**Rant Warning** L&D makes me feel stupid

StillPraying

Stay at home Mommy of 3
Reaction score
This is a definite rant ladies.
I've had diarrhea that has gotten worse my whole third trimester and problems with dehydration. I went into preterm labor at 27 weeks which they were able to stop thank goodness :wacko:
I just have not been feeling right the last few days. Back pain, cramping, diarrhea, nasea, occasional vomiting.... and I can hardly walk.
So this AM I went limping in to L&D to make sure baby girl was okay because she really hasn't been moving like normal. Better safe than sorry right?
Nurse was very sweet but the dr basically wrote me off :growlmad: and honestly made me feel like I was wasting her time.
On the paperwork they give you, diarrhea is one of the things you should go in for. Well I've been having that but apparently it's "normal", I don't know if my water is leaking cuz im always wet but apparently I would know if it was. Yet she didnt bother tomgive me an exam??The fact that any form of liquid makes me sick is apparently also normal and I should force it down even if it makes me puke.:growlmad: I'm so dehydrated that I could barely give a pee sample! It took one of the corpsman to suggest giving me an IV to at least rehydrate me and prevent another preterm labor episode.
I'm so frustrated. This isn't my first Pregnancy. I've had 2 miscarriages and one live birth, and this pregnancy has had quite a few complications, so no not very confident. They tell you come in for xyz, I come in for those reasons, but because I'm not going into labor I'm the stupid one. :dohh:
thank you for reading my rant.

I feel the same way about them!!!! My Dr. has sent me down to L&D twice for monitoring. One time it was for high blood pressure and one time it was for high blood pressure AND I had the flue so they thought I should be monitored and given IV fluids. (they are really expecting me to get preeclamsia) And both times most of the nurses there acted like I was waising their time.... even the lady at the front desk ROLLED HER EYES. Its enought to make you crazy.

I went to L and D around 23 ish weeks for a terrible uti. One I had never experienced before. I was peeing blood, epic pressure down below, I was crying shaking my BP was up, in huge pain and not able to leave the washroom for much more then a minute or two without running back in agony.

The triage nurse at L and D said and I quote "just because you're pregnant doesn't mean you have to come here". She also said there's nothing they can do for me I couldn't get at another hospital. And then they let me leave without so much as checking my vitals.

I told this to my Ob when she finally came back from her 2 month holiday. She was disgusted. She told me if that happens again to ask for the Dr on call or have them call her now that she's back and she'd set them right. Where was that when I needed it!? I flat out said I didn't want to deliver there because of the nurses. I decided to deliver there because I love my Dr to death and didn't want to find a new one who delivers out of the only other L and D hospital we have.

I don't know why nurses, or doctors for that matter, are so quick to brush someone off. The entire time were pregnant were told to do what's best for the baby I.e eat better, tests, ultrasounds, rest, don't take medication etc but when WE feel there's something not right with OUR body or baby, we get sent home. It's sick.

Sorry that was epic. I feel your frustration. Xox.

It's so frustrating!! I'm like I know I'm not in labor but where else do I go for help?!

I can't believe they sent you away with a UTI!!

kaja the dr rolled her eyes when I said I didn't know if my water could be leaking. Uuugggh. No faith in humanity.

Awful that you ladies had such bad expediences. When I went in a couple of weeks back for reduced movement the MW said you should never feel like you are wasting their time and I should go in any time I'm worried even if it's the next day. That's how it should be. Don't be put off going in again if you need to, hopefully you just got unlucky with a bad Dr and the others there will be ok. I hope you feel better soon xx

That's awful, of course you should be going in with all that going on. They should have at least given you some anti sickness meds so you can get water into you. Is there another Dr you can see?

That's terrible after everything you've been through already hon :hugs: as Cattia said, I've been in twice for reduced movement and both times the mw said they would always rather see us a hundred times and everything be ok than for us to stay at home worrying or come in too late and it not be ok. Sounds like your hospital need a kick in the bum. Is there another one you could go to? Is your mw or dr supportive?

That's awful! In my last pregnancy I went about twelve times for reduced movement and two times for something else they never made me feel like I was wasting their time.

Also it something was o go wrong touch wood everything goes smooth for everyone but midwives are 100% accountable for themselves. So there would be an inquest, they would be found guilty for not taking you seriously and sacked. So basically they all need to be stepping up their game a lot! X

Omg I'd totally have gone in.

The hormones can do all sorts to your body in the third tri but loose stools can be a sign of labour and nausea can also be a sign or it could be hormonal but why would you risk not getting checked??

Cramps and backache are again symptoms we shouldn't ignore so they are wrong to make you feel that way.

As for leaking fluid, I've been told it would be clear and sweet smelling, not like normal cm but you are not medically trained so they should check it out especially with the pre term issue before and your history.

I cannot imagine how you must feel it's totally wrong!!!!
Big hugs, stay firm, tell them what you want and don't take no for an answer, there is too much at stake x

I can't believe they reacted like that to you, they are there to help pregnant women?! not right at all.

seems like our nurses in the uk make sure they always tell us to come in if we think babys movements have reduced, ive had to go in for soo many appointments & everyone says 'if you think somethings not right come in straight away never think you will waste our time we would always rather check' i feel so lucky that so far i have liked 99% of the staff i have seen so far.

we should always feel comfortable & looked after every time we go to see medical staff imo

I'm so sorry honey. That is beyond frustrating. Don't feel stupid for going no matter how they treat you. You know what's best for you and baby. Keep going back until you're seen and treated properly if you feel you need attention. Always go with your gut because you're rught. Better safe than sorry.

That's terrible, I would have thought they'd be encouraging you to come in with what you said. I was up at the hospital on Wednesday night until 2am because I had some light bleeding and they said I should definitely come in and be checked, the examined me and also monitored baby to make sure everything was ok and they were lovely even though it was the middle of the night.

It seems weird to me that a lot of the responses where the staff were great are from UK ladies, you would have thought it would be the other way arozund when US ladies have to pay for their treatment.

Thanks ladies, glad I'm not just overreacting! Unfortunately due to bein in the military I don't have the option of a different hospital. the nurses are normally lovely, it's just the Dr's who seem to think since I'm military as well as them I don't deserve to be treated as a pregnant woman? ?idk just my theory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->