Raspberry leaf tea- worth trying?

Beee

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has any success stories with raspberry leaf tea? Also, how many cups should you have? I'm 33+3.
Thanks xx

I've always had it in my last few pgs. Think I've started them (tablets or tea) around 34 weeks and while I don't think it makes any difference regarding starting labour, I'd like to think it might of helped me have quick deliveries with no 3rd stage problems.

I've not had the tablets this time around, just the tea (ringtons version from tesco) occasionally. I do prefer the tablets though as they are easier to take. I can't remember the amount you take, but I think it usually says on the tub. Xxx

Hey ya, I used it through my last pregnancy from 32 weeks (2 cups a day) and increased it to about 4 cups toward the end.

I will be using it again this time from abt 30 weeks will start on a cup a day.

To start yourself I'd begin with 1 cup a day and just see how you get on with it then increase to two. I will say though if it starts making your bh's painfull then they advise you to stop drinking it.

Good luck.x

I'd say the same as Holly82. It did not start my labour as I was overdue (baby born at 41+4). But when it started, 1st was really bearable I spent it all, and 2nd stage went so fast that I delivered not even 1 hour after making it to the hospital.
I started at 35 weeks with 1 cup a day, increasing every week to arrive at 4-5 cups/day. It's def worth it.

I wouldn't really be able to comment on this, I took it last time, it didn't bring on labour and when I was induced it didn't seem to have done anything to help, ended up with an emergency section!
So this time.. I haven't bothered :)

I've been taking it since about 30-32 weeks, can't remember now... just the tablet form 'cause I can't stand fruit tea!

I obviously haven't given birth yet so can't properly testify as to whether or not it's helped, but I was actually thinking before, I've been having a LOT of practice contractions/braxton hicks over the past few weeks and I'm wondering whether the RLT has had anything to do with it?? It's basically meant to limber up your uterus so it's prepared for labour and can work more effectively, so it would kinda make sense if you see what I mean?? I'm not sure.. But I'll let you know how my delivery goes! :thumbup:

Absutely.

Started it around 28 weeks both times, max dose by 32 weeks.. Alongside epo

Dd- 12 hr (easy labor, family history of 30+ hr labor), 3/4 stitches, bled barely for 2 weeks

Ds- water broke 8 days early, 1.5 hr labor, 2 pushes, 1-2 stitches, no pain relief as labor was too fast

Given my family history my births were miraculous :haha: I sum it all up to epo and rlt

Edit- the masses of bh were normal for me too I believe they really did "tone" my uterus. Especially given my sons Hollywood labor.

Absutely.

Dd- 12 hr (easy labor, family history of 30+ hr labor), 3/4 stitches, bled barely for 2 weeks

Ds- water broke 8 days early, 1.5 hr labor, 2 pushes, 1-2 stitches, no pain relief as labor was too fast

Given my family history my births were miraculous :haha: I sum it all up to epo and rlt

Edit- the masses of bh were normal for me too I believe they really did "tone" my uterus. Especially given my sons Hollywood labor.

That's reassuring! I've been taking EPO too.. glad to hear a success story!

Absutely.

That's reassuring! I've been taking EPO too.. glad to hear a success story!

Oooh sounds positive!! By EPO do you mean evening primrose oil? How much of this do you take and when?

xx

Ps AK89, will be keeping an eye out for your birth story to see if you think it helped you at all :thumbup: Hoping it does
xx

Just found this on the internet..

"Starting at about 34 weeks, begin taking two 500 mg capsules of evening primrose oil daily .
At 38 weeks, up the dosage of evening primrose oil to three to four 500 mg capsules daily.
Oil can also be used for perineal massage to prevent episiotomy and further soften the cervix during labor."

I take it vaginally too, just insert one of the tablets from your recommended dose instead of taking it, preferably at night just before you go to sleep (as it can trickle out if you're not lying down! :thumbup:)

Thanks for that, anything is worth trying imo to make things easier!
Xx

ak89:I completely forgot I did this with ds2, I remember climbing in to bed then having to get up again to wee so not sure it helped much:blush:

Haha I know, you really have to make sure it's the last thing you do! AND you have to make sure your hands are SUPER clean too obviously.. And then if you have to go to the toilet in the middle of the night it can be a bit ...oily...haha

But yeah, I agree, we might as well try everything we can! I actually just found a box of 30 500mg capsules in Poundland! :thumbup:

Hi I started at about 35 weeks, 1 cup a day then 36 weeks, 2 cups, 37 3 cups a day, 38-40 weeks 4 cups then I actually stopped having it. It did use to make my tummy a bit unsettled and that's why I stopped having it towards the end. My labour was so quick and actually easy. I obviously can't say whether it was the tea or not but think it contributed xx

Hiya!

I used it with my son, and I'm using it again. I attribute my lovely fast labor (in part) to using Red Raspberry Leaf tea. I only drank it, no capsules (didn't know they existed until recently :haha:). With my son, I started very late. Probably around 37 weeks, and I just drank and drank and drank the stuff. I did loose leaf tea, but I probably had about 4 or more cups per day (difficult to know for sure... I'd just shove a random amount into a tea bag and brew)?!?!

My labor with my son was only 8 hours from the first contraction to the last push, and most of that was holding still for the IV antibiotics and being set to bed-rest as my water was about to break. My first two contractions were 5 minutes apart, and by the time I made it to the hospital (10 minutes down the road), I was 9cm dilated. My son was born 5 days early

This time, I've slowly introduced the stuff: I started at 32 weeks with one-two cups/day, and at 37 weeks (last Wed), I upped it to 4 cups (loose leaf again).

I was told that you really can drink it any time because it doesn't start labor or contractions. HOWEVER today, at L&D, the nurse was telling me that they hate when people come in during their first and second trimesters already drinking it because more often than not, they are the ones coming in with cramping and contractions?!?! It's just something to consider. I would talk to your doctor/midwife before jumping into anything new. My doctor's midwife told me to start at 32 weeks with the small dose and then up it to 4 at full term.

I also eat 6 (roughly) dates/day. It is good for preparing everything as well, and it's food therapy, so no harm no foul if nothing results from it. :shrug:. I also do get acupuncture at least once/week (hubby and myself are acupuncturists), and walk and do yoga poses and stretches that are supposed to be good for the body. Who knows what worked, but my family history would tell you that my first labor should not have gone that well :haha: We have rough labors, so something worked!

:hugs:

just popping in from 2nd tri :)

With my first pregnany, I took RLT from 34 weeks 3 times a day. I was induced at 41+5 and my labour altogether was 2 hours and 17mins (pushing stage was 30mins).

I'm not sure if it helped or not as nothing to compare it to but I did have a natural labour. Unfortunately I did tear but that was probably my fault as I didn't want the 'ring of fire' pain to last too long so I pushed when they told me to stop and breathe. My labour was amazing :)

I used with my first pregnancy, and definitely think it worked. 1hr 40mins labour and my DD basically oushed herself out as I wasn't in the delivery suite at the time! Not sure whether to take this because the guidelines suggest 'not to take if you have had a previous quick labour' but if I get the thumbs up I will definitely be trying it again!

I took RLT when pregnant with my daughter, starting off with 1 capsule a day at around 35 weeks and gradually increased to 5 a day. Some days I did a mixture of tea and capsules.

It didn't help bring in labour (I went a week overdue) but I did have a super speedy 3 hour labour and went from 1cm to holding baby in my arms in the space of 1 hour! Only took two or three involuntary pushes and she popped straight out. Hoping for the same (if not quicker) this time round! X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->