Questions about preparing bottles - please help!!

wifey2013

Reaction score
My LO is 3 weeks old and he gets very fussy when he wakes up hungry. I was feeding him ready-to-feed formula but now we are switching to concentrate because we need to use a lactose free formula due to excessive diarrhea.

My question is... can I boil water before bed, fill the about 3-4 bottles with the amount of water I need, bring it to room temperature add the formula, and then place them in the fridge until he needs his overnight feeds. Then my plan is to warm the formula as needed.

Would this be safe? If not, what do you mommies do to make sure your LO gets to eat as quick as possible?

Any advise would help! Thank you!!

I boil water and make up bottles for a 24 hour period. I let the water cool for about 20 minutes and use powdered formula. I refrigerate them of course. I then warm water in a bowl in the microwave, sit the bottles in it and then feed. My girls are three months now,

I boil water and make up bottles for a 24 hour period. I let the water cool for about 20 minutes and use powdered formula. I refrigerate them of course. I then warm water in a bowl in the microwave, sit the bottles in it and then feed. My girls are three months now,

Thank you!! Do you put the powder/formula in right before you warm it up or do you just prepare and refrigerate?

*EDIT* I just read on the can - I can prepare bottles and keep refrigerated for up to 48 hours. Thank you again for your help!!

Thank you!! Do you put the powder/formula in right before you warm it up or do you just prepare and refrigerate?

*EDIT* I just read on the can - I can prepare bottles and keep refrigerated for up to 48 hours. Thank you again for your help!!

What I do is ad the formula to the water in a big pitcher. Then I pour from the pitcher into the bottles. Saves time from mixing in each bottle. I just use a measuring cup to get the right amount of ounces.

What I do is ad the formula to the water in a big pitcher. Then I pour from the pitcher into the bottles. Saves time from mixing in each bottle. I just use a measuring cup to get the right amount of ounces.

That is brilliant!! But then, does the pitcher have to be sterilized?

What I do is ad the formula to the water in a big pitcher. Then I pour from the pitcher into the bottles. Saves time from mixing in each bottle. I just use a measuring cup to get the right amount of ounces.[/QUOTE]

That is brilliant!! But then, does the pitcher have to be sterilized?[/QUOTE]
I just wash the pitcher and bottles with hot water and soap.

If you can budget for it, seriously look in to Tommee Tippee Perfect Prep. It creates bottles with sterilised formula at the correct temperature in two minutes.

I'm quite lax about sterilising as long as everything is clean, however it is important to sterilise powder formula with boiled water. You mention bringing it down to room temp, be careful with that as that won't sterilise the formula, the water only needs to be left to cool for less than a minute to ensure it won't 'scald out' the nutrients.

If you can budget for it, seriously look in to Tommee Tippee Perfect Prep. It creates bottles with sterilised formula at the correct temperature in two minutes.

I'm quite lax about sterilising as long as everything is clean, however it is important to sterilise powder formula with boiled water. You mention bringing it down to room temp, be careful with that as that won't sterilise the formula, the water only needs to be left to cool for less than a minute to ensure it won't 'scald out' the nutrients.

Yes, I've looked into the Tommee Tippee Perfect Prep. The only thing is, I checked on their website but couldn't find information, can I use it with condensed liquid formula? Because I know the machine is made for powdered formula.

That's a good point. I normally just let it cool for 10-15 minutes but maybe I shouldn't wait that long.

Yes, I've looked into the Tommee Tippee Perfect Prep. The only thing is, I checked on their website but couldn't find information, can I use it with condensed liquid formula? Because I know the machine is made for powdered formula.

I don't see why not. You would probably need to put the milk in the bottle before the machine added the 'hot shot' so you can see how much you're using. The only problem might be that the machine makes a minimum of 4oz, so depending on how many parts water to condensed formula you need, you might end up with way too much milk made up.

Thanks everyone! I found a solution that is working great for us.

I purchased the Dr. Brown's Formula Mixing Pitcher (it's made for powder but works great for my needs too). I make the whole can of condensed formula with water in there and mix it all up. I distribute evenly between bottles, cap them and store them in the fridge.

I also bought the Dr. Brown's Bottle Warmer so now I just pop the bottle in and in three minutes I have the perfect bottle ready for my LO. I sterilize and prep bottles about once a day and I'm good to go. It's made the last few days much easier.

I'm always confused when I see posts about boiling water for formula. Does this differ by country? Our formula container says you 'can' but it depends on your local water source, and our pediatrician told us it wasn't necessary in our area. So we just use lukewarm tap water and mix the bottle up on the spot. Do the formulas you guys are using all say to boil the water?

I'm always confused when I see posts about boiling water for formula. Does this differ by country? Our formula container says you 'can' but it depends on your local water source, and our pediatrician told us it wasn't necessary in our area. So we just use lukewarm tap water and mix the bottle up on the spot. Do the formulas you guys are using all say to boil the water?

Here our water is safe too. We don't have to boil it. I do because I'm a paranoid first time mommy. I'm also using liquid formula. I know my dr said that if we were using powder he recommends a hot shot of water as the powder itself can harbor bacteria. Once LO gets a bit older I'll stop boiling the water.

I probably don't have to but I read somewhere it was good to do for about the first three months.

In the uk most formulas say you should use boiled water.

Safe here too but I use a filter on my tap :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->