Reaction to a new baby...

lauandbump

Reaction score
Hi all

I just wondered if anyone would share how they managed their older children when it came to introducing a new baby? My daughter is 5 and we have number 2 due in 8 weeks and i'm starting to get worried! My LO is really excited atm about the baby coming but i really don't think she realises what is happening or how much life is going to change! She has got so used to being number one and our only baby i worry about how her little mind will cope with having to share us...

Family members have told me to buy her a little present from the baby which i will and to make her 'chief helper'. I have also been telling her that she will be the baby's favourite person and that she will be really important as a big sister.

I'm probably worrying over nothing and within a few weeks it will all just fall into place but i'm just so worried my big girl will get upset over the new arrival and i hate thinking of her being sad :(

Thank you for any help xxx

Didn't want to R&R. My SD is 7. She was so excited through my pregnancy and talked to my belly all the time. Now we are dealing with some jealousy, which is normal, but she still loves to help. She helps feed, we have her sit on the couch with a pillow under her arm and hold the baby, both just for cuddles or for feeds if she asks. She loves to help. Kids that age generally do.

I let her pick out the babies clothes if she asks.

I let her mix the formula with water.

We found the big thing with Evie was to let her help as much as possible, obviously there's not much she can help with at this age, especially with a tiny preemie, but she can help some. She can give kisses. She can play with the baby.

Let her help if she wants to, and make sure to have special one on one time with your elder while baby sleeps.

Didn't want to R&R. My SD is 7. She was so excited through my pregnancy and talked to my belly all the time. Now we are dealing with some jealousy, which is normal, but she still loves to help. She helps feed, we have her sit on the couch with a pillow under her arm and hold the baby, both just for cuddles or for feeds if she asks. She loves to help. Kids that age generally do.

I let her pick out the babies clothes if she asks.

I let her mix the formula with water.

We found the big thing with Evie was to let her help as much as possible, obviously there's not much she can help with at this age, especially with a tiny preemie, but she can help some. She can give kisses. She can play with the baby.

Let her help if she wants to, and make sure to have special one on one time with your elder while baby sleeps.

This is exactly how it was after my 5th was born, cus the older 4 were the only ones I was afraid to bring in another NEW person in considering my older 4 were 12.5 to 7 years old. So it was kind of interesting. They ask to help out they ask to babysit they ask to do this and do that. I get the jealousy stuff, I get the OMG hes annoying. I get it all. You really can not be prepared for the what ifs and the could it, and all that. Trust me. I got pregnant with my 6th and was told by my oldest that he hated it and etc, then he was born, and hmmmm whos the number one helper? My oldest. Go figure. I dreaded my 6th babies birth because of that. But you can never be certain exactly how things will go. Just go with the flow and take it as that. Get her the present and dont change much in your routine. :) Congrats. and Congrats to new big sis soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->