Recently found out our baby has Down's Syndrome

I'm not sure if you're still reading this, you posted a while ago...

Anyhow, my third son has Downs Syndrome. I didn't know until after he was born and am I glad I didn't! I am not sure what I would have done had I known when I was pregnant, if I am honest and I suspect that is largely because I would have worried about his older siblings and also I had a lot of misconceptions about people with Downs. I was 27 when I had my third son, he is 9 next month.

In the early days/weeks/months, having a child with Downs isn't that much different to having a child without Downs. My son did have a speech therapist and physio from a couple of months old, he also needed open heart surgery at 6 months old, but day to day care was just like for any other baby really. Except he was really easy in that he never cried for a feed, slept through the night from birth and was generally undemanding and laid back.

As he has got older, the differences between my son and children without Downs have become more apparent, but I don't think about it too much tbh. My son is just who he is. His speech is very delayed, but he can say short sentences and communicate basic things with us. He likes to joke (well, he has two older brothers, they are 12 and 17 now) and he has a great sense of humour. His behaviour can be a bit challenging at times in that he doesn't always want to do what we ask, but he is mostly laid back and easy going. We are quite lucky in that he doesn't really get ill and so far has no sight, hearing or other problems associated with Downs Syndrome.

One thing I would never have really understood before I had him is that I feel just the same way about him as my other children. I love him and care for him just the same and he is just my son. He isn't 'my son with Downs Syndrome'.

His older brothers absolutely adore him, the eldest especially. I have thought about the future, but I don't think about it too much, what's the point, we don't know what will happen? I do know, without any doubt, that his brothers would always look out for him and make sure he is OK.

:hugs: must be such a shock for you.

Iv known many children with Down syndrome. they are the most beautiful people iv ever met. so loving and caring. They will require help all their life but u will have great rewards from them.

The best thing to do is research and to find a support group for you to go to. \Itll be a shock regardless but to meet people in similar situation or already have there special child with them its bound to help x

Can i ask what ur odds come out at before? xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->