Quick market research question...

MemmaJ

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I've been making clothes for my own baby and toddler - rompers, leggings, dresses etc.... I'd really like to start my own business making for others but I haven't been brave enough yet...!

I was thinking of starting a page to make for others as 'product testers', just for the cost of materials only - in order to get some feedback/reviews before doing it properly. Would this be something as a parent you would be willing to do, or would you expect to receive a product for free as a tester...?

Thanks in advance for the feedback :)

Instagram 'shops' do really well with this kind of thing. Some do give away freebies to rest in return for photos to use as advertising etc but honestly I think people would pay to cover material cost as it would be minimal and they would be receiving handmade clothing, I certainly would. Give it a go! X

What exactly are you looking to test? Usually product testing is to see if something works without breaking. But clothes are clothes. They may fall apart eventually with wear but you won't know that for a long time (though you obviously know they hold up using them yourself). When we started our business, we just launched it and went right into sales, but we used our products ourselves before and gave a few to friends to use. We got photos from these that we could use to promote ourselves on our website, Facebook, for ebay and other sites, and we got a few reviews from friends to start us off. I personally would do that. You could even ask any friends who do photography as a hobby to take some photos for you in exchange for some clothes. We did this with a friend who did a photo shoot for us and we got some amazing photos from it that we still use like 4 years later.

You obviously have a baby and toddler about the right ages and you probably have friends who do as well. I would ask for their help in modelling a few and maybe giving them an outfit to review for you. And then I would just go for it. Put things up on etsy or your own website and offer to give like 5% off if people agree to instagram or review it or provide some sort of positive feedback. I think most people are happy to do that. I think 'product testing' makes it sound more involved than it is and may put some people off. But usually if you explain your business is new and you'd like to get some photos and reviews, most people are happy to help if the products you are providing are quality and they're happy with them. But if you are serious about it, I'd start off looking to make money rather than selling things at cost. You'd be amazed how actually people will shift their option of your product if they buy it for cheap and your reviews won't be as good. If you sell it proper retail value, people do actually think differently about it and will give you better reviews. It's just the psychology of it.

Good luck! We started our business when our daughter was 4 months old (my husband does it full-time, though I help out here and there and do weekends when it's busy, I have my own career and full-time job apart from that as well by choice). It's made an incredible difference in our quality of life and means that we get to spend a lot more time together now that he has so much more flexibility.

Thank you, perhaps 'product tester' was the wrong phrase to use - I meant more to let people have them at cost-price only, to get feedback on the quality, style, etc... which I hope in turn, will give me the positive feedback and confidence to start selling. At the moment I don't have the confidence and worry that my stuff isn't good enough.. :-(

I would also ask them to provide a photo of their child wearing it if they're happy to, that I can use in advertising.

Now is the perfect time while I'm on maternity leave, but I'm even nervous about doing this incase it's not good enough...! 🙈

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->