Reading too much into it?

XKatX

Reaction score
I hope I don't offend anyone with this thread? It is certainly not my intention too.
As some of you know, I had my 22 week scan last week. All went really well. The sonographer said that the baby was measuring large - at the top of the graph (both me and OH are tall, so it's not that surprising really).
I went into work today and all the girls were excited to ask how it all went. I told them and also said about bubs measuring large, but all was healthy.
A bit later, one of them came to me, looking quite flustered. She grabbed my hands and said that I musn't tell people that the baby is big, that this is a bad thing. I asked her why and she wouldn't say, just ket repeating that it is a bad thing and I shouldn't be telling people.
I couldn't work out why she would say such a thing and asked around. The only thing that we could think of was cultural, religous or supersticious reasons.
She is from India (not sure which part), and is very strong to her culture and faith.
I am not agiainst any of this, but the way she said it and the look in her eyes, really put me on edge.
Am I reading too much into this, or does anyone know of her reasoning??
Sorry for the long one!!

Didn't want to read and run hun but i would try not to worry about it. I've never heard anything like that before so it might be a cultural things. As long as bubs is healthy thats all that matters.

i think she meant this in a religious way, was asking my friend about some idian beliefs and all that and some religions believe a large baby means difficult delievery, and something about bad sprits around it. not sure exactly, what they mean but thats sorta what she said to me.

This is actually annoyed me kat..... dont listen to her!!! Ok its her religion or faith but why preach??!?! I would have told her a piece of my mind!!! Its up to you what you tell people about your baby!!

There is absolutely no prob that your baby is measuring large as long as the mw and docs are happy!!!
A bad thing!!??! HOW Goddam rude :hissy:
hun please dont worry :hugs:

I have no idea why she would say that... but :hugs:

I can only hazard a guess its something to do with her religion ... ok respect her beliefs and dont tell HER its big in future lol but if its not your belief then pay no attention hun

Is she really small by any chance? lol Something against tall people?

Seriously, don't worry! They aren't your beliefs anyway but I think she was just meaning it nicely cos she doesn't want you to have difficulot labour...read this;

https://www3.baylor.edu/~Charles_Kemp/indian_health.htm

Under pregnancy it states; Overeating is not recommended, as it is believed to result in a very large baby and a subsequently difficult delivery.

Thought that may be of interest. xxx

I can only hazard a guess its something to do with her religion ... ok respect her beliefs and dont tell HER its big in future lol but if its not your belief then pay no attention hun

I'm agree with polo princess :hugs:

Glad your scan went well x

Is she really small by any chance? lol Something against tall people?

Seriously, don't worry! They aren't your beliefs anyway but I think she was just meaning it nicely cos she doesn't want you to have difficulot labour...read this;

https://www3.baylor.edu/~Charles_Kemp/indian_health.htm

Under pregnancy it states; Overeating is not recommended, as it is believed to result in a very large baby and a subsequently difficult delivery.

Thought that may be of interest. xxx

Thanks for this link. Although it is quite interesting, as she is always maing sure that I have eaten well during my shifts (we do quite long days), so I don' think it's the eating thing! She also knows that I certainly don't eat too much!

I just wanted to add that I'm not really that upset by this, it's just the way she said it! I would be less bothered if she admittted why she said it. Each to their own and I cetainly wouldn't be offended by why she said it. It's her belief. Just an odd one thats all!

Aslong as your midwife,and the sonographer wasn't concerned then I wouldn't worry hun. I don't know why she would have said this, but maybe you could ask her? Or tell her it made you feel uncomfortable. I don't know.

I just wanted to add that I'm not really that upset by this, it's just the way she said it! I would be less bothered if she admittted why she said it. Each to their own and I cetainly wouldn't be offended by why she said it. It's her belief. Just an odd one thats all!

Your def more patient then me then!!!

I really got annoyed with comments throughout my pregnancy which have eased off slightly now!! But I dont think anyone has a right to tell you what and what not to do!! Its your baby and your body!! But as my friend has experienced the comments dont stop once LO is here!!!

I overhead my OH's mums BF (whose a complete knob) say I must be carrying triplets.... :hissy:!! If it wasnt my nieces 1st birthday would have gave him a piece of my mind!!! Idiot!!

Glad it hasnt got to you though :hugs:

Hmmmm I know in which direction I would be pointing my foot!:rofl:

As for the big thing and bad birth etc, I had a 10 lb 14 oz girl 9 years ago, She was actually easier to deliver because of her weight and there are no bad spirits around her, shes a sweetheart!! And I never overate, nor am I big! Im 5ft 5 and a size 10, 9 stones 5 lbs.......her dad wasnt that bag either, just quite tall!

As long as :baby: is healthy, thats all that matters!

Thankyou everybody. Baby is very healthy so far, MW and sonographer are happy, so so am I!!
And as for having a big baby, I really don't care as long as it comes out healthy!! (oh and it's new clothes fit that I've just bought for it!!!!):rofl::rofl:

don't worry about it...
my husband is from North Africa and he is always going on about the 'black eye' . it creeps me out a bit cos he really believes in it. when i first discovered i was pregnant i didn't actually tell a lot of people until i was about 17/18 weeks gone!

it could be the same thing with this lady from work.....

Christine
X

Yea im guessing its about religion :grr: i HATE it when people preach to you!! Hope she was just meaning it in a nice way though :hugs:

Im sure she just was concerned in a genuine way, It doesnt sound like she meant to be preaching. It can be hard to take different cultures sometimes.

Dnt worry, you and your hubby are tall people, so of course your baby should be taller!

How strange.I have never heard anything like this.

And personally,I think she was wrong to tell you this.I understand and respect the fact that she is faithful to her believes but you don't share her religion and there is no point for her to tell you these things...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->