Really struggling with sleeping positions

Leila Fae

Mummy to Andrew
Reaction score
During first tri I could sleep for England. Into early second tri now and although I'm still shattered I'm having real trouble getting comfy. My ankles and lower legs really swell up during the day so I need to keep them elevated at night. My preferred sleeping position is half on my side and half on my front which with my emerging bump isn't possible. Second choice is on my back which isn't ideal.

When I'm on my side my hips hurt which is relieved a bit by having a pillow between my knees but then my top ankle isn't elevated enough for the swelling to drain away :dohh:

I have a pregnancy pillow but that doesn't accommodate the ankle elevation and I've not worked out how best to use it yet. In the mean time I toss and turn all night annoying both myself and DH. Oh dear!

I'm also having issues with sleeping positions. If I stay in one position for too long, I begin to ache all over so I have to wake up and turn to a different position like once every hour at night. The quality of sleep I've been getting has decreased significantly since first tri. I hope someone has some good advice!

My back and neck hurt so much every morning from the way i've started sleeping every night. I was a very still back and stomach sleeper pre-pregnancy and now sleeping on my sides and switching around all night is putting me all out of whack. But I don't feel comfortable on my back anymore, feels too heavy :(

i've always slept on my left side so thought, 'great, don't have to change anything' - I wish - i now curl up on my left to wake a few hours later with my left arm completely dead and then end up sleeping on my front as my arms get in the way?! :dohh:

i can only get comfy on my back :( i go to sleep on my lelt side but wake up after hour or so and have to lie on my back for abit. OH snoring and the constant urge to go to the loo doesnt help either
x

I can only get comfy on my back, or curled up on my right, but insuch a way that there is no room for OH. Even then I keep waking up in the middle of the night for a few hours. Fortunately for DH he sleeps like a log, so the tossing and turning doesnt disturb him, but if I have got into the side position before he comes to bed, he gets the sofa, as he doesn't dare wake me up by moving me :/

I have the same problem, even though I have a pregnancy pillow my hips still hurt. And to make matters sweeter even I have horrible sciatica in my right buttock at the mo so that when I am trying to turn at night I wake up in pain and unable to move for a bit. I want to sleeeeeep WHAAHH!
As for Leila Fae's original question, have you tried putting something under the mattress at the foot end of your side of the bed? Maybe another pillow might do or if that is too slim maybe a two fat-ish books head to foot to each other?

ugh :(
I toss and turn every night as well. I got the preg-wedges. one for under your tummy and one for between your knees (if you are a side sleeper) it helps relieve back pain, as tummy isnt pulling it so much, and it helps my swelling, but even those are losing their touch...
sometimes its flustering, between tossing, and getting up to pee, as we know we're running out of time for sound sleep! lol.

i have to sleep on my left side.. nothing else is comfy for some reason.

I toss and turn all night also. I have started getting very achy in my hips, knees and ankles whenever they are still for very long, and the stiffness makes me feel like I'm 80! Add to that the constant peeing, and it's a miracle I get any sleep at all.

We are lucky that we have a very nice giant bed and so there is enough room for me to do gymnastics without waking up Husb. At least one of us is getting some sleep.

I'm having the same problem and have found our living room chair to be more comfortable, strangely enough. Otherwise, I take up the whole bed with 4 pillows and two blankets. lol

I'm having the same problem and have found our living room chair to be more comfortable, strangely enough. Otherwise, I take up the whole bed with 4 pillows and two blankets. lol

Luckily we have spare pillows that we keep in the closet for guests, otherwise poor Husb. would have nothing to sleep with. As it is, I think he's only got one, and I've got a body pillow and 4 regular ones.

I thought I was the only one going through this. Prior to pregnancy I generally slept on my back. Of course I'm trying not to do that now so I sleep on my sides. Yet, my hips start hurting (even with the pillow between my legs). This leads me to toss and turn all night. Which doesn't make for a very restful sleep. I shudder to think what it's going to be like as my belly gets bigger.

Me too! I was just telling my husband tonight that I'm waking up sore every morning and hurting since I can't find a good position and toss and turn at night. I talked to my mom about it and she said "You haven't seen anything yet" lol, thanks mom!

Glad I'm not the only one. I'm always restless. It sucks:( never comfy. Then when I do find the right spot I end up sleeping on an arm or something and it falls asleep:S

I'm constantly switching positions from one side to the other & invariably end up on my back. Last night I was wedged between my OH, a pillow & a hot water bottle...one of the first times I have slept soundly!

Aw ladies, it's good to know I'm not the only one! :flower:

I'm going to try different positions each night to see what works best.

I tried to sleep on my left even bought a maternity pillow and switched bed sides with my husband :( no luck! I sleep better on my back with my right leg on top of husband! To be honest I know sleeping on left is ideal but I can't cope with forcing myself to sleep on my left all night because my left ear and arm goes numb :( and from speaking to my cousins and friends they slept how they found comfy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->