really starting to feel like im failing again

smokey

Mummy to a monkey
Reaction score
Im still not producing any colostrum, I know the milk takes time and I except that but I would have thought id have some colostrum by now.
He's losing interest in latching on when he was so great at it at first because there is nothing there for him.

I thought that if I got a electric pump so during the times hes not on the boob I can still try getting something going but typicaly the pump worked for about 10 minutes then broke so hubby is in town getting it changed.
Hes also getting me some cream because everything is so sore.
The pain I can deal with its the thought of not producing anything and having him lose interest that's getting to me.
Hes had a few mouthfuls from the bottle just to give him something but I really didn't want to go down that route.
Even after 30 mins with the hand pump there was just nothing there, not even a drop of colostrum, surely I should be getting something even if it was just a few drops.

I really wanted to do it this time after LO1 refused to even entertain the idea of BF.

I was worried that I wasn't producing colostrum in the hospital so the midwife suggested trying to express a bit to put my mind at ease. I spent ages trying to hand express some - about an hour - but nothing came out. Another midwife told me its really hard to express colostrum and some people can't do it at all. She also said that baby doesn't even really need any food for first couple of days because of all the fat reserves in their body.

So maybe you are producing colostrum without realising?

Hope it works out for you. You'll feel a lot better when your milk comes in. I know I did!

Good luck :thumbup:

Often you can't easily express colostrum, and stressing will make it pretty harder. Keep doing what your doing, Hun. Your milk will come in. Babies are designed to go through this time. It makes people nervous because many are so used to the feeding habits of formula babies, which are very different (formula is much less nutritious than breastmilk ounce per ounce, so babies need much more of it and their belles stretch out fast. What makes you son sure you don't have colostrum?

I could have written this two weeks ago! Honestly keep latching baby on and feeding when he wants! If you HAVE to you could top him up with a bottle I did this with my son until my milk came in and cut them out, but if baby is interested and latching keep at it! It will get better! xx

Im feeling so much better about it this afternoon, my colostrum suddenly kicked in and leaking everywhere and Andrew has just had a good hour munch :)
I have had to compramise though and get some nipple shields due to very inverted nipples but it worked and i can live with that.
Is it normal to have leaking ducts so far away from the actual nipple, i have several around the edge of the areola nearly a inch away from the nipple but on 2 ducts on the actual nipple (the other side still isnt doing anything yet)

Yes, that can be normal. Glad you are feeling better!

Thats so good, stick to it, its a great feeling when you finally get there lets hope it gets easier from now on x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->