Real smiles vs. gas smiles

Lunachick

Reaction score
Hi ladies, I'm just wondering at what age do babies smile for real? My DD is 6 weeks tomorrow and recently has given me these big, genuine looking smiles right after I'm making silly noises or just talking to her, not like her faint, gassy smiles. What age did you notice your LO giving you real smiles?

My health visitor told me that all smiles are genuine and no idea where the 'it's just wind' thing comes from.

If I remember correctly, my boy was 5 weeks old when he smiled for the first time.

They say gas smiles will just be their mouth moving reflexively but a real or 'social' smile will last longer and involve them smiling with their eyes as well and in response to people. My little girl gave us her first genuine smile at 2 weeks but I think she is very early. 5-6 weeks sounds common to me!

My LO was about 5 weeks. I knew it was a real smile as his whole face lot up and his eyes smiled too, where as with a 'wind' smile it was just his mouth

Both of mine were very early, DS the day before three weeks and DD at three days (no kidding!) She was two weeks overdue though, so about the same 'age' as DS, who was born on his due date.

We started getting proper smiles at 2-3 weeks here :)

I would say a gassy smile at this age is normally closed mouth but a proper smile is a big grin.

This was last week at 5 weeks :)

https://i1323.photobucket.com/albums/u584/kr15snw/AAE043E1-1119-4B57-BFE7-0C5B9B19B54D_zpsocxy22s8.jpg

My LO first smiled at 18days old, then 21 days was her second and at 23days I managed to catch her third one on camera! :) so 2-3 weeks.

You can tell in their face, you know when it's real.

I agree with PP, gassy smiles tend to be with mouth shut whereas real ones tend to be more like grins, you can usually see it in their eyes too.

DD was smiling between 2-3 weeks, my other 3 were all between 4-6 weeks though. :)

My son was 3 weeks when he first smiled properly, it was when I was talking to him and his whole face lit up, melted my heart

I've never seen a wind/gas smile! Babies smile in the womb. My son smiled as a reflex from birth but socially from 4 weeks. My daughter also smiles smiles from birth but socially from 7-8 weeks.

Sorry my phone is being silly. Should be smiled from birth.

Proper smiles from 4 weeks and 6 weeks with my two. All the "windy" smiles happened while falling asleep usually... The difference was very obvious.

5-6 weeks. OH said he thinks it's probably nature for it to happen around that time, as parents are totally knackered and need a boost of something!!!:haha:

My dd2 was 2wks old when she started smiling. Here is a picture of her at 3wks :)

https://i1304.photobucket.com/albums/s521/paigesmummyxx/sept%202013/20130930_163328_zps492a896c.jpg

I think it was around 4-5 weeks here. I could tell because it happened first thing in the morning, same time each day, and it involved the eyes not just the mouth. Sounds like you've been seeing real smiles, congratulations!
xx

my LO first smiled properly at 7 weeks. She smiled a few times before but that was more just face reflexes. When she smiled properly she smiled with her eyes too and her whole face lit up :cloud9:

My doctor told me they start smiling socially once they can fixate on faces.

My Lo did it at 1 month old exactly (so just over 4 weeks)

Hi ladies, I'm just wondering at what age do babies smile for real? My DD is 6 weeks tomorrow and recently has given me these big, genuine looking smiles right after I'm making silly noises or just talking to her, not like her faint, gassy smiles. What age did you notice your LO giving you real smiles?

all smiles are real.

i mean, who smiles at gas pain!?

I agree, mine never smiled when they had to fart or burp. They just grunted and it came out lol!

My midwife with Thomas said he was smiling in response to her face as a little baby. She wrote "already smiling!" at his 2 week check. I'm guessing she would know seeing as she saw a lot of babies.

https://i1345.photobucket.com/albums/p666/teddynorman/IMG_20140901_070354_zps3um90oxm.jpg

I wasn't all that convinced but he did smile for her more than me!

I never actually thought they were real gas pain / gassy smilies iykwim, more of a nickname kind of thing but I don't actually think that all smiles are real either.
I think that I would class 'real' smiles as a 'social' smile like with their eyes and all, either that or all mine were smiling by at least a week lol

I think you can just tell in their faces. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->