Random Question

ValentinesGal

Clay's Mama & Expecting#2
Reaction score
This is random, but when you make a bottle and you want to make a 6 oz. bottle....you add 6 oz. of water and then the formula. After you're done mixing it, it now looks like a 7 oz. bottle....so are you really giving LO a 6 oz. bottle or technically a 7 oz. one?

It just dawned on me that DS may actually be eating a lot more than I was originally counting :blush::dohh:

Hope that makes sense...what do you ladies think?

Its 6oz its just the weight of the formula makes the volume of water more

I agree - it's 6 oz. It's like if you run a bath of 20 litres of water and then you get in it, its still the same volume of water.

I always get questions like that in my head, and the more you think about them the more confused you get!! :blush:

i use 7oz of water then add formula makes it nearer 8 :)

I emailed SMA about this. They told me it's the total made up amount, so if you put 7oz of water and add 7 scoops, it makes 8oz of made up formula. If you look at the nutritional information, it's per 100ml of made up feed. Just the same if you use a carton and measure out 8oz, it's 8oz not 7 - if that makes sense lol!

Dear Anna,

You are adding 7 scoops of feed to 7 fl oz of water, so the total volume reconstituted will be more than 7 fl oz. The total fluid level increases due to the addition of the powder. Historically people will talk about the number of scoops used being the feed size, however the true feed size will be the final reconstituted volume.

I hope you find this information suitable for your needs but should you have any further questions please feel free to contact the SMA Careline again.

Kind regards,
Michelle Kerry
Careline Advisor

Wed 06/07/2011 07:41
Question: When counting how many oz my daughter has had, do I go by the amount of water in the bottle or by the amount of liquid there is after adding the powder? For example Francesca is currently on 7oz bottles - 7oz of water with 7 scoops of powder. When mixed together it comes up to the 8oz line. If she finishes the bottle, do I say she has had 7oz or 8? And if it's only 7 how do you count if she only has part of a bottle? I hope that makes sense! Thank you

Hope that helps xx

Ahh I've always wondered that too as when people ask me how much she has I always say 7 scoops which makes it go up to about 8 oz lol xx

I emailed SMA about this. They told me it's the total made up amount, so if you put 7oz of water and add 7 scoops, it makes 8oz of made up formula. If you look at the nutritional information, it's per 100ml of made up feed. Just the same if you use a carton and measure out 8oz, it's 8oz not 7 - if that makes sense lol!

Dear Anna,

You are adding 7 scoops of feed to 7 fl oz of water, so the total volume reconstituted will be more than 7 fl oz. The total fluid level increases due to the addition of the powder. Historically people will talk about the number of scoops used being the feed size, however the true feed size will be the final reconstituted volume.

I hope you find this information suitable for your needs but should you have any further questions please feel free to contact the SMA Careline again.

Kind regards,
Michelle Kerry
Careline Advisor

this makes no sense as yes 7oz of water with 7 scoops might make 8oz but 4oz of water and 4 scoops wouldnt make 5 oz it would make 4.5 surely :shrug: and as far as im aware no-1 is giving half oz feeds

also alot of it will be froth from shaking the bottle - dont add less scops that water as this can cause problems

i went by how many oz of water i added before the powder. so 7oz water, 7 scoops = 7oz bottle.. xx

Yeah I've never heard of it being the final volume as you can't accurately measure that. I will stick to it being the amount of water being the amount given.

Dear Anna,

Kind regards,
Michelle Kerry
Careline Advisor

this makes no sense as yes 7oz of water with 7 scoops might make 8oz but 4oz of water and 4 scoops wouldnt make 5 oz it would make 4.5 surely :shrug: and as far as im aware no-1 is giving half oz feeds

also alot of it will be froth from shaking the bottle - dont add less scops that water as this can cause problems

Whatever level the liquid is at once the powder has been mixed with the water, that is the amount you count. So if it's halfway between 4 and 5oz then it's 4.5oz.

As I said the nutritional values are for each 100ml of made up formula - there's no sense going by the amount of water because there's no nutrition in water!

If you have 8oz of made up feed and your baby drinks leaves 2.5oz in the bottle, then you would say they have had 5.5oz wouldn't you? And if they finish the bottle, how can you say they've only had 7oz when there was 8oz of liquid to start with?

Pre-made cartons are essentially the powder and water ready mixed for you - if you pour out 5oz then you count it as 5oz, not 4 or 4.5 or anything else. The difference with the tins is you mix it yourself!

I would say go by the water volume. My pediatrician says that Bonnie should be getting 24 oz of fluid a day. Even when making her a 6-oz bottle and it's nearly 7 oz when formula is added, she's still only getting 6 oz of fluid from that bottle. If that makes sense...

Dear Anna,

Kind regards,
Michelle Kerry
Careline Advisor

Whatever level the liquid is at once the powder has been mixed with the water, that is the amount you count. So if it's halfway between 4 and 5oz then it's 4.5oz.

As I said the nutritional values are for each 100ml of made up formula - there's no sense going by the amount of water because there's no nutrition in water!

If you have 8oz of made up feed and your baby drinks leaves 2.5oz in the bottle, then you would say they have had 5.5oz wouldn't you? And if they finish the bottle, how can you say they've only had 7oz when there was 8oz of liquid to start with?

Pre-made cartons are essentially the powder and water ready mixed for you - if you pour out 5oz then you count it as 5oz, not 4 or 4.5 or anything else. The difference with the tins is you mix it yourself!

Far enough i get what your saying but it still feels wrong to me

I mean if we went with my lb needs a 5oz bottle how many scoops and water would that be :shrug: 5oz water and 5 scoops would be to much. It makes making formula so much harder if you go by final volume

I don't think it does. When they start finishing the bottle you start adding an extra oz of water and an extra scoop of powder.

If 4oz water and 4 scoops makes 4.5oz of liquid, and they drink it all, they've had 4oz of water. But if they leave an oz in the bottle, how much water have they had? Because obviously there is still some in the bottle. But you can confidently say they've had 3.5oz of feed. To me it's much easier to work out.

And as I keep saying, the nutritional values are based on per 100ml of made up feed, not per scoop of powder. So it makes sense that when working out how much they've drunk, it's based on the total volume not the amount of water.

Fran is currently on 7oz and 7 scoops, which conveniently make 8oz of feed, and has 2 bottles a day. If she drains them both, she's had 16oz. If she leaves an oz in each, shes had 14oz. If I went by the amount of water, I couldn't honestly tell you how much she has. But the powder dissolves and becomes liquid so you can't just ignore it.

But regardless, I work it out that way because I find it easier. You do it your way because that's what makes sense to you. As long as they are feeding and growing, that's ultimately the most important thing xxx

Thanks everyone! I def. see both sides of it. DS eats like a pig, so I know he's getting all the nutrition he needs. It's just interesting that if I go by volume and not just fluid, he's actually been taking in 7 oz. a feeding since he was 5 weeks! :wacko: I'll probably still refer to it as a 6 oz. bottle because its easier to remember :haha:

Lol yeah I still call it a 7oz bottle so I remember how much water and how many scoops to put in :)

I was wondering this myself... as I realized that I am on my third child, and I never even thought of this... I always did it as total liquid made, not by how much powder I had used... For my first two I would make a day's worth and put it in the fridge, and I always assumed if I used 13-14 scoops but ended up with 31-32oz of liquid, that's how much they were eating...

So today, I decided to contact Gerber (the formula that I use) directly... and here is what transpired!

Rachael: if i mix 4 oz. of water with 2 scoops of formula, and result in 5oz in the bottle, do i count it as 4 oz or 5oz?
** Welcome. You are number 1 in line.
Thank you for waiting. You are now talking with Ashley.
Ashley: Hello!
Rachael: Hi Ashley
Ashley: This is a great question!
Ashley: It would count as a 4 oz bottle.
Ashley: We account for this with our mixing instructions. Baby is still only getting 4oz of formula.

I have never heard anyone measure a bottle of formula by the amount of water used to make it. Only ever by total volume once the powder was added.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->