question for mommies..

runnergrl

Mom to 2 boys and 1 angel
Reaction score
How many of you have had a natural childbirth at a birthing center? What was your experience like? This is my game plan and I would love some insight from some of you that have actually already been there, done that. Pros and cons, and please, be honest! If it was great or if it was terrible.. I love learning from other's experiences..

thanks!

What's a birthing centre over there?

I gave birth in the hospital but I believe it's quite different to hospital births over there. I never seen any doctors and got my own en suite room to labour and give birth in. I had gas and air from 4-5cm onwards and had a shot of diamorphine at 7cm to help me sleep between contractions. I laboured for 15 hours and pushed for 27mins and had no tears or cuts when she was born. We had immediate skin to skin and my mum cut her cord. She rooted about and nursed a little about an hour after she was born whilst the MW was examining my placenta and checking me for tears then we weighed Amelie.
We then were left alone for ages to get to know our new baby and I left her with my mum to go for a quick shower :D I loved my birth experience and can't wait to do it again :D

As with Blah I had a hospital birth. I went in the birthing pool and was attended by a midwife and a student midwife. They were very 'hands off'. I got out of the water once to get checked over, but apart from that they only encouraged. I tried gas and air, but found it really distracting, so it was pretty much totally drug free. I 'caught' the baby and brought her out of the water for immediate skin to skin. Once I got out and delivered the placenta (physiological 3rd stage) I latched baby on.

It all felt very natural and I felt in control throughout. If I could have as good a labour as that next time, I'd be very happy!

I gave birth at the Mat unit but in the more "fun" birth room kind of home from home had a sofa, big corner bath ect.

I found it much better to be in that room since it ment i could move around and find a position i wanted to be in rather than on a bed surrounded by very clinical items, Feeling more "homely" i feel i was much more relaxed and found it to be very good also with there being sofa and a chair ment there was also lots of room for Oh to relax if we was in there for ages.

I got to the hospital at 9cmDilated and promtly started on the Gas and Air which i continued to use untill after the MW had checked to see if i had torn.

First pain 10am got to hospital at 12noon..2:05pm baby was out and i dont think it would of been that fast had i of been in a more clinical room.

:hugs:

I had Isla at a midwife lead unit which was about 20 minutes away from a hospital, had 8 beds total and was staffed only by midwives and care assistants. They were happy for me to labour at home until I felt I wanted to push, which I did, just sitting in the bath to keep me comfortable (and my hypnobirthing breathing etc). Once I started to get the urge to push OH drove me in and I had Isla within the hour, so they didn't have time to fill the water pool for me!
The whole experience was lovely and I want to do it exactly the same again.

I think the best place/way to have a baby is which ever you feel most comfortable with. :)

xxx

Wow, what wonderful stories! I can only hope and pray that I am so lucky! How are you all with pain normally? I cant lie, I really dont have that high of a pain tollerance, but I want to believe that when it comes to my child, it will be different.

Birthing Centers here where I live are similar to what lesleyann spoke of. They have very limited rooms and are made to feel more like home with large birthing tubs if you want a water birth, sofas, beds, kitchens, etc. If you choose to labor there, you are given the choice to interview a MW and see which one meets your needs and she is with you throughout your pregnancy and delivery. That's how I am made to understand it anyway, (or maybe thats how I envision it, LOL). No but in all seriousness, I have done a lot of research on my options and the birthing center I would ideally labor at is within walking distance of a hospital.. although Im sure they are equipped if any complications arrise..

Oh! I also forgot to mention that I fully intend on using the Hypnobirthing method.. Anything that helps me relax and let me body do what it was meant to do!

pain wise i would say im a bit on a pansy lol cryied when i stubbed my toe

I'm not great with pain either! Before I got in the pool I was struggling to deal with contractions, but they got better as soon as I was in. Latterly, she started turning back to back which was very painful. I must admit I forgot all my breathing techniques and had a bit of a panic around then, but the midwives and DH were fantastic at calming down and reassuring me. I think hypnobirthing might be a good thing for me to try next time!

I'm not bad with pain usually, but the hypnobirthing made the whole labour a breeze pain wise... though it was still tiring when it come to pushing since I wasn't very good at the whole 'breathing baby down' thing!

x

I gave birth in a midwife led unit and it was fantastic..everything was in my control and the MWs stuck to my birth plan and asked me everything..double checked everything. The room was large with huge bean bags and big foam shapes and ii also used a birthing pool which was lovely apart from i didnt dilate at all in there so had to get out. The MWs used aromatherapy oils in the rooms and also taught my OH how to massage me.. we could also take our own music but i forgot lol!

I'd definitely recommend it..!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"