Really Nervous pap at almost 5 weeks !!

Morgan W

Reaction score
I have my first prenatal appt at a new doctor. I just had a pap in September. I am so nervous to get one while pregnant. I have read these horror stories about miscarrying after a pap. Is it safe?? I need my mind to be eased. Can I request they not give me one this early and get my files from my old doctor so they can see it wasn't abnormal.

Okay, so you should I know at least in the states (unsure where your from) even pregnant you only need one a year. So you can just let them know you already had one and they will send it over (insurance won't cover two a year even if pregnant)

Secondly,
They will check for clamidia (spelling) at your first and 25th week because it can cause damage to the baby and all that is a q tip in your whoo whoo:) lol

even if they have to do a pap its not a big deal pregant. I have always had complicated pregnancys and they have done much worst things down below! No worries!

Pap smears are a safe and a routine part of prenatal care. It might make you spot a bit afterward because the cervix is more easily irritated when you're pregnant, but it definitely shouldn't cause a miscarriage.

I just had one on Friday. I bled a fair amount that day, but the doctor warned me that I would since the cervix is enlarged and engorged with blood. A bit of surface bleeding doesn't compromise the cervix. All is still well with my pregnancy.

i just had one, too, at my first prenatal appt. the np said that the cervix is very vascular during pregnancy, and i would spot for a day or two. i had a bit of pink when i wiped the first time after the pap. i have been fine since. it is a routine part of the exam, but you always have the right to refuse a procedure if you don't feel comfortable with it.

If you JUST had a pap done and it was normal, you don't need another one... But it's perfectly safe. You're getting more cervix irritation than that when you have sex. ;)

I agree with the other ladies who have had said you really shouldnt need one if you have had one within a year, especially just two months ago. But I had one with my last pregnancy and everything was fine. I think I was in my second tri tho, but I dont think it matters. Good luck! :)

Everyone is giving good advice here - if you had one already recently and especially if you've never had an abnormal one, don't be afraid to tell them no. If they push, find a new place - seriously! Unless they have sound reasoning for it, from my years of having annual paps (and my years of previous docs trying to bill my insurance up the wazoo...), I've never had to have one more than once a year.

I haven't had one while pregnant, but I have always bled because of them - sometimes for a day or two and once (ouch) enough to have to wear a liner all day, when I've gotten them. So... try not to go nuts if you DO have one and you spot!

i had one 2 weeks ago and i was completely fine, you'll be okay :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->