Reaching out

PresqueVu

Reaction score
I went to soft play today and there was a boy around 6 or so that clearly had special needs. He was placing his hands over his ears and making distressed/hooting sounds and wasn't making normal eye contact.

He reached out for my hand a couple of times and I took it (instinctive!) but had to release it and say "I'm sorry I do have to go to my baby" or similar. I don't know where his parents were, though they may well have been hovering close by. He never said actual words to me but seemed upset and was reaching out for mine, and my husbands, hand without looking at us.

I just wanted to ask your advice here girls on what you'd have wanted someone to do in this situation? Should I have alerted staff about this boy or was he actually okay?

He did seem fine after we left, just went back to sitting on a swinging thing but I'm concious that it might have been a big deal for him to reach out to someone and perhaps we didn't acknowedge that enough?

I have no idea what others would want you to do, especially those with ASD children ... but if my little boy were to reach out for your hand in softplay, then I'd be very happy if you acknowledged him and took his hand for just a minute :) Andrew is always reaching up to people and to other children at softplay, and too many of them brush him away or turn away so they can't see him. But that's his method of communicating, as he barely hears and doesn't talk.

If other children reach for me in softplay, I take their hand, smile at them, and lead them to the nearest safe toy to continue playing :)

My daughter has ASD and has issues around boundaries...and gets too close to people...not sure if this is what this boy was doing, or just trying to communicate with you, but I think you acknowledging him and talking to him was a good thing to do...and I think if my daughter was doing that....I mean, I wouldn't be mad if they ignored her, but I think I would be pleased if someone did notice and interacted with her. x

Hi Jasmak, thank you replying. I do think he was trying to communicate I just felt a bit sad that I had to effectively walk away from him to keep track of my guy - also wouldn't want to upset his parents.

I helped out at an RSPB thing once and was told I ABSOLUTELY COULD NOT take a childs hand if I found a lost kiddie wandering about...it is quite sad to have to think about things like that :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->