Quick q..

Blah11

☼ Mummy to Amelie ☼
Reaction score
How long do you chart for before you move to TTC? Obviously you don't have to but I'd of thought it would be a good idea to get the jist of your cycles before you actively try?
We plan on TTC next summer so if we NTNP from Spring and I'll chart during that (think itll be impossible to NT if I'm charting though :dohh:) do you think that'll be long enough - 3 or 4 months?

Thanks in advance :D

I don't know anything about TTC hun but just wanted to wish you luck! x

I think charting will mean that you are activly trying not ntnp.

I think charting will mean that you are activly trying not ntnp.

How else am I gonna know how long my cycles are and when I OV? I don't really want another winter baby (too costly if we get another birthday along with amelies - she is Jan 4th, and christmas!) which is why we wanna wait until Summer TTC. Maybe we could use condoms or something in the Spring whilst I chart.

If you are wanting to find out when you ov thats trying.
ntnp is doing nothing at all.

You could use something like mymonthlycycles, you put your first day of your period in and it works out how long your cycles in and it tells you when your are due to ov.

You could use something like mymonthlycycles, you put your first day of your period in and it works out how long your cycles in and it tells you when your are due to ov.

Oh :shrug: Guess we'll be 'trying' then even though we wont be BDing when I'm OV :blush:

i come off the pill and charted as we started ttc, but i'll probably do one or two months charting before our official date! oh how exciting blahh! i wishing my ttc was a little close :dohh:

Oh :shrug: Guess we'll be 'trying' then even though we wont be BDing when I'm OV :blush:

I don't think finding out when you are ovulating is necessarily TTC. Many people who practise natural conception methods do it to avoid pregnancy! I think it is a good idea to chart a few months before. This way you could give yourself the best chance of quickly conceiving when the time is right for you. In fact, I have been considering using OPKs for a few months before TTC (we haven't actually decided when to yet) to see if my cycle was back on track after having Tristan and breastfeeding as, at the moment, my cycle is a bit longer than before.

I think how long you chart for before TTC will depend on how regular you think your cycles are. If you are fairly regular, probably a few months would be fine - but if you are irregular, maybe using OPKS are the way to go. Before having Tristan, my cycles were always 29 days long and the three times I used OPKs, showed that I ovulated at around day15 - which would have been consistent with ov pains and so on.

Good luck! I hope you get a speedy BFP when the time is right for you.

I started charting 3 months ago and this is my second month of temping. I'm wtt and using condoms at the minute. I'm really glad I did this as I'm ovulating very late in my cycle which could cause problems and also have a short luteal phase. I don't find charting stressful at all - just really useful. It means I can discuss these issues with my doctor before ttc. If I hadn't charted/temped I would have thought everything was fine and goodness knows how long I would have ttc before realising there were issues.

Good Luck!

Ah thanks guys! I think I'll keep to my plan to chart April, May and June. And start officially TTC in July. I have no idea what my cycles will be like as my period hasn't came back yet as I am still BF Amelie :shrug:

I don't think finding out when you are ovulating is necessarily TTC. Many people who practise natural conception methods do it to avoid pregnancy! I think it is a good idea to chart a few months before. This way you could give yourself the best chance of quickly conceiving when the time is right for you. In fact, I have been considering using OPKs for a few months before TTC (we haven't actually decided when to yet) to see if my cycle was back on track after having Tristan and breastfeeding as, at the moment, my cycle is a bit longer than before.

I think how long you chart for before TTC will depend on how regular you think your cycles are. If you are fairly regular, probably a few months would be fine - but if you are irregular, maybe using OPKS are the way to go. Before having Tristan, my cycles were always 29 days long and the three times I used OPKs, showed that I ovulated at around day15 - which would have been consistent with ov pains and so on.

Yeah, I ideally want a Spring or Summer baby like I said so would want to conceive pretty quickly.. besides no one wants TTC for long, must be horrid to get lots of BFN :( Thanks X

I've been noting down my cycle lengths for about a year now (not specifically for TTC really but it's going to come in handy) as they vary from 27 to 37 days, with most being around 32. I plan to start using OPKs next month and possibly temping to give a rough idea of when in my cycle I OV.

However once we're actually TTC I think we'll just NTNP rather than continue charting - at least for a while - as I really think that both of us (and DH in particular) will find it too much pressure to 'perform' if I'm POAS every day and checking temperatures. I don't want it to turn into "quick I'm ovulating we need to BD now regardless of whether we want to" because I can see him feeling pressured into it and then me feeling stressed at him for not wanting to...blah blah blah...

But hopefully a few months charting beforehand should give me a rough idea of when I ovulate in my cycle so that we won't be COMPLETELY blind.

K x

i joined fertility friend and charted for about 3 months to get an idea about when i was ovulating, i was however using contraception still so for def not trying. when i was ready to start trying i had more of an idea of how my body was working and got pg in the first cycle. Good luck blah for me it worked, your just preparing yourself for actively trying.

I have no idea what my cycles will be like as my period hasn't came back yet as I am still BF :shrug:

me too how long have you been bf, any signs of your period yet? i am planning on ttc feb 2010, dont want a summer baby its too hot here!

I was charting for a couple of months before TTC. We weren't having sex at all just wanted to figure out my cycles.

Id say its up to you, however long you want to. I just wanted an idea of an average cycle for myself, because they're irregular.

xxx

I have no idea what my cycles will be like as my period hasn't came back yet as I am still BF :shrug:

me too how long have you been bf, any signs of your period yet? i am planning on ttc feb 2010, dont want a summer baby its too hot here!

No :( Had a few episodes of light spotting but that's about it. I had what I thought was a period a few weeks after lochia stopped but now I think it was just lochia again :shrug: Been BF for 7 months tomorrow without using any formula and she still has loads of milk :dohh: Planning on letting her self wean unless it gets to maybe 14-16 months then I'll wean her when TTC.

I intend to start charting as a natural family planning method to AVOID pregnancy, then when we start trying I think I'll just continue to use it, only in reverse!! I just have to wait and see if my cycles settle down enough to do that!! :dohh: So effectively I'll be monitoring my cycle ASAP (hopefully within 3-4 months...I'm HOPING less) and we're starting to try mid-next year if all goes to plan. :)

Good luck!

I am tempted to do some basic charting when I come off the pill, just to determine my cycle length really, as I've been on the pill for 10 years so I've no idea what my natural cycle is like! I'm not going to do the whole BBT/CM thing though, just dates - unless I have trouble with TTC (never tried before so no idea if all our bits work, heh).

It's definitely useful, I think. I thought I'd do about 3 months too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->