Recovery after a Laparoscopy? Can I get back to daily life straight away?

Eliza_V

Wife and Mummy!
Reaction score
I'm having a laparoscopy in a couple of weeks (to look for endometriosis) and I was wondering if I would be able to do anything say, the next day? Since it's only a diagnostic procedure rather than the treatment I assume it's minimally invasive?

My DH can't really get much time off work (he'll have to argue just for this one day - on a Thursday) and I think the idea was I have the procedure in the morning, recover from GA, then come home and look after LO while he works from home, and then he'll go back the next day, then it's the weekend after that. The day after the procedure I was going to take her to a messy play group that I've paid for in advance.

6 days after the procedure I wanted to go back to my pole fitness class which is also paid for in 5-week blocks, and I'm already having to miss two weeks due to being down South and it seems like a waste of money if I miss more as it's already paid for and non-refundable!

Is this feasible? I'm seeing conflicting recovery stories on the internet? xx

Posted in two sections as I, ideally, need answers quickly as if I need more help at home then I have to reschedule for months and months away (sigh) ASAP.

I might need this done and have been having a look online. Most places say it will take a week to feel back to normal. Best to talk to the Dr though as they'll know best.

Hi,
I can only tell you my experience which was about a week later I felt normal. I have no children but there was no way I was going to do anything after having my op on the same day, and even the following day with the inlaws visiting, I could barely keep awake. I had to take lots of pain killers afterwards (had ovarian cyst removed) which made me spaced, too. I hope your experience will be different!

I had a laparoscopy for an ectopic. Was on morphine the first night, and then heavy painkillers for the next few days. Doctors reluctantly discharged me the next day so we could travel home (we were 200 miles away), the day after that I spent most of the day lying on the sofa. Was in a lot of shoulder tip pain due to the gas they put inside you to prevent adhesions. I was back at uni within 2 weeks and work within a month. My recovery was probably a lot slower than normal though as I nearly bled to death before being rushed into theatre.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->