulating without actually going to Dr. to find out for sure. Best of luck to you!

If you ovulate around Day 14 and take the OPK at Day 19, you will most definitely get a negative, as your LH surge (which happens before ovulation) would have decreased by then. You need to start doing the OPK at least 5 days before suspected ovulation.

And no, getting your period every month does not always mean ovulation and a positive OPK does not always mean ovulation either. OPK just detects the LH surge that means your body is getting ready to O. However, there are many factors after that LH surge that will cause the body NOT to O. Stress, dramatic weight gain or loss, over exercising, etc.

The presence of a menstrual cycle does not guarantee ovulation either. Bleeding without ovulating is called anovulatory bleeding because you begin to bleed due to a decline in estrogen. This can often be mistaken for a period and may even seem like a regular period but not as heavy. A normal period is brought on by a decreasing level of progesterone which means you have ovulated.

I would do basal temperature testing. That is the truly the only way to suspect that you are ovulating without actually going to Dr. to find out for sure. Best of luck to you!

I should have been more specific...I was panicking a bit when writing my earlier post.

I meant to say that I've been testing daily since Day 6. It's now Day 19 with no peak in sight. I'm thinking that I do ovulate monthly because my periods last about a week with 2 days of heavy flow. But you are correct...there's no way to know for sure until I get lab-tested; which I'm doing.

It's just a little discouraging as I had such high hopes for the CBFM. :nope:

Keep in mind, the CBFM might not give you a peak for the first cycle or two...it has to get to know you, lol.:flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->