Recipe help :)

C

Ceejay123

I fancy a change tonight, I'll have about 30 minutes prep time and a couple of hours cooking time after taking my lo to the fair tonight.

I fancy spaghetti bolognese, which I usually also make a lasagna with :) however, I'm bored of the same old recipe, yummy as it is. I fancy a variation.

So what are your spaghetti bolognese recipes? I'm not a fan of bacon/celery in mine, though I've done it before. It's usually simple, lots of oregano, a little garlic, some thyme.. I've also been told to use an oxo cube before, but never done it. Any ideas? :flower:

Edit - I can't add red wine as my son will be eating it. X

When I make it, I use canned chopped tomatoes, a couple of cloves of garlic, some herbs, tomatoe puree and the best ingredient so far... Worcestershire sauce! :)

I chop tiny carrots and celery with the onions in mine, I add the usual garlic, Italian seasoning, tomato purée a knorr beef stock cube and passata sauce rather than tinned tomatoes as I find this makes the sauce a tad sweeter, yummy.

I've heard that Worcester sauce makes it taste Lovely, but I've never been a fan of the sauce :( I may have to try that on a small section of it to see what it's like x

Can of chopped tomatoes + a carton of Passata (either with garlic/onion/basil in it)
Garlic
Herbs (usually dried)
Onion Powder
Grated mushrooms and carrots
Worcestershire sauce (a must!)

I fry the mince, drain the fat then add a Oxo cube.

ETA: I sometimes add a dollop of brown sauce in too. Sounds odd but it is very nice!

In all honesty, I usually go through my cupboards and add random things in.

I've never grated carrot in mine because I'm not a fan of veggies :$ but I've been thinking about it because of lo. Can you taste the carrot? X

I've never grated carrot in mine because I'm not a fan of veggies :$ but I've been thinking about it because of lo. Can you taste the carrot? X

Not really, that's why I grate them. The kids eat it all up. DH doesn't like mushrooms and so far hasn't complained. I do the same for shepherds pie. I would rather have chunky veg in mine.

Oh I sometimes put in Bernard Matthews Smoked Sausage (or Lidl's own) in it too (not particularly healthy but tastes nice :rofl:)

I like to make a veggie version by replacing mince with red lentils then adding cubed carrots, celery, courgette etc. Could add mushrooms but i don't like them!

Ooooh, I make a chorizio one and it's the scrummiest thing ever!

Chorizio Ragu

Ingredients:
250g mince
1 Chorizio sausage (200g i think!)
1 can chopped tomatoes
tomato puree
olive oil
1 onion (diced)
2 cloves garlic (chopped, squished etc)
glug of red wine
fresh flat leaf parsely
Dried or fresh Thyme - optional
Bay leaf - optional
pine nuts
real parmesan (for garnish)

Linguine

ok:
Mince your chorizio (bung in food processor, blender or chop really small by hand)
fry your chorizio until cooked (use a heavy pan, i use a Le Crueset)
Use a slatted spoon to remove chorizio from the pan, leaving the oil in the pan and put chorizio in a bowl.
Cook your diced onion and garlic in the pan with the chorizio oil, add a dash of olive oil
Once onion is soft, add your beef mince to the pan and cook
Once mince is cooked, add the cooked chorizio back in
Add: Tin of chopped tomatoes, 2 tablespoons of tomato puree, glug of red wine, some chopped parsley, thyme, bay leaf, salt and pepper to season
Cook on a low heat for 40ish minutes.

Once its cooked, serve over Linguine, with toasted pine nuts, fresh chopped parsely and parmesan

Enjoy

Oh, I'm sure you can leave the red wine out, but I've always left it in and have fed this to my daughter from about 1 year old... I'm sure it either cooks out, or knocks her out lol!

The alcohol will evaporate so that wouldn't be a problem :)

I always use an oxo cube, adds to the meatiness!

Alcohol doesn't actually cook off very easily, here's a chart

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->