Read any good books lately?

ImSoTired

mommy to 2 girls
Reaction score
Anybody read any good books lately? I've been reading a lot the last few mon ths since I left my job. Any suggestions?

I'm reading the memoir done by Jaycee Duggard. Highly recommend it, if you can read that kind of thing. It's very well done. She's a smart woman for having only been educated to the fifth grade.

'The Hunger Games' series, 'The Help', and 'The Rescue'. So you've got post-apocalyptic drama, comedy, and romance.

I've been meaning to read Jaycee's book and for some reason I haven't gotten it yet! Thanks for the reminder Ozzieshunni.

It's a very quick read. I have a hard time putting it down.

I didn't even know she had a book out. I never used to read because I had a very demanding job and when i got home I was exhausted. Now I've been reading for a few months and I blew through like a dozen books. Some where better than others. Thanks for the suggestions ladies!:winkwink:

I read Jaycee Dugard's book too recently, it was really quite good :thumbup: It was written simply, but then she never had a highschool education so it's to be expected. Very inspirational read.

Do you read Marian Keyes? She writes brilliant books. My favourite of hers is "Anybody Out There?"

I read Jaycee Dugard's book too recently, it was really quite good :thumbup: It was written simply, but then she never had a highschool education so it's to be expected. Very inspirational read.

Do you read Marian Keyes? She writes brilliant books. My favourite of hers is "Anybody Out There?"

I've never read Marian keyes but I'm open to anything. I don't really have a pattern or specific author yet that I am into reading. I just read what I can borrow from friends. Thanks for the suggestions.

I've never read Marian keyes but I'm open to anything. I don't really have a pattern or specific author yet that I am into reading. I just read what I can borrow from friends. Thanks for the suggestions.

She's a really good read, light hearted, a good 'girly' author. But...written with more intelligence than a usual fluffy chick book if that makes sense? :lol:

I love her books. Very easy reads. I like adele parks too (even easier read) and Jodi picoult. I am currently reading 'we need to talk about Kevin' as I want to see the film but I like to read the books first. So far I'm loving if :)

She's a really good read, light hearted, a good 'girly' author. But...written with more intelligence than a usual fluffy chick book if that makes sense? :lol:

I love her books. Very easy reads. I like adele parks too (even easier read) and Jodi picoult. I am currently reading 'we need to talk about Kevin' as I want to see the film but I like to read the books first. So far I'm loving if :)

I will have to check it out :thumbup: I haven't read any Adele Parks but I will add her to my 'to read' list, and LOVE Jodi Picoult..

I thought I would revive this thread. I just got done reading 2 jodi picoult books. Very good. I also like Christopher Moore when I want something silly with a happy ending. And more suggestions from you ladies?

What about some classics pride and prejudice, Dracula, wuthering heights, the dubliners, war and peace or great expectations can't beat a timeless classic :thumbup: I'm a litrature student and I love guilty pleasure books like the girl with the dragon tattoo, the hunger games, the harrypotters:cloud9: but yeah classics are awesome too

Come check out the Currently Reading thread in the Books and Reading section in the groups forum. There's a sort of ongoing list of things people have been reading lately and lots of us have reading threads and post reviews. It's a place to look, anyway! :flower:
Meanwhile, I second trying a classic or two. I have a beaten up complete works of Jane Austen that is my ultimate comfort read.
For newer works, here are a few that I have read lately and enjoyed:
1) Flavia de Luce mysteries by Alan Bradley - great mysteries with one of the funniest, most original protagonists seen in awhile. There are currently four books out. The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie is the first one.
2) A set of books by Maile Meloy: Liars and Saints (read this one first) and A Family Daughter. She's a wonderful contemporary writer.
3) Damned by Chuck Palahniuk - a very very funny novel about a 13-year old girl who wakes up in hell and has to figure out how she got there. Described as "Inferno meets the Breakfast Club". Really enjoyed it.
4) For a huge long epic, George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire deserves the praise and attention it has garnered. I am not the biggest fantasy fan, but I think he's written a classic here. It's very very violent, though. That is a downside for me.

I agree, I've read quite a few classics and I loved them. I just like to get ideas of what I might like for future reference and I would enjoy talking about books with people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->