• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Quirky n cute name

jeanyern123

Reaction score
Our baby girl is only 2 months away and we've decided to call her Little Olive.
Her common name will be Olive but her formal name is Little Olive. :flower:
Eeeee!

I suppose if that's what you want. I'd say name her Olive, and have her nn be Little Olive.

Can you picture her filling out job applications as an adult "First Name: Little" "Middle Initial: O."

I know it sounds cute for a baby girl, but that baby girl will be a woman one day!

I'm not sure if you are kidding or not!

Olive is a lovely name, not sure why you'd add 'Little' to it except as a nn. What if your daughter grows to be very tall or largely built? It would be a total misnomer and potentially very embarrasing for her.

I understand choosing a name or liking/disliking a name is hugely a matter of personal taste, but I wouldn't do this.

Honestly, I don't think it'd be fair on your baby to call her that. Cute as a nickname for a child but, as the pp said, not so cute if you're a grown woman trying to be taken seriously in the world.

I agree with pps
I think she may get bullied with a name like that as children can be very cruel

You are joking right? If you aren't, please don't do this to your baby. She won't thank you.

Olive is a pretty name but I have to agree with the others, not keen on little as an official name. I'd say name her Olive and call her little Olive as a nn x

If her name was in Japanese or Maori the name would Suko or Iti, see how that has already made a difference even though it means the same thing. But I know for a fact Maori people are respectful and cultured and not judgemental and if a child was called Iti they would simply say that is a beautiful name...They know there's more to a name than it's face value.
And you all should know that too?

Question your own name.

My name is Swelled Sky or Rangiwhakaki and I'll get called either from time to time by family and friends, like in the Indian culture...I.E Little Bear, Two Socks. In this white world Im called Jean, much more pleasant for everyone else.
I'm proud of my names, they're from an ancestor filled with love, strength, a story and understanding.
People love to hear where the name Swelled Sky came from and what it means.

In your case... How can you defend names like Cliff, Mat, April, Paris etc etc What's so great about these names?
Why aren't you pulling up the parents of people who have those names?
Why the face value judgement on one name and not another?

Don't be so literal and think oh you can't name a child after a city!? Paris is a city not a name.

Hear the name for the sound. The music that the name makes. Again, what's the story behind the name?

And, eww yuck all of you are bitches! I don't know why I shared, I thought you were my sisters.
I'll name my child anything I want, thank you very much!
She will be proud and she will not be take shit from people like you.

Im sorry I called you a bitch. I was hurt. Im ok now I understand that the internet's harsh. Trolls are about. Some people just don't understand and judge fast n hard. This is an instance.

Seriously shell be ok with her name. Just worry about your own kid and know that Ill never make fun of their name or you. Were all different lady, accept it, theres no right or wrong way.

Unless you call your kid Hitler the killer.

At first read I was like what??!! :wacko: But now you have explained it (well ranted :haha:) I do actually get it. I love your name. Where did Swelled Sky come from? Little Olive is very pretty but as you say in a white world does sound a bit strange to our ears. Can I ask what your inspiration for the name is?

You got some decent, honest replies. If you look at the other threads there are always responses from those who do like it and those who don't. None were nasty so I think you were pretty out of order and very immature calling posters bitches and trolls. I think your explanation of how you feel about those names is lovely but you need to consider that your child will not be growing up in those places so the initial reaction will not be the same. I think your name is very lovely and interesting, 'little' doesn't give the same impact imo. It sounds like someone's tried to just give a cutesy name rather than one with depth and meaning like yours. Obviously call her what you want but take advantage of the fact you have an insight into how people will perceive it and think about her future when she's no longer 'little'.

you got some decent, honest replies. If you look at the other threads there are always responses from those who do like it and those who don't. None were nasty so i think you were pretty out of order and very immature calling posters bitches and trolls. I think your explanation of how you feel about those names is lovely but you need to consider that your child will not be growing up in those places so the initial reaction will not be the same. I think your name is very lovely and interesting, 'little' doesn't give the same impact imo. It sounds like someone's tried to just give a cutesy name rather than one with depth and meaning like yours. Obviously call her what you want but take advantage of the fact you have an insight into how people will perceive it and think about her future when she's no longer 'little'.

^ wss.

I understand that you don't see it the same way we do, but do you want your daughter to grow up in a world where no one understands her name, and in most cases, misunderstands?

If you didn't want honest replies why did you post?? In the western world naming your child 'little' will leave them open to a whole host of bullying. I'm not saying it's right but that is the narrow minded society we live in.

I have a friend who is known as "Running Wind" in his culture, but goes by his English name. He still feels strongly for his birth name and has it tattooed on his back in his language.

I feel that because you explained that, in your culture, this name would be more than appropriate, it is a nice name. Please remember that she will be interacting with people who are enculturalized to accept more English-sounding names. You say your "white name" is Jean. Perhaps consider giving her one as well, or simply allowing her the choice. :flower:

I think you should just be aware that her name on paperwork would likely be "Little" not the full "Little Olive" that you'd like her to have.

I think it's a sweet meaning you are trying to get, but I don't think you really want to name your daughter "Little" do you? It all depends on people in your area, and perhaps this is acceptable in Australia whereas in the US it's more custom to be called "Olive" rather than "Little"

I like Olive and Olivie' (oliv-ee-ay) both gorgeous names and not too common; it's just the "Little" part that throws me off, and I'm guessing that's also what the other PPs are trying to say

well that was an over reaction and a half to honest opinions lol... in my opinion its a stupid name it sounds like something from the jungle book which might be adorable for a pet bear but not as a legal name for an adult

all our reasons are very good and practical ones that will occur in your childs life so instead of flying off the handle maybe digest them as the sensible advise they clearly are

Judge little Olive
Dr. little Olive
welcome to the stage the stripper little Olive
my name is little Olive and I will be your waitress
I present you the noble peace prize winner little Olive
do you little Olive take this man/woman to be your lawfully wedded spouse

ect... you dont know what your kid will do but dont shoot them in the foot at the starting block because where my OH works (a huge international banking chain with jobs in 100s of different sectors) I know any CVs that come in with stupid names get thrown out instantly, they recently instantly binned an application from someone called White Chris because it sounds like a 'rapper' - is that unfair?

maybe but theirs a handful of jobs and a million qualified applicants that are all as good as each other so cutting that list via names that would make the company look like a joke is actually incredibly sensible

in my knowledge the only career path known of the name little is if your a rapper so that fits right in the same category of 'joke' name from a hiring point of view

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->