questions about introducing bottle/formula

justkitty

First Time Mum
Reaction score
My lg has been ebf for 4m and now I need to introduce an occasional bottle. We have tommie tippee but am getting a nuk and a mam to try.

So far twice a day I offer her an oz or dh does if he is in. I have been doing it in between feeds where she is maybe peckish but not really hungry. She either screams and the bottle gets no where near her or she lets it in her mouth but doesn't do much with it. Also seems unhappy at the taste of formula.

Anyway...

Should I continue as I am?

Should I try a bottle when she would normally have a feed?
Do I refuse to feed her so she takes tjr bottle? Seems harsh but why would she take it if she knew boobie would be on offer.

What else should I do?

Couldnt you express and try offering bm in a bottle instead?

we have been offering a bottle of expressed once or twice a week since 4 weeks. if you start with expressed to help him get used to the bottle first, i found warming the teat up helped and to sit him more up right, also letting daddy do it. took a couple of attemps but he soon got the hang of it.

were starting formula on odd occasion this week.

Spooky I had just come on to ask a similar question.

I have a pump so I am trying to get dd2 to take ebm in a bottle. I am out of the country for a day in March without dd2 and I am so so worried as, despite taking a bottle twice before Christmas she now refuses.

We tried her when she was happily awake but not starving and she got cross with OH. I tried and she would play with it but not really eat. I tried a tommee tippee closer to nature bottle. I do had a calmer bottle that came with my pump to try next.

Dd1 was ff so I never had to worry about her starving whilst I was away. Last week I left dd2 for 4 hours to go to work and she refused the bottle and was so hungry when I got her I was distraught.

I have until the 14th March to make it work.

As I express I only put 2ozs a time in so as not to waste it, I warm it and I've tried OH giving it. Is it just persistence?

*bangs head against wall repeatedly*

I think we have created boobie monsters.

I'm going to try the calmer one tomorrow if I can and just let her play with it to see if she is tempted. I think I know the answer.....

Can't wait for my mam & nuk to turn up. My ds was ff so this is all new. Didn't think it'd be so hard.

I've been giving a bottle of expressed milk a couple of times a week since 3/4 weeks. I tend to pop the teat in a bowl of warm water before putting it on the bottle. Formula tastes way different to BM so I think you're best off persevering with BM then introduce the formula as BM is much sweeter.

Wish I'd done it earlier. Teat on mam was warm. I got it in her mouth but no sucking.

I've been giving a bottle of expressed milk a couple of times a week since 3/4 weeks. I tend to pop the teat in a bowl of warm water before putting it on the bottle. Formula tastes way different to BM so I think you're best off persevering with BM then introduce the formula as BM is much sweeter.

Thanks for this tip. I tried the other day to give my dd a bottle of expressed milk and she absolutely would not take to the bottle. I am going to warm up the teat next time and see if she will take it. Any other tips to get her to take the bottle would be greatly appreciated. :flower:

I tried my defrosted bm today. Didn't realise about lipase and it was awful. No wonder she refused. Tried pumping and only got an ounce. Tried that but she totally refused.

I'm starting to feel trapped now. I never get any time alone with my toddler as she feeds 1-2hourly. I'm so tired I need my dh to help me so I can rest. Blah didn't feel like this before

I spoke to my HV at baby weigh today and she said to keep persevering and she might get it. HV also thought the longer the teat on the bottle the better. She did say at six months to try a free flow sippy cup but that isn't going to help now.

I've been busy today so not tried a bottle but as the weather is awful tomorrow I'll give the calmer bottle a try as it has a longer teat.

OH thinks that if she was really hungry she take it but I just can't deliberately make her starving and upset to try that.

You could try your OH taking baby out straight after a feed and bringing her back in time for the next one. Dd2 did 4 hours when I was at work - a bit grumpy but my sister thought it wasn't all hunger related - so you could squeeze a couple of hours. I've also made my Oh bring me dd2 first thing for a feed and then he gets up with them and I have a lie in for an hour or go in the bath. It's easier for him though as dd1 is 4 and easily distracted by the dancing form of Dick Van Dyke......

Wish I'd done it earlier. Teat on mam was warm. I got it in her mouth but no sucking.

Did you try poking it to make it squirt to show her what its actually for?

Progress. Well sort of....
I laid her on the floor and unscrewed the teat and let her play with it. Once she would chew it & let it in her mouth I screwed it on the bottle. She took a couple of sucks and then threw up lol.

She had just had a bf and the flow in the teat despite it being a one size maybe caused her to gag.

However, I'll try again tomorrow.

We tried the calmer bottle today and she still wasn't having any of it. Admittedly she wasn't hungry - going to try that tomorrow.

She will now play with the teat of a nuk and mam bottle and not scream at the taste of formula but she doesn't suck the teat yet. Progress slow but steady

I think I'm just not doing it enough. Mainly because I'm using breast milk and I hate pumping so I'm loathe to waste an ounce on her flat refusal. To be honest she didn't scream just didn't cooperate so I guess the right direction. I'll try during the week I think with just an ounce at a time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->