Really worried about introducing a bottle...UPDATED!!

caitlyn2009

Reaction score
I am officially 2 weeks in to breastfeeding my son. Although I am still having some pain upon latching, I am loving the experience and so glad I am making it work because I wasn't able to with my daughter. Unfortionately, I will be returning to work when little man is 6 weeks old. I feel the need to start pumping soon, but worry about over supply. More than that, I am TERRIFIED to give him a bottle.... what if it messes everything up? I will probably wait another 2 weeks before introducing the bottle.

Experienced breastfeeders.... Please give me some confidence that everything will be okay. Any advice or tips for making this work. I will be devastated if something goes wrong. When breastfeeding failed with my daughter depression set in and I had a hard time shaking it.

Thanks in advance for all your input :)

I definitely don't class myself as an experienced breastfeeder (12 weeks into breastfeeding my first) but I introduced a bottle of expressed milk at 4 weeks as I worried if I waited she would reject it, but she took it ok (took a few goes for her to get the hang of it and had to make sure milk was warm enough for her). But she still breastfed fine, and she has around 1bottle a day and is happy to feed from both breast and bottle. Not sure if I just got lucky with her though. We have issues with major fussiness and refusing feeds but this happens with both breast and bottle.

Good luck. I hope it goes well.

We introduced the bottle at 4 weeks and it was fine. my dd never had an issue going back and forth from breast to bottle. I went back to work at 12 weeks and she still prefers the breast. I don't really have any tips... My husband, mom and mother in law always gave her bottles.

We introduced at 6 weeks. It took a couple days and trying a different bottle but he finally took it and haven't had any problems since. He still prefers the boob.

We introduced the bottle at 2.5 weeks and she did /does fine. We use bottled Breastmilk when we go on long drives and dh feeds her a bottle at night on occasion to give me a break

We introduced the occasional bottle at four weeks with both my sons and have had no problems with either.

Both preferred breast but could happily go between the two.

I just introduced mine to a bottle today, he is only 1 week and three days. I was advised by a lactation consultant to stop feeding on one side to allow my very sore and cracked bleeding nipple a chance to heal. She told me to pump on that exclusively until it does heal, and that I should be fine feeding him only on the other side until then. While that might have been true, he was literally nursing for hours at a time. Like this morning he went from around 9AM to nearly 1PM and still wanted more. I decided to give him 3 oz of the milk I pumped and he drank it like he was starving! I had my husband give him the bottle, in hopes that he doesn't get confused with me. He's been sleeping since so I haven't had the chance to try to nurse him yet, but when he does I'll let you know how it goes.

Just remember every baby is different! Mine had no problem using the bottle, and I'm hoping no problem transitioning back to the boob.

Update!
Today was the day... Conner is 3 weeks and 3 days old. I pumped 2 oz... handed it over to OH expecting major drama... If it isn't nipple, he doesn't want it in his mouth lol but he drank the whole bottle down. He played with the nipple a little bit but that was it. When the 2 oz was gone he cried for more so I nursed him and he latched right on like usual. Part of me was happy and part of me wanted him to show no interest lol

Just wanted to update in hopes it will help someone else who is nervous about introducing a bottle.

Thanks ladies for all your help. This forum has made breastfeeding a lot less stressful!

Thanks for update. My DD2 is 8 weeks and I plan on introducing her first bottle tomorrow (I have pumped since 5 weeks so have a stash).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->