Question from a very confused first time mum!

lauren1991

Reaction score
I had my little boy on the 14th of November and he's being formula fed aptamil first milk.

Question is when sterilising- I have a electric steriliser that keeps things sterilised for 3 hours :/ and he's using tommee tippee closer to nature bottles (he takes a really good feed from them)
Anyway if I was to sterilise in bulk say all his bottles for the day.. Could I put them all back together and sit them on the worktop and just use them throughout the day?

My oh seems to think it will be okay as the lids to the tommee tippees are air tight? Obviously we don't touch the teat we use tongs to squeeze it through so that wouldn't have been touched by fingers.

I make feeds as and when he needs them and having to sterilise then make a feed is really time consuming hence the question.

Thanks for any replys I'm really lost and don't wanna risk anything with him. I do this when out and about, take 2 sterilised bottles in his changing bag along with a carton of the aptamil milk because he's only on 3oz feeds x

Hi hun
They say your are meant to make a bottle up only when you need it, but with Hollie i sterilise all her bottle make 3 up at one time and keep the rest in the steriliser with the lid shut until later when needed
Once the water has cooled down for her bottles i put them in the fridge and then just add the formula when needed. Hollie's 16 weeks today and i've been doing it like that since she was born and she is the picture of health :)
I would just adivse to keep the water or made up bottles in the fridge rather than on the side :) xx

As the lids are air tight you're meant to be able to put the bottles together and they stay ok for 24hrs sealed as long as there's no formula in them obviously. Nothing wrong wih what you're suggesting from what I can see.

should be fine doing that hun. I used those bottles with my 1st but i always made them all up once sterilized and put them in the fridge... will be doing so again this time too. As long as the lids not taken off until you are making the bottle it should be good for a few hours at least xx

If sterilized bottles are left on the side done, with the teat and lids on, the will stay sterile for up to 24hrs x

If sterilized bottles are left on the side done, with the teat and lids on, the will stay sterile for up to 24hrs x

Thats not actualy true.

Bottles remain sterile in electric sterilizers for 24 hours if you leave the sterilizer lid on.
Once you open the sterilizer there sterile for 6 hours depending on what sterilizer your using.

But some people take them out and place the empty bottles in the fridge. thats what i did when my daughter was new born. but i did just leave themm on the side when she was older

hey hun i use the same milk as you for my 9 month old.

i also make them as i go. how are you making it
An easy way is .

fill your flask in the morning.
fill a few bottles of boiled water into sterile bottles as soon as you have sterilized cool it in cold water.
put in the fridge. ( or if your out in a freezer bag that usualy takes 2 bottles)
i take a dispenser seperated into compartments and i fill it with 6 ounce feeds.

then i pour 3 ounce boiled water pour formula in shake. then pour 3 ounce cold boiled water and shake. and serve instantly xx

I tried the 3oz of boiled water and 3 of cooled boiled water but don't have a clue where to store the cool boiled water because I didn't have another sterilised bottle lol.

I screwed that up...

I've been buying the ready made bottles of aptamil and been using them so far, 40 secs in the microwave and its done...

Need to go back to formula though the ready made is too expensive x

I wouldnt put every single bottle she has in the miccrowave. every few ones sure. but you dont wanna be reducing the total amount of nutriance she consumes by microwaving every bottle though i know people do.

Also sterilize the bottles you need. fill it with the boiled water cool it and put it in the fridge..? When your going out put the cold bottle in a freezer bag https://www.tesco.com/direct/koo-di-small-fridge-to-go/211-3643.prd

I have this one but i have the one that stores 2 bottles.

and i have this https://www.safetots.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=2571&osCsid=avtb8kk4ta275f7pc7dbivs5h6

to store the formula in.

( I dont actualy go out with the cold water now as i just make a bottle with the boiling water and give it to her in an hour then she has an hour to drink it xx as its more predictabble of when she will eat x x

Formula has got to be added to water of temps of 70 degrees because the milk isn't sterile so can't cool boiled water then add formula x

Formula has got to be added to water of temps of 70 degrees because the milk isn't sterile so can't cool boiled water then add formula x

I think you got the wrong end of the stick hun .
I said. for example if your making a 3 ounce bottle.

FIRST: pour 1.5ounces of BOILING WATER.
add the right amount of scoops.
Shake.
then add the remainder of cool boiled water.
shake.
then the milk is ready.

I am fully aware you have to add it to boiling water lol that is what i have been saying.:thumbup:

The example of 3 ounce boiled water add formula then 3 ounce cool water. was to make a 6 ounce bottle as thats what my daughter drinks. The first lot of water which is the 1.5ounces of boiling water is what kills the bacteria. when you shake it in. the bacteria is killed then you add the remainder of the amount of water to cool it down so its instantly ready to drink.

I hope you get what i mean now lol

Got u now lol!

Soz! I spoke to my health visitor about that and she said it could make him ill because u might not put the right amount of water in after because of all the foam from the formula... Apparently he can end up dehydrated?

Yesterday I made a bottle while he was sleeping and left it on the worktop to cool and he woke up an hour later, think I might do that today x

Thats not actualy true.

Bottles remain sterile in electric sterilizers for 24 hours if you leave the sterilizer lid on.
Once you open the sterilizer there sterile for 6 hours depending on what sterilizer your using.

But some people take them out and place the empty bottles in the fridge. thats what i did when my daughter was new born. but i did just leave themm on the side when she was older

The HV said to me aslong as all teats and everything are put together correctly, nothing can enter the bottle so are sterile for up to 24hrs.

Got u now lol!

Soz! I spoke to my health visitor about that and she said it could make him ill because u might not put the right amount of water in after because of all the foam from the formula... Apparently he can end up dehydrated?

Yesterday I made a bottle while he was sleeping and left it on the worktop to cool and he woke up an hour later, think I might do that today x

The answer to that is so simple.

You measure it into another bottle ( the water) .. :dohh: your health vistitor is weird .. that she couldnt think of that lol.

i didnt mention that step because i thought it was obvious but here goes again.

measure 3 ounce boiled into one bottle . add formula. measure 3 ounce cooled into another bottle. and then pour that into the bottle with the boiled milk and formula and shake.. again this is to make a 6 ounce bottle.

anyway goodluck with whatever works for you lol . ive repeated the same thing a milllion times lol

I have brought some little pots with lids from poundland they hold 75ml so I make the boiling water and put in the right amount (2oz for me as lo is on 4oz feeds) in these pots and put in fridge to cool, so when I need to make a bottle I put 2oz boiling in a bottle add a little of the cooled water (as boiling water can kill nutrition in formula so iv been told) add the formula shake well and the add rest of cooled! If it's measured out before u mix then u cannot over or under mix and cause dehydration! :) also wen it's all measured out it makes night feeds a whole lot easier wen ur half asleep lol xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->