Question list for Ob/Gyn

LiEfti

Reaction score
To all the mums and future mums to-be,

I am just hoping if anyone can give me any idea on list of question to ask my OB/Gyn on my next appointment. With my first appointment, everything happened too quick and before I could ask any Q, the consultation was over. I am currently entering my 6th week. On my 1st appointment, we did intravaginal US to confirm on my pregnancy, but the Dr did not explain further on the US, and I did not know what to ask as I was still in disbelief when I saw the image on the US. The only information given to me was "yes, you are pregnant", "type prenatal vitamins to be purchased", and "next appointment is to detect heartbeat". I was not informed how long was I, any information about the fetus, nothing like that.
I have prepared myself with some questions (i.e baby's measurement, duration of pregnancy, any birth defect detected??), but I believe I could maybe gain more information but have no idea what else I could ask my Dr, thus if all you experts out there can help me with a list of questions before Oct 22nd, that would be really great and truly appreciated.

Thank you. ^_^

might be worth asking where your placenta is - i was worrying about not feeling kicks with DS until i was eventually told i had an anterior placenta. you'll want to know your due date for certain, they can get that pretty accurately at a "12w" scan (you'll be 11w at yours, they will get a good reading then). they might do nuchal translucency at that scan as well, where they measure fluid at the back of the baby's neck, a lot of fluid is an indication of down's - they can tell you more about what they're looking for and how they measure etc.

drink a load of water an hour before the test (as in, get it finished an hour before, don't start drinking an hour before) as they will need your bladder to be full to get a good image.

good luck!

That is awesome info 1eighty, I would have never thought of any of that. I will pen those down. Thank you so much!

I think the reason there's no info at a very early appt is that there is really nothing to tell! They don't always detect a heartbeat as baby is so tiny, so telling you there is no heartbeat would unnecessarily worry you, it's also difficult to pinpoint due date early on and birth defects won't be detected until next scan around 12 weeks in most cases. Please don't worry it sounds like it was just routine and the next one will have more detail :) you could ask for a list of future appointments so you know what to expect xx

Babycenter has some great lists already made. Just do a quick search.

Not sure if it is important to you but you could ask things like what is their c-section rate, will you be seeing other doctor's in the practice? Will your specific doctor be at the hospital or could it be anybody? When do they do ultrasounds and for what reasons? What tests do they offer and what is each test for (they usually give you a packet). How should you reach them in an emergency?

yeah, future appointments help break down the looooong 40 week pregnancy into chunks and you have appointment milestones to look forward to as you go as well as things like
*hitting 2nd tri,
*halfway point,
*V-day,
*term baby,
*full term!

:)

Thank you Ladies for the input.

Yes I will do that search for list of Question, because I was trying to browse as much thread as possible to see if I bumped into one, and I only manage up to page 30+ and I gave up. :wacko:

https://www.babycenter.com/0_ob-gyn-family-physician-interview-sheet_1428558.bc

Here's the mw one too

https://www.babycenter.com/0_midwife-interview-sheet_1428556.bc

I was given the baby's measurements and heartbeat and was told the normal bpm range. It would be good to ask which doctor will be delivering your baby, do's/don't of pregnancy (if they haven't already gone over that), how much weight you should gain, how many ultrasounds you will get and when, and how often your appointments will be.

Thank you for the links Darlin65. I read through them and some can be a very good potential questions to ask my Ob.

Itrip84, thank you for the input I have included that in my list of question for my next appointment. I was never informed on any of those but that could be because on my 1st USB, it was still pretty early into the pregnancy, all I saw was a yolk sac and gestational sac?
I was only informed that it is fine for me to keep on exercising just nothing excessive and don't put on too much weight. Hahaha. The last one got me quite paranoid because I have a few friends who were pregnant and on healthy BMI before and during pregnancy and diagnosed with gestational diabetes.

So I tried the search function to look for question list for Ob/gyn during usg, but for some reason I am not entitled to use that function, thus if you ladies have any idea for potential Question I am all ear. Thank you!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->