reading levels/band

sabby52

Mother, Nanny
Reaction score
Just being a little nosy, plus wanting to see if my son is on track :)

What age is your child/ children and what reading level/band are they? ?

That's kind of a hard one to compare as schools use different banding. My sons school uses colours. He's in year 2 and is on orange banded books. I would say that the books he is reading are similar to The Gruffalo.
Also it depends on the teacher. During year 1 his teacher kept him on a lower level book band but his new teacher is encouraging him more and he put Daniel on a higher level because he knew he'd respond well to it.

I have no idea what band or level my Eldest is on at School. They take him to the Key Stage 2 Library for him to pick a book rather than the collection for Reception. He has brought some randoms home including World War II & Chemistry.

At home, he is currently reading an Encyclopedia & Roald Dahl collection.

DS is 6 almost 7 and currently on level 2-4 of the Kipper books. He does have autism though so will behind the rest, but at least he's reading some books by himself, which is more than he did last year. Although he can read the collection of Dr Seuss' books as they interest him.

DS1 was 5 in August and is in year 1, they have colour bands on their books. He's on green that vary in style from comic strips to information to general stories.

My DD is 8 and her reading level has been pretty much too high to be measured for about 1.5 years years now. She has always been a strong reader. She can read pretty much anything. She LIKES reading things like the Famous Five and other similar Enid Blyton books.
Obviously with more complicated books though she would struggle more with comprehension rather than reading. She can read all words perfectly, but whether she knows what they mean is another matter.

For example, if I pick up one of my books here, Lydia would be able to read this fine :

"It was just possible, Colin Gomez conceded, that his self-justifications had been just a bit too glib."

But she wouldn't have a clue what it meant lol.

So her reading level his extremely high, but her comprehension level is about that of the Famous Five or perhaps JUST slightly higher.

My DS1 is 6 and he struggles a fair bit. He can manage some Julia Donaldson books, for example the Whale and the Snail, but nothing more complicated that that. Even then he would have to take it very very slowly and sound out each word extremely carefully.

My DS2 is 4 and he can't read yet - I'm going to start teaching him soon though, I'd like him to have the basics down before be starts school in September.

Colour bands should be similar order in all schools. They start in foundation pink red yellow blue green then I get bit mixed up maybe orange purple turqoise white in y2

My son is 10 and reads Harry Potter, my daughter is 9 (has autism) and reads small novels, my daughter is 3, and can read Shakespeare ;) Haha. We don't have levels here....they are on grade level though. Not behind. My son is grade 5, my daughter is grade 3

What reading stage is your son on Sabby? (I'm a teacher) x

What reading stage is your son on Sabby? (I'm a teacher) x

He is in Primary 2 which I believe is year 1, he turned 6 in October and his reading stage at the moment is 10-11, his books have a white or lime green colour band and they also say level 22-24, so I am kind of confused at what this all means lol x

Hi Sabby, assuming they are white band books your sons reading then he's doing incredibly well for his age. Over here our book Bands (in many schools) run as follows:
Pink
Red
Yellow
Blue
Green
Orange
Turquoise
Purple
Gold
White
Lime

The 'average' child we would hope would be reading turquoise books by the end of year 1.

But if in doubt just ask your child's teacher x

That is the colour scheme used in my DS's school, he started year 2 in September and has read near enough all the lime books.

At home he is currently reading the Enchanted Wood book set to me :flower:

Both of mine went on to 'free readers' in yr 2.That means they weren't on colours/levels anymore and read difficult books aimed at teenagers/adults.Nathan has been tested at high school and his reading age is 18+ (he turned 12 this month)

There's a lot of really good on here. My son is on orange - he's not too bad at really, he's just a bit inconsistent. He also only really enjoys reading when it's his choice.

You might find your son is better at maths,pe,science or design.They all have their individual skills :)

Sophie is 6, 7 in august. Shes in year 2 and has just gone onto Stage 10 reading books. No idea if that's average or not but i'm very happy with how she is doing!

You might find your son is better at maths,pe,science or design.They all have their individual skills :)

lol - i know that's true and his talent will come out at some point but at the moment he isn't better at anything - he's fairly poor all round. He does love science but because his writing and maths is so poor (compared with his classmates) he does get a bit stuck with it all.

Now year 4 - Free choice reader since midway though Year 1. I believe lime green was is last reading level before free choice reading?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->