questions on dopplers?

mcwhmm

Reaction score
I have been considering getting a doppler for this pregnancy. However, I have heard that they are unsafe and not good for the baby? Has anyone else heard this or been advised not to use them? Also, for those of you that have used them, when is the earliest that you have heard the heartbeat?

The only negative thing I've ever read about them was a paper written by a doctor (sorry don't have the link) who said the only worry is that a woman who suspected something was wrong might check with the doppler and hear a hb and think all is okay when it really might not be. He went on to say though that if he was a woman and was pregnant he'd buy one.

I had one with my pregnancy and my OB knew and was okay with it. I only used it every few days and only for a couple minutes. I didn't buy mine until I was 12 weeks, so by then I was easily able to find the hb. If you're concerned I'd talk with the OB or midwife and then make a decision, but I've never heard anything bad aobut them except what I posted above.

I had read somewhere on here that it sends waves through the baby or something? Sounded scary!

I've never heard anything bad about them and my Dr. never said anything to me when I told him I was using one. A doppler uses sound waves to find the hb, but I've never heard they were harmful. I wouldn't think that a Dr. would use one at every appointment if they could cause harm to the baby :shrug:

Dopplers, like ultasounds, use sound waves to hear and see baby so they're safe. I think the worry with dopplers is that they can't pick up a problem or one may worry there's a problem when there's not.

I used one with my daughter, I've not heard there unsafe. :flower:

dopplers are not classed as unsafe, if use needed to be to a min they wouldnt sell them privately only docs/mw would have them :)

I first used doppler in 07, second time in 09 i rented 1 about 3wk ago as i didnt intend on buying this time as i stopped using it by wk 14 last time.

Dopplers recommend from 12w onwards but many can pick up from 10w (personally i wouldnt recommend using any earlier but thats up to yourself)

Its best to have full bladder when using from 10w (i still need full bladder now aswell) just got to remember baby is still small and csn be many hiding places for them :)

Ive used rented 1 daily up to my 12w scan.

Haven't heard they're unsafe either. I found the heartbeat at around 9/10 weeks I believe :flower:

I found heart beat this pregnancy (3rd) really early at 8 weeks x

I read an article as well, as a naturalist friend of mine immediately contacted me when she read on facebook that I had purchased one. ULTRASOUNDS can be harmful if done too frequently... but they also use a MUCH higher mhz than just a fetal doppler to hear the hb. I bought the fetal doppler (heart sounds) and plan to only use it occasionally. Maybe once every couple weeks just to check on things. But for safety, I myself would limit usage and not hit the baby with it every day. Just for common sense reasons. Hope that helps! :)

I am absolutely sure that they are safe... I wonder however whether they are pleasant for the baby??

I don't know the answer to this but have wondered since using the doppler always seems to provoke a reaction from the baby.. perhaps using the doppler wakes them up?!

Either way I limit the use and certainly once I have located the HB, I pop it away!

I've used mine for 3 of my pregnancies (one I lost and both my children) wouldn't be without one myself. I would have been for many more scans if it wasn't for the Doppler!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->