RANT: My job is driving me crazy!!

BadMamaJAMA

Reaction score
I'm inches a way from walking out of here and getting donuts.

I'm not sure if it's the hormones, my crazy work environment, or both... but I feel like I can't handle my job today.

I have this co-worker (who has a higher title and salary than me) who needs so much hand-holding it's ridiculous. We're supposed to be working on a project "together," which roughly translates to her calling me all the time asking exactly what she should be doing and the rationale behind that and every little step along the way. IT'S SO FRUSTRATING! She's supposed to get content together, and I'm supposed to take the steps to get that content turned into a digital product. Why do I have to walk her through her job?! I already have one stepkid and another kiddo on the way - I don't come to work to take care of her. HARUMPH!

And then somehow I became to workhorse for every.single.project. I'm supposed to be doing communications, but here I am researching content for charts and whatever else... because everyone else is "too busy." I'M FREAKING BUSY! Getting dumped on is hard! And because I'm at the low end of the food chain and all the people above me are so busy, I work and work and work in what feels like a vacuum because the people who need to review my stuff don't have time to do so.

And this one manager is making me NUTS!!! I have to seek out her feedback because she's basically a whirling dervish who never sits still and thus never actually gets anything done. And she basically just told me to start over on something.. making what was supposed to be a simple task infinitely more complicated by sending me about a thousand links "for context."

I've just kind of had it.

What's worse is that, as an American, I don't get any guaranteed paid maternity leave. I earned FMLA leave of 12 weeks (unpaid) by virtue of being at this job for a year, thank goodness. My job USED TO pay all that leave, but now they will only pay 6 weeks. It's way too expensive where I live to have 6 weeks unpaid. So that's what I get (maybe an extra week or so of vacation time).

I'm bummed. I'm frustrated. I feel unappreciated and as though I'm being taken advantage of. Donuts it is. :cry:

During my first pregnancy I kept getting given other people's roles while they went on extended/long service leave. During my first tri, I was doing five people's roles (including my own job which included delivering a very big project). To make matters worse, I was supposed to be on bed rest due to threatened miscarriage. And my boss knew! I spoke to him about prioritising tasks because it was just not possible to do everything they were asking of me and his response was "it's all a priority." They just kept giving me more and more work. It was horrible and really stressful but I felt like I had to keep doing it because I didn't want to lose my job.

Anyway long story short, when it came time to return to work after having DS they wouldn't accommodate my request for flexible working hours (which is a legal requirement in Aus) and I ended up not returning. In hindsight, I wish I had had the courage to resign during that pregnancy and I now realise they didn't give a damn about my wellbeing and me and my son deserved better.

Not saying you should resign! But just saying that you shouldn't be afraid to prioritise your wellbeing, because no one else is necessarily going to.

If I weren't in the US (where insurance is not guaranteed), I would quit. But I can't have a lapse in insurance... :(

Feeling better since my rant. :)

Oh poor you thats just not fair. You must be seen as very capable if everyone keeps dumping work on you - in a roundabout way its a complement. The US maternity leave is terrible - I feel for you guys. My company maternity leave is excellent (not that you want to hear that), oddly its an American company but I'm in the UK! 6 weeks is harsh!

Glad writing it down made you feel better. Take care of yourself as much as you can- and bring on the weekend!

:nope: aww it sucks being stuck with everything. I don't work but my DH does, and he always gets everything dumped on him its ridiculous, and they underpay him quite a bit, but he's stuck cause his field is competitive so finding other work isn't as easy as it sounds.

Mmmm...donuts.

I mean, sorry for you struggles. Glad you're feeling better.

Also...mmmmm....donuts.

You are single handedly responsible for my donut run today. (The obsession has been brewing for a while).

DO NOT get the pumkin pie donut from Dunkin' Donuts.

A) You will never eat anything else
B) That will mean I can't eat all of them all by myself

You are single handedly responsible for my donut run today. (The obsession has been brewing for a while).

DO NOT get the pumkin pie donut from Dunkin' Donuts.

A) You will never eat anything else
B) That will mean I can't eat all of them all by myself

BWAHAHAHA you are a riot.

Just a simple girl that loves donuts.

Today is day two running of pumpkin pie donut for breakfast.

I've been eating salads, beans and loads of quinoa to try to balance the nutritional deficit of donuts for breakfast. Even giving up my beloved PB&J lunch...

WORTH IT!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->