Really want to do baby led, confused and no support.

disneydarling

Mama to a baby girl
Reaction score
My baby girl will be 6 months in a couple of weeks, and I really want to try baby led weaning with her.

I've researched the benefits quite a lot, so I feel really strongly that it is the right choice, but I'm feeling a bit nervous and scared.

I'm so worried about her choking. I've got no support from family or friends on this. My husband says he will go along with it because it's what I want to do, but our parents and siblings keep going on to me that I shouldn't do it (because they didn't!!)

I'm nervous about not giving her the right range of foods and stuff like that.

I really really want to BLW but I feel worried like I've got no support or nobody to ask questions to, did anybody else feel like this? And how did it all turn out?

Do you eat a generally well-balanced diet, or can you make it so when LO starts eating solids? If so, I don't think you need to worry at all. Half of the battle with food is attitude and if you are a good role model you're half way there! The other half is what you eat - as long as you're generally eating a decent mix of foods, LO will be fine. After all, BLW babies get to choose what they want from the plate and they will generally manage to make good choices.

I think I did feel nervous when starting BLW with my first, but it was also really exciting and fun and any worries disappeared within the first week. Try and focus on all the great things you will be able to introduce your LO to and how much you're both going to enjoy it. If it helps at all, both of my kids have been fully Baby Led Weaned and I don't think either child has ever choked. They're 4 years old and 2 years old now, so I'd say that's pretty good going. It might help to read up (or re-read!) about the difference between choking and gagging and what you should do for each (choking - help LO, gagging - get a cloth in case of mess and hide behind it). Also read about the gag reflex and how far forward it is at 6 months - your baby has her own natural protection. Pretty clever!

With regard to family, let your OH go along with it (mine did and he now tells everybody how great BLW was because he saw how it worked) and just stop listening to your parents and siblings. Unless they have really read about it, they aren't in a position to give good advice.

Do it! Go with your gut and do what you think is best!! Everyone has to give their opinion and just cause they didnt do it doesnt make it right or wrong...
I did blw and we eat pretty healthy and my son eats everything now. In fact he chooses to eat his veggies first!
Dont let others discourage you!

Here is a You Tube video on choking, why not pass it around to your family so they feel a bit more comfortable on what they will need to do if they baby chokes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4uS5EmpeEs

Explain to them about the gag reflex and how it is safer to give them finger food now before it moves further down the tongue around 8 months or so.

I got a lot of disapproval, I think they also thought I must be starving him by not filling him with baby mush. I tried my best not to rattle on about why I think it's better (as I'd just be implying they were wrong) and just tried to talk about why it'll be better for them. "Not long till he can have some of your roast dinner Mum!" and so on :winkwink:

I've tried my boy with a lot of foods and we've had gagging and he was sick once - but no choking at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->