Questions RE: traveling with a baby and sleeping away from home

Wriggley

Reaction score
Hi guys in 3 weeks me oh and Zacoiya are going to visit OHs family for the first time since Zacoiya was born (they been down to see us but this will be first time we go to them).

I have a few questions id like to ask advice for:

1. depending on the traffic the journey can take anywhere between 4-6 hours how is the best way to carry bottles? I was thinking of sterilising them and putthim boiled water in them ready and putting the powder into milk powder pots but my issue here is Zacoiya WONT take a bottle cold. Is it possible to get bottled heated at service stations? as i know theres alot of funny stuff going on about heating bottles now. Im also thinking i might carry a flask with hot water in as well as this only holds enough for 2 bottles but will be handy if i couldnt get anywhere to heat the bottles up??

2. Im having issues regarding where Zacoiya will sleep. We do have a travel cot but the mattress seems really thin and i cant see him being very comfy in it. can you use travel cots for a baby who will be 4 months old when using it? or we have a rocking crib at my mums - that we know he likes so would it be better to dismantal that and take that with us?

3. carseats are only supposed to be used for 2 hours max each day? how do i get round this one? lol

Not sure about the cot/travel cot but i would premake the bottles keep them cold in bottle bags and then take a flask of hot water to heat them. The car seat, you can stop after two hour have a break then put him back in x

I would take a flask to heat the bottles I case you are unable to stop anywhere.
In regards to sleeping he will be fine in a travel cot! Macie was using hers form about 10 weeks and although the mattress is thin he will be fine in it! If you wanted you could put a blanket under him.
And as for the carseat I wouldn't worry about him being in a car seat for longer than two hours on a rare occasion ! I think that guideline is more as if you shouldn't do it every day lol.
Hope this helps!!! And have a nice trip xxx

Same as you, making first trip to see OH's parents in 3 weeks and scared! It's a plane journey so even more complicated and will be about 4 hours, all being well, door to door.

1. Have you thought of Ready to Feed cartons? I'm bringing sterilised bottles and cartons, which can be served unheated at room temp. Would that still be too cold? Or you can get portable bottle warmers? So much handier and removes all safety worries.

2. Have used travel cot for a 4 month baby before so think that's fine. You can buy thicker mattresses for them? Or maybe have your LO try it out a few nights at home first?

We're going to just use the carrycot part from our travel system which is suitable for the odd overnight sleep. Do you have anything similar?

3. I always thought the car seat rule was 2 hours in a row? So if you stop once mid-way through and take him out for half an hour it should be fine? Think the rule is more of a consistent use issue for spine development - so I don't think a once off can be a problem? People must use car seats for longer when travelling all the time.

Sorry not much help, just some ideas! :)

Hi :)

We've done a few long journeys with Bella & did a few when she was about 3 1/2 months old over a weekend (Manchester to Cardiff, Cardiff to Plymouth, Plymouth to Winchester). In all honesty, I think it was more distressing for me than it was her, as she was still at the age where car journeys made her sleep a lot.

I'll answer your questions as best I can!

1. I took sterilised bottles & used cartons of milk. Bella will take her bottles at room temperature, but I'm sre if you ask at a service station, someone will warm a bottle for you (I've never had a problem in coffee shops anywhere, I doubt a service station would be any different). However, if you have the flask of boiling water (I use the tommee tippee one) then that should do you for any feeds on the journey. There is such thing as an in car bottle warmer as well (which you plug into the cigarette lighter bit https://www.amazon.co.uk/Babytec-Ca...8EI0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1296424250&sr=8-2) which might be a useful buy.

2. We've also used a travel cot when we've been away at my parents' (a couple of times). Bella's slept ok in it (she's always disrupted somewhat when we go somewhere new anyway). If she's not settling, I've just brought her into bed with me instead. When we did our epic journey, as we were staying with friends who didn't have a cot, then in a hotel which didn't provide one, & she was still small enough, we took her moses basket with us in the car (we didn't take her pushchair as I babywear 99.9% of the time, so that saved space, enough for the moses basket). She was still using it for naps & night time at home at the time.

3. I was under the impression it was 2 hours at a time. Bella was on a 3 hour feeding schedule, so we would stop approximately every 3 hours. Each time we stopped, by the time we fed her, changed her, had a drink ourselves, it was taking near enough an hour, so she was never in the seat more than 2 hours. I think a little over 2 hours would probably be ok at a time, but just try to time stopping at services for a max of 2 hours in the car seat, then have a stretch yourself & take zacoiya out for a cuddle & a little walk :)

good luck!
xx

Thanks girlies :hugs:

We have tried ready made cartoons but normally he sobs alot through them as he does like a nice warm bottle. If we leave about 30 mins after hes had his feed in the morning (i like to wait for any protental sickiness) then we will be to a nice decent services within 2 hours that we can stop at for a while and then again at another (we done the journey so many times we are a pro at knowing the good and bad service stations! lol but never had to need a bottle warming., Il have a look into those flasks and see what i can get :)

yes good idea we could try him in his travel cot one night at home to see how he is before taking apart his crib and ramming it into the car! lol

ok thats great il just make sure he has a nice break from the seat after 2 hours :) xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->