reaction from MIL unexpected.

BunNtheOven

Mom Expecting # 2!
Reaction score
I was dropping off my daughter (who is 3) so she could spend some time with her mom mom. She asked me what I was going to do while my DD was there and I responded by saying probably lay down for a while since I don't feel too well (MS). She jokingly said "are you pregnant?". I tried playing it off by saying "ha ha ha your funny." but then she insisted on asking again and said your pregnant aren't you. And she told me she was disappointed! WTF! Overall, she is a wonderful MIL, she helps out with everything she can possibly help with, she definitely over worries about everything though. I know this is her worrying trait kicking in but still!!!!! Then she asked if how I would even take care of two kids and I told her I was going to probably step down to part-time at work. And she spased more, telling me how that's not practical in this day in time and that's stupid, etc. After I tuned her out I just broke down and left her kitchen and walked to my car and she chased me to my car apologizing that's she loves me like a daughter and just worried. I don't understand!!! We had a house, he has had the same job (a police officer) for 15 years and I have a pretty decent job with crazy hours (Hence, Why I would do part-time) and you want to spas over our 2nd child?!?!? :/

I haven't told my OH. I didn't wanna tell him, all this would do is start a war between them and I don't want that. I know in her heart she's just a true worrying person but it definitely hurt. :/ I obviously thinking that her finding out by me and not OH was a blessing in Disguise since i know my OH would have went off on her and probably would say something he would end up regretting.

Anyone else deal with this?!?

It's a bad reaction but she sounds like she really cares for you. Is she generally a worrier

Wow, I can see how that would hurt and just not feel good to hear... Different people can have such different reactions to the same news, based on their own experiences, beliefs, etc. It sounds like it all just came out completely wrong what she said and she realized that these are comments best kept to oneself!!

Two kids is not like a huge family, it's almost weird that you'd get a comeback like that about having a second. Normally people are more judgey and "omg" in that way about 3-4+ kids and will make comments about a sibling for an only child!

Wow, I can see how that would hurt and just not feel good to hear... Different people can have such different reactions to the same news, based on their own experiences, beliefs, etc. It sounds like it all just came out completely wrong what she said and she realized that these are comments best kept to oneself!!

Two kids is not like a huge family, it's almost weird that you'd get a comeback like that about having a second. Normally people are more judgey and "omg" in that way about 3-4+ kids and will make comments about a sibling for an only child!

That's why I was so caught off guard!! She had 3 children herself! I feel like maybe she worries about her son, thinking maybe he couldn't handle it. But OH is excited! I know deep down she's just cares but it definitely came out wrong and she came real quick to like ask questions after questions about what I'm doing to do with 2 kids! I know that we both work a lot, but I'm going to step down to part-time. And she's spasing that she doesn't want her to see us tight for money because I stepped down to part-time. We will be okay!

We don't plan on telling my MIL for awhile. The last time I told her I was miscarrying her response was "Sh.. you're pregnant!" So yeah she is going to be one of the last to find out!

We don't plan on telling my MIL for awhile. The last time I told her I was miscarrying her response was "Sh.. you're pregnant!" So yeah she is going to be one of the last to find out!

I don't blame you. She was better this evening when I went back. I think the shock came through.

She sounds like she really does care deeply about you and isn't disappointed about the BABY, of course, just disappointed that you are gonna have to change your lives so much and figure all this out. A lot of people feel that kids are so much more expensive and difficult than they really are. Job security, a nice home, a stable marriage, you've got it all together. Congrats on your second baby! My oldest - also 3 - would tell you just how rewarding and special it is to be an older sibling. :)

My grandmother wasn't excited about this baby either. She worries way to much and I think is more concerned about me. But you know who will be the first person up to the hospital...her!

I don't blame you. She was better this evening when I went back. I think the shock came through.

Glad she was better towards you!

Glad she was better towards you!

Me too, but I can still tell she's not pleased. And OH has felt this from them as well, so his feelings are hurt and wants to avoid his parents for a while. :nope: Not good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->