Re Increase in C Sections

GeorgeyGal

Reaction score
Ive started hypnobirthing but my midwife has said the increasein c sections is due to hospitals not wanting to be sued. Is it possible to turn down a c section if you feel everything is fine and you want to in fact take your time?

You can turn down any procedure including cesareans if you're not comfortable with it and don't feel that there's a true indication for it.

You can turn down any procedure including cesareans if you're not comfortable with it and don't feel that there's a true indication for it.

WSS ^

If I'm not mistaken you actually have to sign something to have a section (unlike some of the other practices they just have to inform you) so don't worry hun they can't do anything without your consent. Once you get there and they see how control you are of your own body they'll respect that you know what you're talking about and back off (well hopefully, but those who go in, in control, come out in control)

That said, have you ever thought about giving birth at home? I remember starting my Hypno courses thinking they would be great so I can stay in control while I'm in hospital. No way did I want to do this at home, maybe after the first but not right now. Then as I became more and more in tune with my body I realized how most of my concerns were actually surrounded around the hospital. My hypno practitioner helped me to see how much MORE control I would have at home. And now I'm have a home birth. Crazy really when I think back to around 10weeks pregnant googling the benefits of an epidural. :lol:

NICE guidelines state quite clearly that a woman who is of clear mind is within her right to refuse ant treatment/procedure.
I cant remember the exact wording though...

could be in either of these

intrapatrum care
https://www.nice.org.uk/nicemedia/live/11837/36280/36280.pdf

c-sections
https://www.nice.org.uk/nicemedia/live/10940/29331/29331.pdf

WSS ^

If I'm not mistaken you actually have to sign something to have a section (unlike some of the other practices they just have to inform you) so don't worry hun they can't do anything without your consent. Once you get there and they see how control you are of your own body they'll respect that you know what you're talking about and back off (well hopefully, but those who go in, in control, come out in control)

That said, have you ever thought about giving birth at home? I remember starting my Hypno courses thinking they would be great so I can stay in control while I'm in hospital. No way did I want to do this at home, maybe after the first but not right now. Then as I became more and more in tune with my body I realized how most of my concerns were actually surrounded around the hospital. My hypno practitioner helped me to see how much MORE control I would have at home. And now I'm have a home birth. Crazy really when I think back to around 10weeks pregnant googling the benefits of an epidural. :lol:

I thought so, I just dont want to be pressurised to have anything I dont want or need, even like have my waters broken! I've only had one hypno class so far and its like a switch has gone in my head and I feel so positive! I really want to try a water birth and Im quite happy with the hospital as my midwife is great and sings its praises as well as everyone else I have spoken to, I'll know more when I go for the hospital tour, Im about 20-30 drive away so I think at the moment I would feel better going in but I definately want to stay at home for as long as possible and you never know I might be so relaxed I give birth at home anyway!

When the doctors made the decision that they would like to give me a C-Section, the senior doc explained why then left me alone with my family (OH, MIL and my mum) to talk it through and decide. Which was great.

But we didn't have loads of time to think about it, or access to google. And he didn't say "I wanna section you cos there's a small chance of something going wrong and I don't want to be sued". He actually said "We wanna section you cos if we don't x,y or z could happen and we can't know if it will happen until it does".

Unfortunately, when decisions are to be made regarding interventions there's often not alot if anytime to really think about it and research it. While some midwives are excellent at providing clients with useful information in regards to the pros and cons of the interventions being recommended, the information provided by many practioners may very well be very biased and it may not even be evidence baswed. That's why it's really good to educate yourself as much as you can beforehand.

Knowing the following can be very helpful....
- What the common interventions are (cesarean, amniotomy, episiotomy, EFM, etc, etc)-- What are the indications for those interventions (are their variations among these variations among different hospitals, countries, what's the rationale for the differences, which indications do you feel are worthy of the interventions),
- What can you do to prevent those indications in the first place (eg staying mobile)
- If there those indications occur are there alternatives (eg nipple stimulation prior to an amniotomy or oxytocin augmentation)
- If you decline the intervention what is likely to happen? What's the worst thing that could happen? What's the likelihood that the worst thing would happen???

It's a alot of homework to do.... but when it comes to advocating for yourself and making educated decisions increasing your knowledge base regarding such things is absolutely essential.

When it comes to interventions, we learnt in my hypnobirthing class to use your brain:
B - benefits - what are the benefits to having the intervention, what are the benefits of not having the intervention? To mother/ to baby?
R - risks - risks or having or not having the intervention
A - alternatives - could you do anything else to do avoid the intervention
I - instinct - mothers instincts are very strong, if you instinctively feel that this intervention is not right then don't do it. (Your instinct might say that you feel the intervention is the best thing.)
N - nothing - sometimes just doing nothing is the best thing to do. Buy some time, by saying you want an hour, or 2 hours to see how things progress.

I really wish I had done a hypnobirthing class while pregnant! that sounds great!

the only thing I would say is that sometimes there isnt time to seek consent either - in my case it really was super urgent as LO was suddenly very poorly and I was passing out, they did not give me a choice they said we are going to theatre NOW or you will both be in great danger. I don't know what they would have done if I had said no I want time to think about it etc - actually i wasnt in a fit state to do that!
I was totally against having any unecessary interventions though and I had all those questions prepared in my head - asking what they think would happen if they didnt intervene in the way they wanted to, what would happen if I had 1/2 hour or an hour to keep trying, can the intervention wait an hour etc. Good to be prepared :) So rather than outright refusing, its more like a discussion / negotiation about both your agendas. good luck!

I've probably attended close to 40 or 50 sections over the years and I'd have to say that 99% of them were not a straight out emergency that could have been delayed by and hour or two. Bur you're right Elle, there is always the potential for "WE NEED TO ACT RIGHT NOW!!!!" emergencies where procedures are done stat without much discussion about it eg in your case, with cord prolapses, hemorrhages, prolonged episodes of fetal bradycardia with no recovery...... Fortunately, most "emergency" cesareans are not true act right now or it's life or death emergencies.

And sometimes cesareans are necessary. Cesareans save lives. And as much as one might hate to even think about such a thing it can be very beneficial to have a just in case plan prepared just in case a cesarean is needed that way you can stay remain in some control (in most situations) and can make the most of a not so ideal situation. (try googling Family Centered Cesareans....)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->