Quit Effexor Cold Turkey

Alexas Mommy

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

Just wondering if anyone has stopped taking their antidepressants after finding out they were pregnant?

When I was pregnant with my DS, I was on effexor and celexa and I did my research and decided to go off of celexa and stay on effexor as from most of the things that I read, it seemed that the majority of women who quit taking effexor during the first tri went on to miscarry.

Flash forward 4 years later, and I am pregnant again, and I was still on effexor (only because the withdrawal was too difficult so I stayed on it for convenience, NOT because I felt I needed it- anyone who has ever been on this drug I am sure can resonate!)

Anyway, I quit effexor cold turkey 5 days ago. Mentally, I feel great, back to my normal self before I started this evil drug, 5.5 years ago. Of course I am experiencing horrible withdrawal (brain zaps, crazy dreams, hot and cold flashes, jitters, increased anxiety due to too much stimulation or even due to being too excited) Luckily I don't have the lingering depression and self hating thoughts, but I know in my heart that this is because my OH is such a great support system.

ANYWAY, has anyone gone off of antidepressants cold turkey after finding out they were pregnant? What were the results?

I guess what I am wondering if the impact of withdrawal possibly going to cause me to miscarry :cry::cry:

Sorry that this is all over the place, I am wide awake when I should be sleeping, but... withdrawal brain zaps and anxiety have me awake :(

PS please don't suggest going back on effexor, minus all of the withdrawal symptoms, this is a very positive thing!

:hugs:

I have stopped my antidep (not Effexor) and no signs of miscarriage for this pregnancy yet but I have had multiple early losses previously, but I can't categorically say it was down to stopping my antidepressant. I didn't get any issues coming off and feel ok- it's been about 6 weeks since I went cold turkey.

The antidepressant I take is in a different and older class to Effexor. In a past pregnancy I was advised to stay on my anti dep even though was harmful in 3rd tri/birth, needless to say I came off myself but my mind wasn't great.

I have tried effexor in the past (not when ttc or pregnancy though) and coming off was truly horrible, everything you describe I also had. It will get better though.

Are you seeking advice from your healthcare professional?

Thank you for your reply, GI JANE! it eases my mind to read about women who have made similar choices.

I have seeked advice about effexor and weaning off in the past several times and the only people who truly understand and warn about the withdrawal, are pharmacists!

This time I did it myself, and my OH is keeping an extra eye on me. He was a pharmacy assistant 15 years ago or so, when he was in law school, and he is compassionate and understands the withdrawal risks etc, he is supportive of the choice I made and he told me he is blown away with how well I have been handling the withdrawal, emotionally. He can tell I'm happier. That said, I am someone who is literal about how things make me feel, so there are times I could be depressed and is keep it in and no one would know, so I can't compare my progress based on his observations. But based on my own, I feel much better than I have in the past when I weaned down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->